Four Days In Namibia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Days In Namibia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by hauteboy
The only part that was soft sand was the last ~4kms to Deadvlei. There is a parking lot at the end of the paved road and they run 4WD/tractor shuttles. The sand was OK to drive on, basically just keep going and don't stop. The tractors can tow you out if you do get stuck
Oh good to know. Well, you would need to release some air from the tires first right? Anyway, good to know, yes, last thing I want to happen is get stuck and no one in 5 km radius to pull me out
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by mike&co
That drone is certainly enhancing those stunning photographs, great addition. Just what I needed after reading the TR about diarrhea ^
Haha, where is this diarrhea TR?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for another great report. Great photos as always.

Question, on your helicopter ride, did you switch out your lens? Or you left it on the whole trip?

Thanks
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Daniel, another amazing TR. the adorable oryx and cheetah cubs were wonderful, but wow,wow,wow - the shots of the sand dunes/ vistas were just awesome!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by gnomey
Haha, where is this diarrhea TR?
Enjoy

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...hell-back.html
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by mike&co
Wow, this is insane. Definitely felt bad for the OP. Gave me goosebumps while reading abt it

Vomiting and diarrhea are my biggest nightmares during travel, and 1000x worse when happening in the metal tube
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Amazing pictures as always, Daniel. I love the images of the desert bleending into the sea. Thanks for sharing!
T
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Stunning photos of a stunning place. Thank you for sharing ^^
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:50 pm

I was hooked by Namibia ever since reading ChiefNWA's report. and this one is as great report as that. Bravo, DanielW.

Deadvlei looks nothing but stunning! And your stargazing photo is lovely.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:06 pm

Thanks for posting yet another spectacular trip report. It brought back great memories from my trip there last November.

I also stayed at the Hilltop Guest House, and ate at Joe's Beer House (although that was my first day/night in the country). Joe's was absolutely packed, and I ended up at a table with a couple from The Netherlands, and a woman from South Africa, and it was a lot of fun. Definitely a memorable dining experience. It looked like you were seated inside (I was outside)?

The precipitation sign at Solitaire is quite the conversation piece. I remember when I was there last November, there was talk about it being the driest year in over a decade (they still hadn't gotten even 45mm at that point). Must have had a wet December to get into the 60s.

Thanks so much for sharing. I need to get back down to that amazing part of the world again some time.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Fantastic trip report.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Ah, this is going to be another great one!
I foolishly booked an ET CGK-CPT for later this year. Not sure if I'll survive it.
Thanks, Jaimito Cartero. I've got another ET fight myself coming up. Definitely no complaints on my trips on them so far though!
Originally Posted by JohnRain
Can you please stop constantly raising the photographic bar on FT, DanielW...
This has to be one of your most spectacular TR's in terms of pics yet. Unbelievable. And of course you had me at Currywurst...
Many thanks, JohnRain. Yes, it'll be hard to find such a beautiful and photogenic destination after beautiful Namibia! The Zebra and Ostrich steak were super delicious too.
Originally Posted by tennislover9
These Namibia trip reports on FT are really something spectacular I really am moving it to the top of my travel bucket list.
To see the night sky that interrupted is something I've waited a lifetime to see.
Thanks DanielW! Do you think it is possible for someone without 4X4 experience to navigate the same roads you traveled?
Thank you, tennislover9. You'll be fine without 4x4 experience. As hauteboy and ChiefNWA have mentioned, the only serious part were the last 3-4 kilometes to Sossusvlei. They have offroad vehicles for the general public though if you'd rather wish for someone else to do the driving on this short stretch.
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Idk what that is, but it's definitely NOT a croque madame. Lettuce and tomato?!
That's baby spinach, not lettuce!

