Search

TR - Jersey for a weekend away (LGW-JER-LGW, BA J) - July 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:53 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
TR - Jersey for a weekend away (LGW-JER-LGW, BA J) - July 2013

Firstly, apologies that this trip report has taken so long to write. I went on this trip back in July 2013 and made some notes for my report at the time. For various reasons though I didn’t write it up. After a break from writing trip reports in the second half of last year I am now trying to get back in to them. Also, I am going to write a bit more about the destinations themselves as well as just the travel part.

Planning
Anyway, this trip report covers a short weekend away and is not particularly long. However, I thought it would be good to post as it covers one of the more frequently visited tier point run destination as far as BA Executive Club members are concerned. Most, including myself, use it to gain some tier points at relatively low expense. As it is quite easy to get back on the same plane at Jersey those doing tier point runs often spend a few minutes there. I decided back in early 2013 to have a weekend in Jersey during the summer. During a sale over New Year 2013 the cost of Club Europe tickets was reduced to around 182, so I choose a weekend in July and hope for the best as far as the weather was concerned.

The trip involved getting a train down to London on Friday evening after coming back home from work, staying near Gatwick on Friday night, getting the first flight to Jersey on Saturday morning, getting a late afternoon flight back to Gatwick on Sunday afternoon, and finally getting back across London to get a train back up to Leeds.

Costs
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) - 39.00
British Airways, LGW-JER-LGW (Club Europe) - 181.35
Best Western Royal Hotel - 79.00
Hertz car hire - 45.15
Trains - 53.40

Getting to LGW and overnight before flight
I work about 35 miles away from home, so plan for Friday evening was to drive home, change, collect my stuff, and get in to Leeds city centre for the 6.15pm train to London King’s Cross. All went well and made the train with time to spare.

I had got a ticket in standard class on East Coast trains and it was perfectly comfortable for the journey south. I spent most of the time catching up with a few previously downloaded programs on the BBC iplayer app on my ipad.

The train arrived in to King’s Cross 5 minutes late. I went off to get the tube to Victoria station on the Victoria line, and then on to a Southern Railway train to Gatwick. I have since found out there are direct trains to Gatwick from London St Pancras on First Capital Connect. St Pancras is across the road from King’s Cross, so it seems I have been a bit of an idiot going on the tube and then getting a train from Victoria!

On the Friday night I was staying at the Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal). This is the new one just across from the north terminal. There is another older Premier Inn about 5 minutes walk away from the north terminal. The train station at Gatwick is near the southern terminal so I needed to take the transit to the north terminal. I was in the hotel by 9.50pm and used the self-service check in machines in the lobby.

View from my room looking across the multi-storey to the north terminal.

My room at the Premier Inn.

The Premier Inn was perfectly fine, comfortable, and clean. I was on the 8th floor so had a view across to north terminal. When I first got in the room it was too warm, but after fiddling with the air conditioning it quickly cooled.

LGW(N) & First Lounge
On Saturday I woke around 4.30am and had a fairly slow start. I walked across from the Premier Inn to the north terminal and went to check in and bag drop at the club/first check in counters. I was seen to immediately and welcomed as it was my first time travelling from Gatwick since getting a gold card. I was advised to use the premium security lane which had just opened up. Security was fine and I was through in less than 5 minutes, and headed straight up to BA lounge.

The Ba lounges are upstairs and accessed by the elevators off to the right as you walk from the main shopping area in the terminal towards gates 45 – 55 & 101 – 113. The entrance to the first lounge is at the opposite side of corridor from the BA business lounge where I had been before. My boarding pass was scanned and I was welcomed in. No specific greeting for my first time in the first lounge at Gatwick.

The first lounge is much smaller that the business lounge, and is just basically a rectangular room. It is perhaps furnished a bit better than the business lounge. The other main advantages are availability of a hot breakfast ordered from the menu, and free pour champagne.

Menu in the lounge.

Once I had got myself a glass of water and a glass of champagne (Taittinger 2005) and ordered some scrambled eggs and bacon on toast from one of the lounge staff. The breakfast arrived in 5 minutes and was very tasty.

Breakfast with some champagne of course.

When I initially arrived at 6.10am there were about 5 passengers in the lounge, but that quickly rose and by 6.40am there were more like 20 passengers present.

Lounge.

British Airways BA2770
LGW(N)-JER
G-DOCW, B737-400
Club Europe, seat 2F
20 July 2013 - 07:25d, 08:25a (scheduled)
Duration - 1h 00m (scheduled)

Gate 55C came up on the information board at 6.45am. After finishing my breakfast and drinks I took the short walk to the gate which was not far. Boarding for the flight started at 7.00am. I was quickly aboard and welcomed by the purser. The Club Europe cabin has 11 passengers this morning including myself.

