Channel Island hopping: Alderney, Guernsey & Jersey AA Y/SK J/BA J/GR Y/BE Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Channel Island hopping: Alderney, Guernsey & Jersey AA Y/SK J/BA J/GR Y/BE Y

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Virgin Red
Amazing TR. Have been to Jersey twice this year and loved it (it's a Tier Point Bargain off season with BA Holidays!) - second time was for a Flyertalk Meet!

Really want to visit the other islands. I too had no idea how much they suffered during the war.

That SK J class seat looks impressive.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Sealink
Amazing TR. Have been to Jersey twice this year and loved it (it's a Tier Point Bargain off season with BA Holidays!) - second time was for a Flyertalk Meet!

Really want to visit the other islands. I too had no idea how much they suffered during the war.

That SK J class seat looks impressive.
Yeah I'd seen a few Jersey TR's on here before (used http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ly-2013-a.html as a template) but hadn't heard anything about Guernsey or definitely Alderney... I'd never even known of it!
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Virgin Red
Don't forget Herm and Sark!
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M, HHonors Gold
Great TR, I lived in Guernsey for 10 years and had to go most weeks to Jersey for the day. Brings back a lot of memories.

Herm and Sark are worth a visit for sure
Old Oct 21, 2016, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by CHSDOC
Good to see you back out there!

I've never fully understood the relationship of the Channel Is. to Great Britain. I guess it's like understanding the Holy Trinity, except more complicated
FWIR they are the remnants of the Duchy of Normandy. I.e. the Queen owns them because they conquered the UK, not the other way round. Plus some stuff about a peace treaty brokered by the Pope when the French King gave up their claims.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 11:32 am
brg

Fantastic report.
Small places with lots of history

We have been to UK a few times, but never to the Channel Islands
Looks like well worth the visit
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by DanielW
Looks like a very interesting trip!

So how did you handle the Trump comment?
I live in Texas, so it's likely to go Trump
Old Dec 26, 2016, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Greetings from Jersey! Glad you found our tiny dots on the map at last, and thanks for posting this TR [which I've just found].

Yes, we have an extraordinarily complex and rich history: it takes a while to unravel it all! And the Occupation aspects are a subject all of their own. Did you note that [depopulated] Alderney had 2 labour camps and 2 concentration camps, all associated with building the massive German fortifications? Or that, post-D-Day, both the population of the Islands and the German forces were starving as the Island had been cut off from France until the Red Cross stepped in in late 1944.

As you discovered, none of the Islands have very useful connections to the mainland [as we call it] when connecting to long-haul. We have spent a lot of our lives connecting between LGW and LHR

Sorry you didn't get better weather ... it's usually quite nice here!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is it expensive in Guernsey and Jersey? Worth staying close to the airports or are taxis relatively cheap?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is it expensive in Guernsey and Jersey? Worth staying close to the airports or are taxis relatively cheap?
A good look on Google Earth will show 2 things. [1] Everywhere is close the airports! [2] There are no hotels at the airports!

Public transport is cheap, car rental is fairly cheap, taxis are certainly an option but not super-cheap. We pay c. 15 GBP for a taxi from home on the edge of St Helier to the airport [maybe 5 miles by road?] - the bus is around 2 GBP, I believe.

Overall costs are probably a bit less than most of UK. Our lower sales taxes [5% v. 20%] tend to be offset by shipping costs an 'economies of scale'.

Fell free to PM me for more info on Jersey ... Guernsey is a foreign land to us

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.