Search

Mini Tour of NZ

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2007, 8:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
CHRISTCHURCH to AUCKLAND (CHC-AKL) on NZ 737-300

I pop into the lounge for a moment but the flight is called straight away. This flight is full, lots of passengers connecting to the late longhaul flights to Singapore, Hong Kong and Los Angeles.

I'm tired and so sleep much of the flight from takeoff until awaking as we descend over Auckland with lights sprawled out for miles around - the dark areas marking the dual harbours and many bays on both sides of the isthmus.

With a nice tailwind we arrive early.
Old May 7, 2007, 8:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

FLYING TOUR OF NEW ZEALAND

Continuing with the increasingly badly titled mini tour of New Zealand I pause for a moment of indulgence.

After lots and lots of international travel in the past few years, my schedule for 2007 was looking like I wouldn’t be able to fit much longhaul travel in. Don’t get me wrong, I still expect to do quite a bit by non-FT standards – say 2 or 3 round the world trips plus some other trips, however this is well down on the past few years. Instead my schedule currently suits short domestic trips.

Having recently flown to the last few of the 26 domestic destinations served by a major airline in New Zealand, I decided to set myself a new goal – to fly all 50 current domestic routes. I had previously flown quite a few of them, but the network schedules will pose some challenges to fit into my time constraints (as well as booking engine constraints) – particularly the routes served only once a day. I've now flown every domestic Air NZ route.

While I will collect a modest amount of mileage thanks to sector minimums, this is not a mileage run. Fare rules in New Zealand do not permit routings other than the most direct possible, and the cheapest domestic fares on Air New Zealand are non-mileage earning (with Qantas only having 6, soon to be 5, routes almost all flights are on Air New Zealand).

The current routes are listed below, and I’ll mark them off as I go.

From/To Auckland
From/To Hamilton
From/To Wellington
  • WLG-WRE first flown 2007 (Wellington – Whangarei)
  • WLG-HLZ first flown years ago & again in 2007 (Wellington - Hamilton)
  • WLG-TRG first flown 2007 (Wellington – Tauranga)
  • WLG-ROT first flown 2007 (Wellington – Rotorua)
  • WLG-TUO first flown 2007 (Wellington – Taupo)
  • WLG-GIS first flown 2007 (Wellington – Gisborne)
  • WLG-NPE first flown years ago & again in 2007 (Wellington - Napier / Hastings)
  • WLG-NPL first flown 2007 (Wellington – New Plymouth)
  • WLG-WAG first flown 2007 (Wellington – Wanganui)
  • WLG-PMR first flown 2007 (Wellington – Palmerston North)
  • WLG-BHE first flown years ago, and again in 2007 (Wellington - Blenheim)
  • WLG-NSN first flown years ago, and again in 2007 (Wellington - Nelson)
  • WLG-WSZ first flown 2006 (Wellington - Westport)
  • WLG-CHC first flown years ago, and again in 2006 & 2007 (Wellington - Christchurch)
  • WLG-TIU first flown 2006 (Wellington - Timaru)
  • WLG-ZQN (seasonal route) first flown years ago (Wellington - Queenstown)
  • WLG-DUD first flown 2006 (Wellington - Dunedin)

From/To Nelson
From/To Christchurch

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jun 14, 2007 at 3:40 pm
Old May 8, 2007, 8:46 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
FLYING TOUR OF NEW ZEALAND

I've now flown every domestic Air NZ route.
Congratulations, Kiwi Flyer !!!
Old Jun 14, 2007, 3:38 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

My latest trip report has AKL-WLG-AKL and AKL-ZQN-AKL on QF 737.

Air NZ has announced three new domestic routes to commence later in the year. The scheduling is not good for me to fit them in, so still working out how I can fly those.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 6:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

The Highs and Lows of Domestic Service

I don't normally post domestic flights unless it is a new route or something unusual happens. However a couple of FTers have suggested to me that some recent travel experience is sufficiently unusual to warrant a post or two.

I headed out to the airport for another early start to my flying day. Checked in quickly and upstairs through security. Surprisingly it was open at 0540, much earlier than normal. I'm only speculating but it may have had something to do with the stranded passengers from flights cancelled the previous night, and a diversion of last evening's Sydney to Wellington flight to Auckland.

