Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Aloha! LH F to the US, Montage BH, Andaz Maui, FS Lana'i, LH FCT & a Porsche 911

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloha! LH F to the US, Montage BH, Andaz Maui, FS Lana'i, LH FCT & a Porsche 911

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SFO777
Tell us how you really feel.
Good point about the name though. But since I no longer have the Centurion card, just the cheaper Platinum, I don't mind.
The Platinum is expensive enough and I guess only with Centurion Card holders the Lounge would be very empty
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, LH Miles & More, Air Asia BigShot, Les Collectioneurs
Originally Posted by offerendum
The Platinum is expensive enough and I guess only with Centurion Card holders the Lounge would be very empty
But it is good to segment your value proposition to some extent, won't cost anything (probably will save money) and will put the Centurion card holders at a higher place.

(says a Amex gold member who only uses the "yearly fee gold membership" amex to acquire some FB points.

Otherwise, nice trip report JohnRain. How is your investment fund doing, and in what is it investing? (questions the banker in me)
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
I love any lounge that is very empty.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by JohnRain
The lounge also has a spa section and a few shower rooms, but both were busy during my entire stay. And this is exactly the problem with this lounge: it's BUSY. You have to wait to check in, you have to look hard for an empty table and spa treatments are booked up to three hours in advance. If nobody had told me that this lounge was designed by Amex I would have guessed it, as it comes with the brand's typical "overpromise and underdeliver" characteristic. Seriously, how can a lounge be called "The Centurion" and be open for Platinum cardholders as well? I mean, there's a reason why we FT'ers are crazy for points, miles and the like and it's called exclusivity. Have you ever tried to enter a FCL in FRA/MUC or the FCT in FRA with your SEN card? I didn't think so. This lounge is so typical of Amex in general and the whole Centurion thing in particular it's comical: great concept, poor execution. The only "perk" you get as a Centurion cardholder is that in theory a few tables are reserved for you (I say in theory because nobody came to verify if I really have a Cent card.) And apparently you're also entitled to a few fancy cocktails that Plats have to pay for. Big deal. How about having a partitioned off seating area, a reserved shower room or extra spa slots? As long as that's not the case the lounge should be renamed "The Platinum".

I left the lounge disappointed and took the Skylink to the AA Terminal.
I've not been to the DFW Centurion lounge, and recently asked MrsLR2013 to check it out on her solo trip a few weeks ago. Well, she speed dialed my mobile and proceeded to let me know that if I ever wanted to go to another Centurion lounge anywhere, (insert unquotable opinions here). She said that the Admirals Club in the terminal was light years better , and informed me that if a Centurion lounge is the only option in a terminal, we are apparently going to find an empty gate to sit and be better off for it.

So many travelers tout these lounges as if they're the end-all, so I'm happy to see a similar (and more polite, LOL) opinion. ^

Last edited by LR2013; Sep 15, 2016 at 2:15 pm
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by LR2013
informed me that if a Centurion lounge is the only option in a terminal, we are apparently going to find an empty gate to sit and be better off for it.

So many travelers tout these lounges as if they're the end-all, so I'm happy to see a similar (and more polite, LOL) opinion. ^
Yeah, I don't get the hype either. They're crowded, the food is often unappetizing...I usually pop in for my complementary glass of Veuve and leave
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by CGRA
You flew on a new AA plane )
I know, CGRA...
And I didn't leave that to chance (barring a last-minute equipment swap), I booked it accordingly.

Originally Posted by CGRA
The lounge was less busy few years ago but it's still better than a regular AC (at least for the food where AC has no free food).
The lounge could be pretty good if only it were half as full. I've never been to a regular AC so I can't compare.

As an European such a Business product impress us😉
Exactly, offerendum...

Most highways would be a place for records without speed limits😎
True, but most highways don't have eight lanes (in each direction)...

Tell us how you really feel.
Good point about the name though. But since I no longer have the Centurion card, just the cheaper Platinum, I don't mind.
Hehe, I feel much better now (after the rant), thanks, SFO777...

Yeah, then again those Airbus bulkhead seats are not my first choice. Come to think of it, anything AA is not my first choice.
Although it does beat that phony Euro economy seat "Business Class".
Agreed.

