Reload this Page >

Across the Globe in 5 Continents Again

Across the Globe in 5 Continents Again

Old Oct 13, 2006, 2:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Culture shock? - I don't think so.

I would have loved to have travelled around Argentina a bit more, but had no possibility of having enough time this trip (so a good excuse for another trip ). I liked Buenos Aires a lot, but like you say it doesn't feel like really is South America (not that I have anything much to compare with) much more European.

I can see myself going back to Isla de Pascua for a couple of days to refresh the batteries in the middle of future big trips, much like I try to fit in a visit or two to other south pacific islands each year.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 9:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Auckland to Whakatane (AKL-WHK) Economy Class on NZ Jetstream 32 (operated by Air National)

A day later it was time to head back to the airport. There really is no rest for the wicked it seems. At check in I head straight for the quick check kiosks. Half of them have signs saying out of order I grab my boarding pass in seconds, after first checking there are no better seats available, and head through security to the lounge. The security guy asks am I sure I don't have anything in my pockets that will set the alarm off, most people do you know; and I make an effort to be nice (hey its early and I haven't had a coffee yet) and simply say sure with a smile.

I grab a breakfast, annoyed that the coffee machine is on the blink and only working intermittently (while the second one remains unused). Once again the computers aren't working properly but the attendant soon gets them going again ^ For those keeping track the beers have changed again and only 14 quality beer varieties in the fridge this time.

Boarding is called 10 minutes before departure and I make my way to the prop gates at the far end of the terminal. Apparently general call in the terminal was made a few minutes ago as they are waiting for me - I did go straight there when the call was made (having already logged off the computer beforehand).

The flight is moderately full so no room to stretch out in the cramped seating of the J32. I see an Air NZ 747 taxi ahead of us and take off, followed by an Air NZ 777 and Thais A340 both landing. Then it is our turn, with a short roll we are airborne with still more than 2km or runway ahead of us, as usual for a prop swiftly turning over the harbour.

We didn't get much of a view until past the Kaimais. The very strong and gusty winds outside not noticeable other than by the marks of their presence for the observant - the cloud banked up against the ranges, the scattered high level cloud torn parallel with the wind in very long streaks like teased wool fibres, and even far below we could see the rough seas and short swell perpendicular to the flow. At least there was no turbulence until just before landing when we turned about to the wind over the township and landed across the rolling fields.

The strip is small as expected and in a lovely setting. The plains with windswept grass flanked on all sides by hills and volcanoes, a short distance off the other side is the sea and a small island. The terminal is quaint. No services and just small enough to swing a cat in, it has an upper level complete with tiny balcony - if you brought your own supplies it would be like a personal lounge!
Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Whakatane to Auckland (WHK-AKL) Economy Class on NZ Jetstream 32 (operated by Air National)

It is still windy as I head back to the airport. I saw a sparrow struggling in vain to avoid being blown out to sea. But I digress. I like these small airports. Not only are there no security hassles, and parking is free, but you can also turn up 15 minutes before departure (as long as no bags to check) and the agent wont bat an eye - in fact if you know them they likely will have pre-checked you in so just collect the boarding pass at the counter.

A boarding call is made and when only 1 person gets up to walk across the tarmac, a "final call" is instantly made This gets the desired action and we board quickly. The flight is only half full so a bit more room to spread out (eg no need to store my small carryon under the seat in front, freeing up a valuable few inches of space for my feet.

As with my earlier flight on the J32 (see the mini tour of NZ thread) it takes a couple of goes to get the engine started. We taxi down the runway, turn and roll. As we climb over the plains I see the great view, much more clearly than on the way in. Nestled in the hills and volcanoes surrounding the plain are the several lakes of Rotorua area, with the city glistening on the shores of the largest one. The huge mass of Mount Tarawera (scene of a big eruption in the 1880s that obliterated several villages as well as then famous tourist attraction the Pink and White Terraces) is obvious to the south, its 11km (7 mile) long crater a highly visible scar of that eruption.

We fly over Tauranga and moments later hit turbulence as the strong winds spill over the Kaimai Ranges. On the other side we pass the small Hauraki Plains with the bush clad Coromandel Ranges as spine of the peninsula on the other side. All too soon we are descending into the airport, for the flight is a mere 30 minutes.