While working on my email I meet up with serfty who is taking the same flight as me. It looks like we get ZK-JTR, a 737-400 and thus with more comfortable seats up front (and assigned to status passengers). Since we didn't manage to get adjacent seats pre-allocated, serfty swaps seats - window on one side for the window on the other. JTR bulkhead row has smaller cut-off section than most other jetconnect aircraft, so our small carryons go in the overhead bins. The carryon I often use would have still fit in the cut-out, but with snow at my next destination and risk of being stuck there I have brought more warm clothing with me thus requiring a larger carryon than normal.

Onboard service is the usual tea, coffee or water and a savoury danish. We departed on time and arrived on time. Not much view en route thanks to extensive cloud cover, but we were talking most of the way. Closer to Wellington the cloud clears and we get good views of the Marlborough Sounds, and snow-draped Kaikoura Ranges in behind. A fine example of the blocking effect of the South Island mountains.

On arrival we head to the lounge, meeting up with ntddevsys along the way. Serfty then heads off to enjoy the bracing morning while we trudge back to the gate for the return flight. Boarding is on time but slow, thanks to the following flight being cancelled and lots of passengers moved to this flight. The flight is full. There is an extended delay in closing the doors due to some paperwork - something about a broken seat?

The return flight is much the same as the way down, albeit arriving some 30 minutes late. Fortunately I had a comfortable connection to my next flight and thus was unconcerned about the delay.

So far so good. Next up a service let down.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

The next trip was to Queenstown. With the airport closed the previous day due to heavy snowfall and more snow falling today I knew it was iffy whether the flights would go ahead. Further, there was a real chance of getting in to Queenstown and being stuck there if the weather closed in while on the ground.

Indeed earlier in the day I had even volunteered to be rescheduled if it allowed someone who tried to fly down yesterday to make it today.

So on arrival back at Auckland I was interested to hear an announcement being made that the flight was delayed indefinitely. I then popped into the lounge only to be told that check in for the flight was closed at the moment. This is not a good sign. About half the time I've encountered this with jetconnect (Qantas domestic in New Zealand) the result is merely a delayed flight, and about half the time the result is a cancelled flight.

Oh well, at least I am in a nice lounge while I wait, instead of roaming the terminal outside (all seats having long been taken).

I check the weather website and it seems likely the conditions will not improve much today and may well get worse. As it happens some 30 minutes later the flight is announced as being cancelled, and passengers are requested to contact sales desk (or reservations by phone) to arrange rebooking.

I let serfty know that I will be able to meet up again after all (on his return to Auckland) and consider my options. Then I call up to rebook.

Before I even have a chance to say what I'd like I'm rudely told there is no way I can rebook for the next few days. Ummm, okay. I didn't particularly want to. Rebooking in a few months time is fine by me, and minimises the effect of the disruption to Qantas at time of year when flights to Queenstown are full (and expensive).

I offer some suggested dates (thankful that I have on me a printout of my travel schedule for the coming months), that I've already checked online for being fairly empty flights. Only to be rebuffed for every one. I must only rebook in the exact same booking class as the original booking Even flights that had availability only from the next booking class (some NZ$20 more expensive) were not accepted. So by trying to be nice to Qantas by not insisting on rebooking in the next few days I got penalised and ended up having to take flights that were not ideal for me.

I've had a similar experience with Qantas last year when I saved them costs of an overnight accommodation after a flight was cancelled (that one not directly due to weather), and ended up having to jump through hoops to change the ticket. At least some of their staff are sticklers for their policies, not matter how unreasonable, and not authorised to take other considerations into account.

As you'll soon see, this was to ultimately cost Qantas far more than the NZ$20 opportunity cost that they saved.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 4:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Back again at the airport for another early start. Check in is a zoo, not surprisingly after now 2 days of significant schedule disruption. So I head through security to the lounge and check in there for my first two flights.

I also ask about the third flight, which I've already been notified by sms has been cancelled (but strangely not the fourth flight, which should be the same aircraft and thus also cancelled). The agent confirms the flight has indeed been cancelled but not the next flight and agrees it sounds odd. However she is unable to help me - next step is calling reservations. First I hop online to check options both on Qantas and Air NZ so that I'm prepared for anything they offer me. While doing so the Qantas website has a small fit and my sixth flight of the day disappears. Hmmm.

I call and get offered two totally useless options. First up to take a later Qantas flight. Sorry I can't do that unless you're prepared to rearrange my later flights also (which they are not). Then offered to take the Air New Zealand flight that departs at the same time as the cancelled Qantas flight. That won't work either - it will almost certainly result in a misconnect as I'd have zero minutes to check in for the following flight, even if the Air NZ flight arrived on time. I ask to be put on an earlier flight, after checking with someone I was told no. So my third and fourth flights were put on hold and I'll sort them out later.