Originally Posted by hauteboy
Great report as always! Glad the both of you could join me in Namibia. Your photos from the helicopter are amazing!
Good to compare / contrast our trip reports.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ya-uganda.html
Thanks again for inviting us, hauteboy. That heli flight was definitely a highlight of the trip, so cool with the doors off too!
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
What can I say, fantastic photography as usual DanielW! Really makes me want to return to Namibia and see more of the country.
I regret not going to that restaurant in Windhoek. A guide in CPT mentioned it to me and I just totally forgot the one night I was there.
That helicopter tour looks absolutely stunning as well. I'm a little surprised they didn't fly over any of those ship wrecks, maybe those are further south towards Luderitz.
Many thanks, ChiefNWA. Your Namibia TR really whetted my appetite so was really glad when hauteboy invited us along to join him for his trip. Joe's beerhouse was a treat, a great way to end the trip.
Our little R44 probably didn't have enough range to see the shipwrecks. I think the scenic fixed-wing flights head further up the coast though.
Originally Posted by scott97
All pretty great. Makes me want to take this trip!
Cheers, scott97.
Originally Posted by zip10001
Fantastic trip report DanielW
Namibia has recently climbed to nb 2 on my list of places to visit in 2017 (after Bhutan).
Thank you, zip10001, yes, Namibia should be on everyone's bucketlist.
Originally Posted by KCRYSTAL
I have been to Namibia a dozen or so times. I have asked the MET and park rangers, multiple times, for a drone permit. How were you able to obtain this? Drone flying is prohibited in all parks (some rangers actually claim all public lands). In Naukluf National Park (Deadvlei location) this is specifically prohibited on the park permit. How did you get the permit? Just by walking in the MET office (I tried that, too)?
Hi KCRYSTAL, I researched the drone rules in Namibia before the trip but found only limited info online. I tried to contact the DCA also but they never replied. My advice from a friend in SA who had flown his drone in Namibia was to basically stick to common sense (not above animals, people etc.).
Originally Posted by kathykathy
What a fantastic trip report, per usual! It is such a pleasure to 'experience' places that I never could visit.
The picture of the night sky blew me away!
Thanks, DanielW
Thanks, kathykathy. Yes, being out in the middle of nowhere with almost zero light pollution really brought out the wonderful night sky.
Originally Posted by gnomey
Wow, these are amazing photos. Looking to go to Namibia myself soon, so this just is an icing on top of the cake.
Would it be fair to say that cost at Namibia is about the same as cost for South Africa trip? I know it's not to the level of Botswana safari ($$$$)...
The other concern is - what are the options if you dont feel comfortable driving on the soft sand area? Like, I would like to self-drive during trip to Namibia, but I also understand to get to certain areas in the park, you need to go through these non-paved, soft sand "road". This is the section I am not comfortable / experienced doing. Would there be an option to hire another driver (from the lodge/camp perhaps?), once there, to do this portion of drive?
Thank you, gnomey. Namibia seems to be about the same price as South Africa, they also readily accept SA rand. There is public 4WD vehicles to shuttle the general public for the last few kilometres to Sossusvlei if you wish to skip driving this part yourself.
Originally Posted by phranktzi
Thanks for another great report. Great photos as always.
Question, on your helicopter ride, did you switch out your lens? Or you left it on the whole trip?
Thanks
Thank you, phranktz. For the heli flight I switched between my 16-35 and 70-200 lenses. Just had to make sure I didn't drop them!
Originally Posted by lb8001
Daniel, another amazing TR. the adorable oryx and cheetah cubs were wonderful, but wow,wow,wow - the shots of the sand dunes/ vistas were just awesome!
Cheers, lb8001. Yes, the cheetah cubs were super cute! The sand dunes were so mesmerizing too.
Originally Posted by fivevsone
Amazing pictures as always, Daniel. I love the images of the desert bleending into the sea. Thanks for sharing!
T
Thanks, fivevsone. Yes, the views of the coast were literally breath-taking, such a great experience!
Originally Posted by Madone59
Stunning photos of a stunning place. Thank you for sharing ^^
Many thanks, Madone59. Yes, such a beautiful part of the world.
Originally Posted by blueferrari
I was hooked by Namibia ever since reading ChiefNWA's report. and this one is as great report as that. Bravo, DanielW.
Deadvlei looks nothing but stunning! And your stargazing photo is lovely.
Cheers, blueferrari. Namibia is definitely a must see.
Originally Posted by netllama
Thanks for posting yet another spectacular trip report. It brought back great memories from my trip there last November.

I also stayed at the Hilltop Guest House, and ate at Joe's Beer House (although that was my first day/night in the country). Joe's was absolutely packed, and I ended up at a table with a couple from The Netherlands, and a woman from South Africa, and it was a lot of fun. Definitely a memorable dining experience. It looked like you were seated inside (I was outside)?

The precipitation sign at Solitaire is quite the conversation piece. I remember when I was there last November, there was talk about it being the driest year in over a decade (they still hadn't gotten even 45mm at that point). Must have had a wet December to get into the 60s.

Thanks so much for sharing. I need to get back down to that amazing part of the world again some time.
Many thanks, netllama. Your TR as well as ChiefNWA and worldtraveller73's got me itching to see Namibia. We were seated outside by the bar too at Joe's, such a crazy and unique place!
Solitaire was still pretty dry, felt a bit guilty just flushing the toliet.
Definitely a place I would love to head back to as well, so much more to see.
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Fantastic trip report.
Cheers, pharmawalk.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Just WOW!

You never disappoint DanielW. Some of those shots from the helicopter are stunning. After reading about Nambia the other day and reading this report it is now firmly on this list.

Thanks for a enjoyable report!
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: AY Plus Gold, SK Eurobonus Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Hilton Hhonors Silver
DanielW, I have been your fan for a long time but this trip report looks even more stunning than the previous ones. Simply wow!

Your pictures are always breathtaking but this time I am out of words.

Keep these reports coming!
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Great trip report! I had a 3-day trip down there last November. Ended up having a car accident on one of the unpaved roads (do get a 4x4) near Solitaire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.