These short flights are great (especially to a main city) - slightly uncomfortable and no onboard service (other than the airline magazine), but much quicker than driving and almost always great views. The ground handling is quick, efficient and friendly. On the times when I have to check bags they invariable arrive at the front of the terminal either before I do or within a minute.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 7:53 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Kiwi Flyer, do you ever wake up in the morning, thinking where the hell am I? I admire your stamina...do immigration ever give you a hard time? IIRC, NZ immigration asks you to list EVERY country you've visited in the last 30 days....your card must raise a few eyebrows
Old Oct 14, 2006, 12:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

The card isn't so much of an issue except sometimes I run out of space and sometimes have trouble remembering was ### this last month or longer ago? What is more of an issue is when I get a newbie officer and they compare info on the card with my records and scroll down and down and down again - I see their eyes pop out!

And yes I do regularly get secondary
Old Oct 14, 2006, 1:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Auckland to Christchurch (AKL-CHC) Economy Class on QF 737

With the redevelopment of the domestic terminals (first stage putting in more shops and connecting up the NZ and QF terminals landside), the little cafe and bookshop have moved positions and there is less room at check in. Fortunately it is quiet with few passengers or hangers on. Check in quickly and head through security to the lounge. Grab a shower (collect towel & soap from reception if you don't have your own), a couple of drinks and check my email and FT.

I'd been saying to another FTer that in all my dozens of Qantas domestic flights within New Zealand I'd yet to come across a 734 with the convertible business seats at the front. Maybe I've just been really unlucky but I almost always get the all economy configuration, and only rarely get the 8 old business seat configuration. Qantas, like Air New Zealand, does not sell business class for New Zealand domestic flights and so a nice perk of having high status is getting a business seat when the aircraft happens to be so configured (as they are for Jet Connect's trans-tasman runs).

Anyway, this time I got lucky and get the convertible seat. While I prefer the old business seat, this is still much better than the all economy config (with narrow first row seats which I nearly always end up with). By way of comparison, this convertible seat offers about the same comfort level as AA's domestic first in MD80. It's no luxury but better than a squeezy seat for the 80 minute flight.

I notice the safety video wording has changed a little. Yes they still have the "sutterly every aircraft is different" bit, but no longer refer to "you almost certainly will be sitting in a different seat" which always used to crack me up since at least 80% of the time I get the exact same seat.

Due to the time of day as well as the complimentary tea or coffee, water and choice of hot danish or cheese & crackers, there is a pay bar available (beer and wine only). The FAs do a couple of rounds.

There isn't much of a view as the mountains are obscured by cloud tumbling over them from the west, and the South Island coastal area is blanketed in low cloud thanks to the nor'easter.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 1:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Christchurch to Auckland (CHC-AKL) Economy Class on QF 737

Basically the same as the above flight. The flight is almost empty and so we push back 10 minutes early and furthermore make up time en route (funny how the last flight of the day often goes faster than the other flights - perhaps the pilots are in a hurry ) and arrive more than 20 minutes early.

Have a wee chat with the crew whom I recognise.

As we head north we get to see the fiery sunset fade into the darkness of the night.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 1:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Summary days 1-22
  • map
  • 83,964 flown miles
  • 35 flights
  • 8 a/c types
    • 747-400
    • 767-300
    • 777-200
    • 767-200
    • A319
    • MD-80
    • 737-400
  • 7 airlines
    • SQ
    • QF
    • BA
    • AA
    • LA
    • Air National
    • Jet Connect
  • 12 countries
    • New Zealand
    • Singapore
    • Japan
    • Australia
    • United Kingdom
    • United Arab Emirates
    • Oman
    • Spain
    • United States of America
    • Argentina
    • Chile
    • Peru
  • 20 airports (number of transfers)
    • 5 AKL
    • 3 SIN, LHR, DFW, LAX
    • 2 AUH, ORD, BOS, SCL
    • 1 NRT, SYD, MCT, BCN, ELP, SEA, EZE, IPC, LIM, WHK, CHC
Old Oct 14, 2006, 4:23 pm

awesome report!!
Old Oct 14, 2006, 9:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Auckland to Christchurch (AKL-CHC) Economy Class on NZ A320

Yup still going. Another day and another trip out to the airport. I was tired and fell asleep before we'd gone 2 blocks, yet so familiar am I with the route that I woke up at the final roundabout before the airport.