We pushed back on time and after a short queue we took off. After 10 minutes the cabin crew cam round offering breakfast which was a choice of cooked English or continental ham & cheese, I went for the cooked breakfast. The breakfast was served fairly quickly and I had a coffee as well. I must admit I am not the greatest fan of the BA Club Europe breakfast, it just seems a little too greasy for such an early hour. I also think it is not helped by the presentation, there is a china plate there so why not take the contents of the container and put it on the plate?

Breakfast on the flight.

Another channel island - Alderney.

It is a short flight to Jersey, and very quickly all the trays were being taken away and the cabin prepared for landing.

Once we landed and disembarked I went off to collect my checked bag which arrived after 10 minutes. I then headed off to collect my booked hire car at the Hertz counter which is on the left as you enter the arrivals hall.

There was only one member of Hertz staff on duty this morning and she was already occupied with another customer which lead to a longish wait to sort my car out unfortunately.

Although there is a good and relatively cheap bus service in Jersey which goes to most of the sights of interest, I felt for such a short stay that a car would be essential not to waste much time. Car collected, so I headed off from the airport.

Saturday
My plan for the day was to go to Corbiere lighthouse first for an hour or so, and then head to the Jersey War Tunnels which opened at 10.00am.

Coming in to land at JER.

After a very picturesque stop at the lighthouse off I went to the War Tunnels.

Jersey was occupied during the Second World War by the Germans, and the War Tunnels really were very interesting to walk around and learn some of that history from the exhibitions and information on display. I really would recommend it as a very interesting museum.

After the War Tunnels, the next stop was the La Mare Wine Estate on the northern side of the island. The estate offers tours to show you around and let you taste a few wines as well as cream liqueur, fudge, and chocolates which they make. On the tour I was on there were only two other ladies so we ended up having a nice small group. After the tour and the trip to the estate shop you are free to walk around the grounds.

After the wine estate I headed to Gorey which is on the eastern side of the island. I parked along the road a little towards the edge of Gory and walked in along side the beach – it was at this point in the wonderful weather I began to regret not bringing my swimming shorts. I walked up to Mount Orgueil Castle but didn’t go in.

Looking towards Mount Orgueil Castle.

After a fairly lengthy day I headed to the hotel to check in. The hotel is in St Helier which is the main town on Jersey. The hotel has a small car park for residents. However to get in to the car park you need a code for the shutter, so I ended up having to leave the car in front of the shutter and go to reception to get that – surely an intercom or forwarding the code before arrival would be better?

The hotel itself was ok, not great but not bad either. I had booked a single room which was actually quite spacious, and for 79 including breakfast at high season it was good value for money. Despite being a Best Western Diamond member no mention was made of this at check in and nothing offered for it. My experience with the Best Western reward program has been pretty poor based on this and previous stays at other Best Western hotels. At least at Hilton hotels they acknowledge your gold card and welcome you even when there is no room upgrade available.

Once settle in my room I ended up going to sleep for an hour as I think the early start had caught up with me.

After my snooze I headed downstairs for dinner at the bar/pub area within the hotel. The service was very good and the food good too. I ended up having a goats cheese started and a steak for main course. The waitress did try and persuade me to have a pudding but declined as I needed to head off soon. I had planned to head back to Corbiere lighthouse again for sunset.

Sunday
On Sunday morning I had breakfast in the hotel and headed off by foot to Elizabeth castle which is just off the coast of St Helier, and which you can walk to along at low tide.

In the castle area there are volunteer guides dressed up in period costume who gave a talk about the castle. They then gathered all the males and, after some tutoring, had us march from the parade ground down towards the cannon which fires once a day. A couple of the men were also chosen to pull the cannon in to place. It was all very enjoyable and certainly not boring as some of these types of museums or castles can be.

After the cannon firing I had a bit of a walk around.

Well the day was getting on at this stage and I needed to get back to the hotel, get to the airport, and head to the airport. I still had a little time before I needed to drop the car off so had a drive around the western side of the island. Eventually I got to the airport and left the car around 4.00pm.

JER & Terraces Lounge
After checking in at the BA desks and doing bag drop I headed to security. There were virtually no passengers in the security lanes so I was through quickly through. The departure hall is quite small and has a WH Smith, duty free shop, and a few places to eat. After buying some to read and some fudge for work colleagues I headed to the BA lounge which is near gate 3.

The lounge itself is small and in the terraces style. Snacks available were oatmeal biscuits, some nut things, crisps, fruit, and some unappetising looking soup. The drinks bar included some ros cava and prosecco - although it was warm to the touch. There was also a range of wines and spirits, and a coffee machine. Once of the interesting features of the lounge is the door which leads straight to the apron, and from where lounge passengers can board the aircraft from.