The first two flights were uneventful. No nice seats this time (ZK-JNN being the a/c). Second flight was 30 minutes late, once again. The views were better today than the other day, but still not too clear.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 4:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Back in Auckland I head to the sales desk to reassess my options. There I found out the fourth flight was also cancelled. Ah, can I switch both flights to Air NZ then? "For you, sure" is the answer. ^ Great. Even better I can pick which of the many Air NZ flights best suits me. I choose flights that enable me to easily connect to flight number 5 whilst not requiring a rush to board in 2 minutes time. Flight number 3 has availability in a mid economy fare class but flight number 4 only has availability in full economy (as in Y class).

Now if I hadn't been so annoyed at Qantas from the Queenstown rebooking (and my earlier attempt today for flight number 3) I might well have switched to another date saving Qantas from having to pay Air NZ.

With purchase order in hand I headed to Air NZ check in counter and get 2 boarding passes. I was sure to get my *A FFP number entered, both for the bonus mileage and also to ensure I got a reasonable seat. Another reason for not wanting the next available flight is I likely would have ended up in a middle seat down the back, instead of a forward aisle seat with one of only a couple empty seats in the whole a/c alongside.

Naturally, after the flights I also called to get my OW mileage credited manually.

A nice lunch and couple of drinks in the koru clubs (before and between flights). The flights were uneventful other than flight number 3 being delayed by almost 30 minutes - one of very few Air NZ delayed flights today. Hey maybe I'm jinxed?
Old Jun 27, 2007, 4:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Once again in the qantas club I check in for flights number 4 & 5. As I do so I check my voicemail. I have 5(!) messages from Qantas, something like this.

your flight has been delayed, we can rebook on the earlier flight, please call 1300 xxx (ie the number in Australia)

your flight has been delayed, please call 0800 xxx (ie the number in NZ)

we are holding a seat for you on the earlier flight, please call (australia) to confirm

we are holding a seat for you on the earlier flight, please call (NZ) to confirm

if you don't call back we can't hold your seat any longer(!)

--
All this while I was in the air. Note that if the Qantas flights had been running to time I would not have had any possibility of taking the earlier flight, with my arrival on Air NZ being at the same time as scheduled departure of the earlier Qantas flights. Luckily for me (this time), the Qantas flights are running an hour late. I'd observed this while at my previous airport (the limited number of jetconnect aircraft on domestic in NZ routes means it is relatively easy to track delays from the online arrival and departure data even before the estimated departure times of future flights are posted, together with the knowledge learned from experience that delays rarely shorten and normally lengthen throughout the day). So I actually rushed from my Air NZ flight to the Qantas Club in order to try for the earlier flight.

Fortunately the lounge agent is indeed able to get me on the earlier flight and also an earlier flight for the onward flight. This is something QF in NZ is reasonably good at - proactively rebooking elite passengers on an earlier flight if they think they can make it (eg when I'm in the middle of a sequence of flights). It is particularly appreciated at times like this when the flights I'm booked on are a few hours late thus meaning a middle of the night arrival time.

Unfortunately I get a middle seat way down the back on flight #5, but an exit row seat on flight #6. The nice lounge agent said to leave boarding pass #5 with her and she'll see what she can do ^ As I leave the lounge I get given a middle bulkhead seat. Not ideal but certainly much better than I'd hoped in the circumstances.

While all this was happening I should explain that ntddevsys was also impacted by today's chaos. Unfortunately having no OW status meant much worse options (ie none) and from the cancelled flight #3 was moved to my original flight #5. So I left a message that #5 was delayed and I'd been moved, but I still hope to catch up however briefly when I get back.

By now it is dark so not much view. From the lights below I see the clouds have largely cleared and I track our progress by figuring out which towns and cities are shown by the lights. Again the onward flight is even later - unfortunately to form once more.

At the Qantas Club in between flights #5 and 6 I get another surprise. They have already waiting for me a replacement boarding pass for a much better seat. Thanks very much ^

On return I do get to meet up briefly with ntddevsys. Later I checked the arrival data and noticed my original flights #5 and #6 had been delayed even more in the interim.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 4:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

So, a long day travelling. After a poor start, the service by QF lifted immensely and made up for the previous lapses. Further, it was a great team effort, with several folk going out of their way to help me. Perhaps now, some may get a better appreciation of why status is so valuable when flying Qantas in NZ.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 9:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Groundhog day

Out to the airport early. This time with Spiff who is doing 4 QF segments to comply with the recent enforcement of the 4-QF-segment-rule for status, and to qualify as Platinum.

