Search

My trip to hell and back

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Sky Miles
My trip to hell and back

OK, here we go again

It’s been a few months, and I am finally emotionally able to share my experience flying back to the US from Basel to London to Atlanta on BA Business Class after a wonderful Rhine River Cruise on AMAwaterways.

Our vacation began on March 31 in Atlanta. Since I was turning 70 at midnight, my husband and I had planned on toasting with champagne and enjoying the beginning of my significant birthday. Since we got to the airport around 2:00 p.m. (I-85 bridge collapsed and had to leave really, really early due to excessive traffic delays) and boarded the plane at almost 11:00 pm (late) we were both quite fatigued. Of course, we had a few drinks in the lounge prior to boarding late which contributed to our exhaustion. After a glass of champagne when boarding, my husband fell asleep as soon as we were at cruising speed. Alas, at midnight, I celebrated by myself with a glass of champagne and felt a bit sorry for myself. However, I ate a very good dinner, had some more champagne, wine and a nightcap before retiring to the comfortable flat bed sleeping for at least 5 or 6 hours.

Our plane landed late in London because of the delay leaving ATL, so we barely missed our connection from LHR to AMS in Club Europe. I pretty much begged for our Business Class seats during our 3-hour layover (even using my birthday as a ploy), but was shot down! Frustration flying in coach, paying for water and coffee, and sitting in a middle seat in the back of the plane made it worse. The Customer Service agent told us to ask for a partial refund when we got home (which we didn’t receive☹). Our 3-hour layover wasn’t bad, the flight was fine and I had my Rhine River cruise and a Business Class seat on my return to look forward to. I’m the type of traveler who loves to plan a trip – read all the comments about airlines, trip reports, food, cruise lines, tour sites, etc. I booked the flight and cruise 10 months in advance, and spent an inordinate amount of my time on the internet researching, researching, researching and was filled with great anticipation!

BUT, my return trip was a nightmare which had nothing to do with the airline, the food, the entertainment, or the flight attendants.

Here I go…...please stop reading if you are squeamish!!!

After celebrating my 70th birthday on April 1 on the AmaKristina and after experiencing a lovely wine cruise, it was time to come home on April 8th. On the morning of my departure, I woke with some pretty bad ‘liquid diarrhea’! I didn’t feel actually sick or didn’t have any pain, but the thought of food or coffee made me ill. The only thing I could tolerate was ice water. Again, I didn’t think much about it and thought it was just something I ate and would be short-lived.

We took our preordered car to Basel airport. What a gorgeous place! The Business lounge was beautiful. I had planned on buying some items in Duty Free – liquor, chocolates, etc., but my stomach wouldn’t allow me to even enter the place. My husband and I went to the lounge to await our flight. He had coffee and croissants and I drank ice water and made numerous trips to the restroom. I still wasn’t nauseous or in any pain – just really thirsty!

When I got on the plane, I was offered champagne, or something else to drink, but all I wanted was ice water. After we took off, I tried a bit of a roll and within a few minutes I had to rush to the plane restroom to vomit. This was the beginning of my nightmare. Again, the squeamish should stop reading here��

I vomited into the toilet and evacuated a large volume of diarrhea into my underwear and slacks. Yuck. My clothing was ruined, which I had to dispose of. I took my sandals off so I could wipe up my feet. I called “help” from the bathroom and asked for a blanket or something to wear off the plane at Heathrow. The flight attendant gave me many towels which came in handy! It was a busy time for the flight staff, so I waited about 20 minutes for the blanket. As I was waiting, I started up again, this time sitting on the toilet with diarrhea and vomiting a purple chunky substance into the sink – yes, as bad as you can imagine☹ or perhaps worse (I drank a couple glasses of red wine the night before). Well, the sink stopped up and I had to remove particles with my hands and towels to put into the toilet. I must say, this was, by far the most disgusting part of my experience.

I tried to clean out the bathroom as best I could, which was a pretty lame attempt. I was sick, feverish, filthy with oily yellow diarrhea and I left the bathroom wrapped from waist to floor with a bulky blanket. It gets worse!

After landing at Heathrow, my husband and I exited the plane (with looks of dismay on the faces of flight attendants and passengers). At the time, I thought that the attendants could have been more helpful and empathetic. We were told it would take a long time to get me a wheelchair, so we exited – picture this: a 70 year old woman wearing a only a blouse, a blanket, and filthy shoes walking through one of the busiest airports in the world. I was pale, nauseated and needed to find a bathroom quickly. After a few minutes, I couldn’t walk any further, and had to sit on a bench while my husband went to find an agent to get a wheelchair to transport me to a restroom and to the BA lounge. This took at least a ˝ hour of miserable time spent sitting on a bench with people looking at me like pitifully.

