Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

What do you do after visiting every country? RTW in First with NH, TG, SQ, QR, EK, LH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do after visiting every country? RTW in First with NH, TG, SQ, QR, EK, LH

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Saw your blog this morning - let me know when you plan to be in JHB, some new craft beer places have opened.
I was waiting for you to chime in Check your PM

Just a few days until insanity commences!
Old Feb 5, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Looking forward to this report!
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:51 am

Sounds great!!
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
3+ days in F ... definitely sounds epic
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I was waiting for you to chime in Check your PM

Just a few days until insanity commences!

*rushes off to buy Milk Thistle Tonic*
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by MarkCron
3+ days in F ... definitely sounds epic
The time on the ground will all be spent walking off all that champagne and caviar...
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: A* Gold, OW Sapphire, Thalys Platinum, Accor Gold, member of BahnBonus
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Buckle your seatbelts, it's hardly a week away! Most importantly: I would love to meet with FlyerTalkers along the way. Many of you have inspired me over the years, and would be great to meet you. For those I know, would love to see you again! Drop me a line!
Since you have inspired me with your reports: When are you in Paris? If it suits your plans (and my days when I work in Paris), I would like to buy you a craft beer here.

And: Looking forward to that!
^
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:11 am
Original Poster

1. DC to Tokyo in ANA First

Well, yes, but before we start, I have to acknowledge some things. Work was crazy the last week, and I was putting in 16 hour days to have any chance of pulling this trip off. At the last minute, thanks to supportive management and coworkers, I was in a place to actually consider this trip as long as I could put in a few hours each day remotely. But then, I started thinking...a trip like this isn't easy. It's a lot of time on planes (even in first) and it's stressful on the body. Plus, didn't I say I would travel less after I hit every country?

This is when I was reminded I have amazing friends. I leaned on a handful of friends pretty hard to talk through it, and ironically they all ended with the same advice: whichever decision you make, to stay or go, you won't regret it. Just do what feels right. So, when a decision is 50-50, there's only one way to decide... Sacajawea I stay, Tails I fly I away...

With that, I flipped it across the room at 3:30 am... (yes, I'd been torn on this decision up until the very last moment)

Tails. I go. Better hurry up and pack and get to the airport. No sleep for me tonight!

Got to DCA about 45 minutes before the flight, no wait for security, so time for a quick "breakfast" in the United Club. Check out the napkin, guess they know where I'm going:

Time to board!

United Express flight 3637, operated by Republic
Washington DC National (DCA) to Chicago, O'Hare (ORD)
Depart 6:00, Arrive 7:20, Flight Time: 2:20
Embraer ERJ-175, Registration N731YX, Manufactured 2015, Seat 2A
Miles Flown Year-to-Date: 612
Lifetime Miles Flown: 2,365,013

Pre-departure beverage. Anything was on offer, water was all I wanted. Gotta pace myself.

In flight snack basket. Diet Coke and Caramello Latte biscotti - not complainign, I'm addicted to these things.

Landed O'Hare a few minutes early, and having been up all night needed more caffeine. Of course, they got my name wrong again.

Made it to the United Polaris Lounge, and they now have a cooked to order menu. Veuve Cliquot and eggs benny. Life is good.

Because once you start you can't stop, the Latin American Paper Plane cocktail. Talked to the lounge manager, and the mini paper planes that usually get clipped to the rim he orders from some lady on pinterest, and apparently she can't make them as fast as he needs them.

Veuve and ambiance.

Hallway to the showers and washrooms - I like the "stars" on the ceiling.

Then, it was time for today's main show. First of many, many flights in first this trip.

ANA All Nippon flight 11
Chicago, O'Hare (ORD) to Tokyo, Narita (NRT)
Depart 10:45, Arrive 15:10 next day, Flight Time: 13:25
Boeing 777-300ER, Registration JA731A, Manufactured 2004, Seat 2K
Miles Flown Year-to-Date: 6,886
Lifetime Miles Flown: 2,371,287

My suite for the 12+ hours to Tokyo. The only downside is that it blocks the windows, making it a little hard to look out if you're not super tall:

Long trip, trying to minimize luggage and washing clothes, so looking excited in my ANA PJs. Super comfy!

The post-takeoff Krug has arrived

Amuse bouche of smoked salmon and scallop tartar in bouchée pie, pumpkin gnocchi with cheese sauce, risotto wrapped in roast beer, and cheese pepper bar. The roast beef was especially tasty.

Mushroom bavarois with caviar and cauliflower soup. Sad to see they cut back on on the caviar.

Beautiful presentation, however.

Salad with bacon and more Krug? Don't mind if I do!

Fillet of beef with shallot cream, escargot sauce. Yup, I risked the beef.

A perfect medium to medium-rare. Best cooked steak I've ever had on a plane.

Cheese! Gorgonzola, camebert, piave vecchio with a glass of Petaluma Shiraz.

Warm hazelnut bread pudding with vanilla ice cream. It was delicious.

Post-dinner chocolates and a glass of Hibiki 21 Japanese whiskey. It was amazing....

Eventually, staying up all night the night before caught up with me, and I passed out. For eight solid hours. It was glorious.

Not five minutes later, there was hot tea waiting for me.

Snack time! But first...more Krug!

Japanese set snack. Kobachi (deep-friend scallop with grated daikon radish sauce), Shusai (Saikyo miso-grilled Spanish mackerel), steamed rice, miso soup, and Japanese pickles. She offered me Natto (fermented soybeans) and I wasn't going to play the weak westerner so I went for it. Taste was just ok, but they were sticky and gluey, and really hard to eat!

"This is special shellfish for help digest the alcohol." What are you saying here...

More cheese was found to finish it off....along with a glass of shiraz.

The perfect ending - vanilla and caramel ice cream and a few glasses of the Hibiki whiskey. It was amazing.

Facebook filters show just how enjoyable the Hibiki was...

Landed 10 minutes early after a suburb flight. Our gate was right next to transfer security, and right next to the ANA Suites lounges. Can't get much better than that, after my 1000 meter dash across the same airport in December. View from the lounge:

After a shower I felt amazing, and it was time to continue the trip. ANA hit a home run in all areas pretty much, and can't wait for the chance to fly them again. At the end of the trip, I'll post a side-by-side comparison of all the first products.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Wow on the itinerary!! Can't wait for more!
Old Feb 11, 2017, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Your pics of ANA F has me really looking forward to my IAH-NRT flight with them in April, though I'll be slumming it in J... curious what Hibiki they serve in J as the menu I got from the ANA site doesn't say what age it is.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Facebook filters are so honest
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
awesome plan. so jealous!!
thx
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Your pics of ANA F has me really looking forward to my IAH-NRT flight with them in April, though I'll be slumming it in J... curious what Hibiki they serve in J as the menu I got from the ANA site doesn't say what age it is.
It is Hibiki 17 in J ... still amazing, and is what JL serves in F and is the Hibiki LH stocks at the FCT!
Old Feb 12, 2017, 2:38 pm

OMG. I want to do such travel. Hope you will tell us how many miles & dollars this costs.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
It is Hibiki 17 in J ... still amazing, and is what JL serves in F and is the Hibiki LH stocks at the FCT!
TY! Good to know. yum yum yum. I'm still recovering from my Dom overload during my EK F flights in November so good to know I will have a suitable alternative to the bubbles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.