I'd noticed the previous day that the schedule seemed to still be down one aircraft (as it had much of the week) and thus a couple of flights were cancelled. This time not one of our flights, although the second of the day was retimed for an hour earlier.

When we checked in I noticed the boarding pass showed a boarding time consistent with normal departure time. Through security - in the words of Spiff "why can't all security be like this?", and into the lounge.

I grabbed a coffee and checked out updates on the schedule. Yup still showing an hour early for the second flight. I checked with the nice lounge agent - it seemed the check in system hadn't been updated. That would explain why we hadn't received a txt message or phone call about an earlier departure time.

I made a call to reschedule my meeting, the earlier return flight not allowing enough time. QF offered to put us on a later return on Air NZ but we turned it down. Spiff needed those 4 QF flights.

Before boarding I get a call saying the third of our flights is oversold (due to the cancellation of another flight) and would I mind being bumped onto Air NZ. Spiff got a bit excited at the thought I'd get some compensation (beer money) until I explained it doesn't work that way here. All I'd get was an earlier arrival time and a few extra points from the double dip (credit for the NZ flight as well as the original routing credit for the QF flight), at the expense of a phone call to chase it up.

The flight wasn't too full so we each got an aisle seat with blocked middle seat. Plenty of cloud cover so not much of a view, apart from the mountain tops peaking through - brilliant white from the fresh overnight snow reflecting the morning sun.

Arrive to wintry weather. Rush off the airbridge into the warmth of the terminal and head up to the lounge. Inside find out that 100 no shows for the return flight - thanks to not notifying passengers of the earlier departure time I figured they'd hold the flight given the number of no shows. But no, boarding is called only a little late. Of course this means sitting at the gate waiting to see when they will close off. A few stragglers board after us, but not that many. The flight is very empty. We end up pushing back about 30 minutes late (or is that 30 minutes early?).

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jul 10, 2007 at 9:51 pm
Old Jul 10, 2007, 9:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Back at our origin I head to the sales desk to pick up the paperwork for Air NZ, and also a copy for my own records should the need arise. At Air NZ check in, I am offered a choice of flights, including one that leaves shortly (was delayed an hour from original schedule). After checking that I can get a reasonable seat with blocked middle (in fact I get the best seat due to my status!) I agree to take the next (already delayed) flight.

Just enough time for a quick visit to the NZ lounge before boarding. It is still cloudy but not as completely cloudy as before so some views en route. On arrival I head to the QF lounge to await Spiff's arrival, catching up on some work and emails in the meantime, and relaxing over a few beers.

A nice surprise for the return flight. It is ZK-JND which means old business seats for us (Spiff also had these on the way down). Yay. The flight is late, which is not a surprise at all. I'd seen the particular a/c get later and later all day.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 9:33 am

nice report
Old Jul 21, 2007, 9:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND to CHRISTCHURCH (AKL-CHC) on NZ 737-300

Another early start with the prospect of a great day's flying ahead - 6 flights including a seasonal route which was the main purpose of today's flying. The day didn't start too promising - patchy fog heading out to the airport, which thickened considerably near Manukau Harbour and the airport. Sure enough, at the check in counter I heard the words that I'd been hoping not to hear - "the airport has just closed because of the fog". I wasn't too despondent though as I have an hour connection to my next flight as a buffer. I also know from experience that fogs in Auckland can be rather fickle and patchy - the airport could clear rather quickly if the mass of cloud moves just a small distance. Indeed check in was not closed, a good sign, and so I got a handful of boarding passes. As usual I had to ask for the last couple of boarding passes for the computer defaults to printing a maximum of 4.

Then the annoying wait for security to open at 6am. They won't open any earlier even if the security officers are all ready and just talking. This is particularly annoying if you've just arrived on a longhaul flight with a short connection to a domestic flight. You want to get to a shower before the onward flight, and there are only 2 in the Auckland Koru Club so better be one of the first to enter the lounge.

Through security and up the stationary escalator to the lounge. On entry, after the check of my boarding pass for lounge access eligibility (XX*G - tick) I was asked if I'd visited this lounge before or need an explanation of what is on offer! I refrained from pointing out I was carrying the Air NZ Gold Elite laptop gift bag and instead just said yes I'm sure it hasn't changed in the few days since I was last here.