My husband and a lovely Angel arrived with a wheelchair for me. She asked me if I needed to use the restroom, which I did. After that, she wheeled me to an airport shop to find some clothes. Unfortunately, there was nothing appropriate, so we headed to the BA Lounge. On the way, I became nauseous again and the Angel quickly got me a giant clear plastic trash bag into which I vomited the ugly purple substance again (while depositing a bit more diarrhea in my blanket). This really got attention from the crowds walking through the airport – however, I was so sick I didn’t care! I felt better, so she disposed of the plastic bag, after which I called out almost immediately that I needed another bag. I was asked by an airport official if I needed to go to a hospital or be seen by an EMT. I was actually feeling somewhat better and just wanted to get home to Atlanta, so I replied no. Looking back, I probably should have gone to get some fluid back into my dehydrated body and anti-nausea and anti-diarrhea medicine. At the time, I figured there was nothing much left inside of me to evacuate from my body. Wrong!

When we got to the lounge, Angel spoke to the customer service people. I was unable to concentrate enough to communicate my situation and my poor husband was in shock, I think. Angel had to say goodbye, but I was told to stay in the wheelchair and someone would be by to help me. I regret I didn’t get her name, as I would have liked to let British Airways how helpful and kind she was. After a few minutes, Angel2 arrived with BA pajamas, shower gel, shampoo and other toiletries. I was so happy, and was actually feeling a little better. I went to the showers and put on the soft, warm pajamas. I felt so much better! I naively thought my nightmare had ended and looked forward to getting home. I called my son in Atlanta to come and pick us up at the ATL, as I really didn’t think Uber would have been the best choice.

A bit later a gentleman came to transport my husband and I to the gate. The ride was bumpy and fast, which didn’t help my nausea ☹, but got us to the gate just in time to board. I was offered champagne, water, and orange juice. I told the attendant of my sickness and that I was thirsty. I thought, and the flight attendant agreed, that the juice might help me as I was so very weak and dehydrated. ADVICE to everyone who is nauseous and has severe stomach issues – DON’T drink anything for at least a few hours. I sipped the OJ and within 5 minutes I threw up into the ‘paper bag’ supplied – I always wondered if anyone actually used these bags and thought they were a waste (ha) of money for the airlines. Luckily, I was in the first row window seat and was pretty much hidden from other passengers. Unfortunately, they could still hear me and I’m sure it wasn’t a very pleasant environment ��.
I then had to rush back to the rear of Business Class (I was in the front row) to the very small bathroom because of impending diarrhea. Rather than repeat the same story as above, I’ll just say it was even worse – you really don’t want to know that at one point I took off my pajama bottoms so I would be able to reuse them, threw up in the toilet, and unfortunately saw my refection of projectile diarrhea coming out of my arse – I can’t tell you how miserable I was. I furiously tried to clean the room, but didn’t have much luck. Only had 9 hours☹ left in my flight.

I requested another pair of pajamas, which were happily supplied by the head flight attendant. I had to put the rest of my clothing in a hazardous material bag. I know, this seems like it is never ending, but it WAS! I was sick later in the flight, and I finally (duh) realized I needed to take the paper bags with me to the restroom so I only used the toilet and not the sink!

At one point, my hubby was eating his steak next to me – the smell of the food made me even more nauseous! I closed the barrier between us and tried to get some sleep. I think I actually slept for a few hours with no further trips to the filthy restroom. When I awoke, we were only a couple hours out of Atlanta. I sat in my seat, very quietly and very still for the remainder of the trip from Hell and only chewed on ice chips!

The wonderful flight attendant couldn’t have been any more helpful and kind throughout the 10-hour flight. He asked me numerous times what he could do for me, offered liquids and called ahead for wheelchairs. My husband could have walked, but it helped us get through customs faster if he also rode! Two wonderful women (again nameless in my memory) transported us in wheelchairs through customs very quickly and insisted I make a quick stop to the restrooms which was needed. My wonderful son was waiting for us, took our bags to the car, placed towels for me to sit on, just in case, and we began our trip to our Wonderful Home. When I arrived I went directly to bed, only to wake up every hour on the hour with more stomach upset. But, I was home��.
The next day, my nausea was gone ������, but I had awful diarrhea for a few more days. I was sick for 3 weeks and could only tolerate ice chips for the first few days. My husband got sick 3 days later, but luckily, had a mild illness. For the next week, I would sleep 12 hours at night and go up for a 4 or 5-hour nap later in the day.

I’m pretty sure I contracted Norovirus at some point on my trip. One more terrible result of my illness was that my sweet 8-year old grandson, who sat in the same seat in the car as I did on my trip home from the airport, got sick and shared it with his 3 brothers (ages 4, 10 and 12) even though my daughter-in-law sprayed/scrubbed/disinfected it as best she could ☹…Fortunately, they weren’t as sick as me.