Lounge showing the door leading directly to the apron on the right.

Lounge showing drinks and snacks.

British Airways BA2775
JER-LGW(N)
G-DBCD, A319-100
Club Europe, seat 1A
20 July 2013 - 17:40d, 18:30a (scheduled)
Duration - 0h 50m (scheduled)

Boarding was called in the lounge and all the passengers headed out.

Boarding flight back to Gatwick.

The dove paint scheme.

I was quickly settles in 1A and no one was sat in 1C so I had plenty of room. Warm towels were handed out before pushback. Once airborne food was offered and drinks as well on the short flight.

Chicken salad, bread roll and champagne hadn’t arrived at this point.

Table which extends from the bulkhead for row 1 seats.

Legroom shot.

On our descent to Gatwick.

After landing on time we taxied and parked at gate 101 which is at the pier across from the high air bridge at the north terminal. As this is not a domestic gate it meant waiting for a bus to take us to the main building. After a short bus journey I set off to get my bag which fortunately didn’t take too long to arrive.

I had two hours to get across to King’s Cross station to make my train back to Leeds, and after a train journey to Victoria, and tube ride I made the station with time to spare.

King’s Cross, much better since the new departures area has been built.

The queue for taking your photo with the Harry Potter platform 9 sign.

Conclusion
I really enjoyed Jersey, and more than I thought I would. The island is not just a tier point run destination, and really worth at least a weekend visit. There is plenty to do and the island is small enough that it is easy to get around from one thing to another. I was lucky with the weather which really was very nice during the weekend as well.

Last edited by KARFA; Jan 23, 2014 at 8:28 am
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Silver, A Club
Lovely trip report. Shown my island in a lovely light
Old Jan 23, 2014, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
yes thanks for the TR KARFA and it mirrored our trip earlier this month other than weather was a bit colder and we went Y on a BA holiday and it has inspired me to write a TR on our next Holiday... smilerJER your island is lovely in any light even winter
Old Jan 23, 2014, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
Doing this for my birthday in July (using the scrag ends of a EU avios redemption and a cheap o/w) so cannot attend the do. Had a great time there in 3 different visits last year but this is the first time Tom is coming too.

Can you amend the:
"Costs
British Airways, LBA-LHR-ZRH-LCY (Club Europe) - 181.35"
Old Jan 23, 2014, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yellow_peril
Can you amend the:
"Costs
British Airways, LBA-LHR-ZRH-LCY (Club Europe) - 181.35"
Sorry, amended now. I copied the text from a previous TR but forgot to change it

Doing this for my birthday in July (using the scrag ends of a EU avios redemption and a cheap o/w) so cannot attend the do.
Shame you can't make the do. You could always come to Jersey twice in July, the other time for the do
Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Plat, Avis PC, Sixt Pl,
Great trip report KARFA! I loved Jersey when I went last year and can't wait for the 2014 DO.

As if there's no BARsinet on the ex-BMI 319s. What will I do with all the empty Pommery bottles?!

I stayed at that Premier Inn a week ago, and even though I'm IHG/Hilton/Accor loyal, I was very impressed for the small outlay - even the food in the bar was good.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 4:02 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Lovely photos Karfa, reminds me how nice Jersey is.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Great report KARFA! Enjoyable reading and very nice pictures, thanks for sharing!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:01 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:11 am
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by angatol
Nice report and nice pics. What camera did you use?
I have a Canon 5dmkIII which I bought last February. For most of the shots on aircraft (seats, meals etc.) I use a 17-40 f4.0L lens to get everything in. Everything else I tend to swap between my 24-105 f4.0L lens and my 70-200 f4.0L lens. I do have a couple of prime lenses (35, 50, 85mm) which I should use more but rarely take with me on my travels.

Ever thought of moving closer to home, to reduce your home-to-home commute?
Haha, well spotted. Corrected now.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Really good trip report, glad you enjoyed your stay! Those 180 odd CE fares are very good value.

Just a minor point to note in that that door from the lounge to the apron is only an emergency exit and not used for passengers. Just in case anyone thinks they'll try to use it for boarding!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FIRSTclstraveller
Really good trip report, glad you enjoyed your stay! Those 180 odd CE fares are very good value.

Just a minor point to note in that that door from the lounge to the apron is only an emergency exit and not used for passengers. Just in case anyone thinks they'll try to use it for boarding!
Thanks, yes don't try and go through it then. I got the impression from the lounge agent that sometimes you did board through the door depending which gate the aircraft was parked at but I must have misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying ^
Old Jan 23, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA
Haha, love the crowd at the 9 3/4ths platform...it used to be a BUNCH more nondescript, prior to this renovation, right?

Thanks for the TR...fantastic photos!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.