At quick check I get an error message "unable to check in due to too many sectors" or similar so I head to the premium check in line. I had deliberately chosen this flight as opposed to another one which also connected well, as this is one of very few domestically that use an international aircraft and thus has (shorthaul) business seats. Furthermore I preselected said business seat and made sure my Air NZ frequent flyer number was loaded (rather than another one I actually want to credit the points to) so that I wouldn't lose the in high-demand seat. It worked and at check in I switched FFP number. I got a wad of boarding passes and the agent says I don't know why quick check didnt work because here they all are. I didn't have the heart to tell her, no actually missing the last segment.

Through security and back to the lounge, saying hi to the same lounge agents again. I grab a breakfast and catch up on some work plus browse FT for a bit. Then it is time to board. Surprisingly not all the business seats were taken despite being a moderately full flight so I had real luxury for a domestic flight of being able to spread out.

We have a short taxi and soon are heading south above an extensive cloud sheet. There is no view at all of the North Island or upper South Island, and it is only as we descend that we clear the cloud and see the plains bordered by rolling hills before us. The mountains themselves are shrouded behind a long wall of storm cloud which is like a veil over them. The braided rivers are bursting and swift flowing, a clear sign that the spring melt is well underway. With the strong westerlies we do a loop over the city to land towards the mountains and cloud.

On arrival I head to the Koru Club, which is currently undergoing renovations (complete in a few days time - rotten timing on my part). The interim arrangements consist of a voucher to buy some overpriced food and drink at a little cafe that has been set up alongside the boarded up entrance. It doesn't look appealing, and since I see I still have plenty of time until boarding for my onward flight I head to the Qantas Club - a few minutes walk away and through security.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:28 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Christchurch to Wanaka (CHC-WKA) Economy Class on NZ Beech 1900D

I leave the Qantas Club a few minutes before boarding is due, since there are no calls made there and the monitors only show a small number of NZ flights (for some odd reason?). I had first checked online Air NZ's website to see that the flight was on time and not delayed.

The flight was fairly empty and so boarding was late but it only takes a minute for us all to cross the tarmac to the aircraft and get seated. I was glad I'd remembered not to preselect the first two rows which have no windows on this aircraft.

As we taxiied I noticed a couple of big old aircraft being loaded up for flights to the New Zealand and US Antarctic bases at McMurdo Sound and Scott Base. Our takeoff roll into the wind is very short and we are soon heading across the plains to the mountains.

The storm cloud is still obscuring a lot of the view of the mountains, but here and there they part to give glimpses of the inner valleys, gorges and brimming rivers. Further along we also get snippets of views of the glacial and hydro lakes.

The approach into Wanaka is dramatic - a shame it was so cloudy. Not quite as enclosed as Queenstown, it is still a basin that you descend into, twisting down the valleys to avoid the mountains towering on each side. Below the powerful Clutha river gouges its tortuous path lower into the landscape.

The airport is very small. On the short distance between runway and apron I notice a speed camera - presumably to pick up the a/c regos for landing fees during times the airport is unmanned. I waved to it The terminal is like a small shed. Toilet is outside. A couple of vending machines for those who need food and drink.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Wanaka to Christchurch (WKA-CHC) Economy Class on NZ Beech 1900D

Brrr it is cold with the impending storm approaching, so I don't dally across the tarmac for the return flight.

This flight is much the same in reverse. Only tantalising glimpses of the great scenery. Due to the strong winds we only take 40 minutes going back, when it was 60 minutes for the flight in.

Again I have a moderate connection that is long enough to visit the Qantas Club which I do so.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Christchurch to Wellington (CHC-WLG) Economy Class on NZ A320

Yup once again I spotted the opportunity for a business seat domestically for the price of some extra time to get back and a couple of dollars extra taxes, with the added bonus of additional miles. So of course I nabbed it.