I certainly pray that no one else has the same experience on a plane, especially because of the limited space and close quarters. I am thankful that I didn’t contract any fatal diseases while in the germ-laden restrooms!

I’m not sure why I am sharing this except to say that I had to. I couldn’t even think of or discuss our wonderful vacation for a few weeks. My hope is that perhaps some of the readers will have a good laugh at the ridiculousness of my experience. Believe me, my family and friends have had many laughs along with me since the trip from Hell! I’ll never live it down!!!
Cheers!

Last edited by kathykathy; Jul 25, 2017 at 2:29 pm
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by kathykathy
... I vomited into the toilet and evacuated a large volume of diarrhea into my underwear and slacks. ... I started up again, this time sitting on the toilet with diarrhea and vomiting a purple chunky substance into the sink ... and I had to remove particles with my hands and towels to put into the toilet ... I became nauseous again ... into which I vomited the ugly purple substance again (while depositing a bit more diarrhea in my blanket) ... within 5 minutes I threw up into the ‘paper bag’ supplied ... I then had to rush back to the rear of Business Class (I was in the front row) to the very small bathroom because of impending diarrhea. ... I’ll just say it was even worse – you really don’t want to know that at one point I took off my pajama bottoms so I would be able to reuse them, threw up in the toilet, and unfortunately saw my refection of projectile diarrhea coming out of my arse... I was sick later in the flight, and I finally (duh) realized I needed to take the paper bags with me to the restroom so I only used the toilet and not the sink!
I am thankful that I didn’t contract any fatal diseases while in the germ-laden restrooms!
Respectfully, Ma'am, I believe you have that entirely backwards. God Bless the next occupants!

Note: I tried unsuccessfully to put pictures into this report. Please forgive.
Oh, we forgive!!
makin'miles likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:28 pm

Horrendous how bad it can be. I went through that but it was in a B&B in Glasgow, not a plane. I would have had to lay down in the aisle.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Norovirus, or did you have had Tuna for dinner?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: aeroplan
I'm so sorry that the end of such a seminal holiday-event was spoiled. I'm glad you got back home. I am surprised though that you were allowed to travel when your illness was so well documented by BA (or should have been as they sent staff to assist).
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Okay, I'll bite.

As much as I sympathize with your plight (and I do, I really do), you had no business traveling that day. No business exposing fellow passengers to whatever it was that you had. BA should have denied you boarding, and honestly it sounds like what you needed was a hospital bed and not a J seat.

(Plus, why would you even want to travel in that condition anyway?)
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Happy Belated Birthday?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Respectfully, Ma'am, I believe you have that entirely backwards. God Bless the next occupants!

Oh, we forgive!!
Not THOSE pics😊
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:12 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I'm terribly sorry for your illness and the terrible timing thereof. Glad that you've recovered.

I really couldn't agree more with orlandodlplat though. Somebody, be it you or somebody at BA, should have made sure you didn't get on the second flight. You found out later how contagious whatever you had is, likely norovirus, and you likely spread it to many others onboard.

Also, Happy Birthday. Glad you did something nice to celebrate. I'm many years younger and already seem to have given up on mine.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Agreed. I know it must have been an awful experience, but you, your husband, and everyone on the flight to ATL would have been a lot happier had you stay in LHR under the care of a medical professional. There really is a lot of TMI in this!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Oh, how awful.

I just got off the same AMA cruise (got home yesterday). At first glance, I thought, "Were we on the same trip?" But then I reread and saw that your was months ago.

Still - made me nervous that I might be in for a surprise if there was a virus on the ship!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
You can never predict what can happen when travelling, I feel for you, but I always travel with oral rehydration salts (ORS) solution as well as pepto bismol. Carry these in hand!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
Okay, I'll bite.

As much as I sympathize with your plight (and I do, I really do), you had no business traveling that day. No business exposing fellow passengers to whatever it was that you had. BA should have denied you boarding, and honestly it sounds like what you needed was a hospital bed and not a J seat.

(Plus, why would you even want to travel in that condition anyway?)
I agree that I should have stayed in London and not flew to Atlanta and I truly hope no one became ill because of me. I honestly thought I was better and was just a victim of 'a bad piece of tuna'.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I feel for your story and can sympathize. I eat something bad one night and had to fly the next day from CDG to SFO. It was the worst flight of my life. It was one of my first ever business experienced back then. Really looked forward to the trip and then couldn't eat or drink anything also. Since then decided that I would never, ever fly again when being that sick.

It also surprised me that BA didn't pro-actively called for a medic at arrival. Sounds like they really should have.

Anyways, one 'hell' of a trip indeed
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Jeeminey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.