I checked the arrival and departure information websites and noted that most flights were still landing or taking off - a good sign. The notable exception was the Qantas flight from Los Angeles which had diverted to Nadi. As the fog often rolls in during the early hours of the morning I guess they must have made a precautionary move a bit earlier than the other airlines with arrivals similarly early in the morning (Lan from Santiago and Air New Zealand from San Francisco, Los Angeles and Perth). The other airlines decided to press on to Auckland and were able to land okay. Or perhaps Qantas didn't like the idea of the possible alternatives should Auckland be closed for arrivals. In the past year (and indeed every year) several flights have been diverted to Ohakea, an air force base, which has no immigration or customs facilities and limited options for the airlines. The only other airport in New Zealand (or nearby) suitable for diversion for most wide bodies is Christchurch, which itself was blanketed in fog this morning.

There was just enough time for a coffee, to check my email and to check today's Air NZ grab-a-seat sale offerings (a small selection of different routes and dates available for a one day sale , each day), when boarding was called on schedule. For Air NZ (and also Qantas domestic in New Zealand), this is about 15 minutes prior to departure. Great. The flight is moderately full but I have a blocked middle seat thanks to my status. The doors closed and we had a minor delay pushing back. Then on the taxiway we held waiting for nearly 40 minutes, to await the fog to clear enough for our take-off.

It has recently been reported that Air NZ has decided not to add an extra row in the 737s (removing 1-2 inches of pitch to do so) and will instead get an extra 2 aircraft to add more flights to the schedule for the main trunk routes. However, I, and other FTers, think that at least some of the 737s have already been reconfigured as the pitch in the forward rows at least (which are reserved for *G *S and koru club members) does feel noticeably tighter - at least on my sore knee test.

Eventually we get the figurative green light and take off. Within seconds we are enveloped in the murk, only to quickly emerge out the top. The Waitakere Ranges mark the northern edge of the Manukau Harbour hidden below the fog, and some of the higher volcanoes and ridges of Auckland city peek out.

As we head south the land is hidden from view as a corpse draped in a white sheet, while we bask in the low angled winter dawn sun. As a 737 flight we get the buy on board opportunity - but there are not many takers. A recent change is the removal of fresh Wishbone products, replaced by bakery items, namely a choice of 3 different muffins for $3. The other buy on board food and drink (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) items are unchanged. Tea, coffee and water is complimentary, as are the boiled sweets - offered in the basket along with sugars for the hot drinks and paper serviettes. I read the paper I'd grabbed from the lounge, so that I can concentrate on the hoped for stunning views on my later flights.

Over Tasman Bay the extensive fog and cloud gives way and at last we see the land and sea below, still tinged in pastel hues of the early morning light. Just out the right hand side we see the sheltered bays and coves of Abel Tasman National Park, backed by dark bush clad hills. In the background Farewell Spit is just visible as a low line marking the far side of the gentle sweep of Golden Bay. While to the left we have the hills and valleys of Nelson.

Inland, the cold winter's morning has left it's mark with dense valley fogs settling three quarters of the way up the sides of the main river valleys and their tributaries, looking like a white version of the blue waters of the Marlborough Sounds drowned valley system. The minor river valleys, meanwhile stay clear. Motueka river valley foggy. Wai-iti river valley clear. Buller river valley foggy. And so on. The contrast of light and shade, pastel hues, greys and whites made for an intriguing effect.

We turn more southerly and pass by Lake Rotoiti. The sun is shining on the snow capped peaks on one side of the lake but on the other there is only deep shadow cast by the surrounding mountains. It looks very cold, and recalling past winter nights spent in the area I'd say it probably is well below freezing. The lake basin itself was fog free but the Buller River which runs out of the lake was hidden beneath a veil of fog, as was Lake Rotoroa on the other side of the small mountain range.

Now, as we started passing an endless string of mountain ranges, highland basins and rugged upland valleys, it almost felt colder with each passing minute.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 3:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

It interested me to see the effect of orientation of the basins to the sun and warming fohn winds had on the temperature, as evidenced by some basins having complete thick snow cover whilst others, seemingly of a similar altitude, had bare ground.

As we emerged over the foothills the colder hollows were showing signs, even from this height, of the week long hoar frost with the ground trees and buildings covered in a silvery shroud.

Then over the plains we again encountered a thick fog stretching from the sea almost to the foothills, which hid the city and airport from view. We touched down in the murk. I deplaned quickly not wanting to linger in the freezing airbridge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.