The gate area was very congested with a few flights all leaving around the same time from adjacent gates and all full. Boarding was called slightly late - if I'd known I could have waited a bit longer before coming across from the Qantas Club. Oh well.

Once again not all the business seats were taken! I'm fairly sure it wasn't due to active blocking but rather someone has changed or cancelled their flight.

Even though the expected flight duration was a short 30 minutes, you know it is going to be a long flight when even before the doors are closed the parent sitting diagonally behind you asks the FA for extra sick bags and towels because her son is really, really sick Sure enough within a minute of take off I hear the unmistakeable sound of retching. Well I guess it had to happen eventually - it has been literally hundreds of flights since I last had someone vomiting beside or behind me on a flight.

We do a pirouette over the city and along the landward edge of the Banks Peninsula volcanoes, getting some extra bumps along the way. Then alongside the coast. As we head further north the sinking sun beams through notches in the coastal cliffs creating wierd patterns in the shadows. The rivers carrying snowmelt are not directly visible from my seat, but clearly indicated by the fresh water tongue that is in sharp contrast to the dark deep saltwater.

The Kaikoura peninsula is obvious along with its 4 finger + a thumb shape of the rock formations at its tip.

Due to the shorter flight time (compared with between Auckland and Wellington or Auckland and Christchurch) there is no hot drink service only cold water and the boiled sweets just before landing. It's a shame that it is considered too short - it wasn't too many years prior that it got a full meal service. While I understand the changes (and with the improved lounge offerings, current CHC temporary closure notwithstanding, an overall benefit to frequent flyers) were necessary, I would think there would be at least enough time for coffee or tea as well as water.

Some more bumps coming in to Wellington, but mild for this city as it appears the wind has died down significantly.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 1:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Wellington to Auckland (WLG-AKL) Economy Class on NZ 737

As I headed to the Koru Club I noticed my next flight was delayed. I asked about the possibility of taking an earlier flight but bluntly told no, you aren't on a high enough fare (ok so I wasn't on full fare but not the cheapest fare either so I thought it was worth a shot).

This meant arriving later in Auckland at a time inconvenient for dinner, so after a shower to freshen up I had dinner in the lounge. They had a reasonably good variety of food. Gourmet pies, cold cuts, salads, fresh fruit and vegetables, some desert thingys, cheese, etc. I noticed they also still had some of the nice specialty beers which had gone from Auckland.

Eventually boarding was called. I headed through gate security to find an almost deserted departure gate. Did I have the right one? Yes. It turns out most pax on the flight had been attending a sports tournament, and with the delay had adjourned to the bar. Well they now were having some difficulty in getting everyone from the bar to the gate So boarding is really slow, easily the slowest for a domestic flight in NZ that I've experienced. Great - so not only were we late due to earlier delays with the aircraft but made even later thanks to a lot of not so thoughtful passengers.

We had a short taxi and took off into the darkness, with views of the lights of Wellington wrapped around the hills and harbour before we climbed through some cloud. No further view until on final approach, when we see the lights of the sprawl that is Auckland.

Since it is a slightly longer flight we get tea and coffee or water, plus an apricot yoghurt coated shortbread biscuit (small). With being an evening mainline flight there is also a buy on board option.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 1:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Summary days 1-24
  • map
  • 85,283 flown miles
  • 40 flights
  • 12 a/c types
    • 747-400
    • 767-300
    • 777-200
    • 767-200
    • A319
    • MD-80
    • Jetstream 32
    • 737-400
    • A320
    • Beech 1900D
    • 737-300
  • 8 airlines
    • SQ
    • QF
    • BA
    • AA
    • LA
    • Air National
    • Jet Connect
    • NZ
  • 12 countries
    • New Zealand
    • Singapore
    • Japan
    • Australia
    • United Kingdom
    • United Arab Emirates
    • Oman
    • Spain
    • United States of America
    • Argentina
    • Chile
    • Peru
  • 22 airports (number of transfers)
    • 6 AKL
    • 3 SIN, LHR, DFW, LAX, CHC
    • 2 AUH, ORD, BOS, SCL
    • 1 NRT, SYD, MCT, BCN, ELP, SEA, EZE, IPC, LIM, WHK, WKA, WLG
  • 3 seated in higher cabin than paid

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.