Precisely, offerendum, that's the whole point. I expect a lounge called "The Centurion" to be empty, just as you would expect the FRA FCT to be empty (ish).

Originally Posted by Justin Case
But it is good to segment your value proposition to some extent, won't cost anything (probably will save money) and will put the Centurion card holders at a higher place.

(says a Amex gold member who only uses the "yearly fee gold membership" amex to acquire some FB points.

Otherwise, nice trip report JohnRain. How is your investment fund doing, and in what is it investing? (questions the banker in me)
Agreed, Justin Case, thanks for your comment.
I'll send you a PM regarding your question over the weekend.

Originally Posted by olafman
I love any lounge that is very empty.
My thoughts exactly, olafman!

Originally Posted by LR2013
I've not been to the DFW Centurion lounge, and recently asked MrsLR2013 to check it out on her solo trip a few weeks ago. Well, she speed dialed my mobile and proceeded to let me know that if I ever wanted to go to another Centurion lounge anywhere, (insert unquotable opinions here). She said that the Admirals Club in the terminal was light years better , and informed me that if a Centurion lounge is the only option in a terminal, we are apparently going to find an empty gate to sit and be better off for it.

Haha, thank you for your comment, LR2013.
Apparently I was at the lounge on the same day as MrsLR2013...

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Yeah, I don't get the hype either. They're crowded, the food is often unappetizing...I usually pop in for my complementary glass of Veuve and leave
That's how it's done, ironmanjt!
And since I don't care much for Veuve (The Bud Light of champagnes as a parisian friend (half) jokingly calls it), I think I'll just look for a nice Texas BBQ place at DFW on my next layover.

Update: the next installment will be online on Monday. Happy weekend y'all!
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:13 am

Congratulations on getting married
Old Sep 17, 2016, 2:02 pm

Check the sodium content. It can be scary.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Congratulations on getting married
Thank you very much, SQTraveller!

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Check the sodium content. It can be scary.
I stopped reading the list of ingredients when I saw that there's sugar and HFCS in it, Bretteee. Scary is indeed the right word. No more of that stuff for me in the future.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:38 am
Original Poster

I had stayed at the Montage a couple of years ago and was looking forward to return. The hotel is ideally located in the heart of the Golden Triangle of Beverly Hills, just steps away from iconic Rodeo Drive.

Exterior view.

Reception area.

Walking to my room.

Here we are: Room 301, a 81sqm Beverly Suite.

The entrance.

The living Room.

Sitting area.

Comfortable sofa.

Welcome amenity consisting of fresh and dried fruits. No chocolate cake and no alcohol? This must be SoCal.

The bedroom.

The bed with the first initial of my last name embroidered on a pillow.

Before starting my journey to the US I had been in contact with ironmanjt as he was looking to get a silver ducky from the FCT and I was keen on getting an UEFA ducky as I had just missed them. We agreed to a duck-trade and mine was waiting for me in my room at the Montage. It was of course thrilled to see its freshly-imported silver cousins from the FCT again. They went on chatting for hours, discussing issues ranging from the poor bathtub availability at the FCT at peak hours to the fact that this year's Oktoberfest ducky apparently was really hot.

The shower with good water pressure.

The bath tub with TV.

The guest toilet next to the entrance.

After a good night's sleep I woke up refreshed and went up to the rooftop terrace.

The world-famous Beverly Hills Police Department building. I had the Axel F tune in my ears every time I looked at it.

One of the highlights of the hotel is the rooftop pool.

The Rooftop Grill.

Looking down over the Patio and the Beverly Canon Gardens.

After a few laps in the pool I went back to my room to get ready for breakfast. I was satisified to see that my cars had just received their morning polish.
Tip#1 for successful holidays: always pack light and focus on the essentials: two cars, three wives and four nannies.

Tip#2: Go native. If you see a red carpet, walk on it and look like you belong there. Never mind that nobody saw me (except the guy cleaning the patio and he wasn't impressed).

Me on said red carpet.

I made my way to Georgie for breakfast.

View from the breakfast table.

Only in California: a smoothie with Cucumber, Avocado, Almond Milk, Kale, Low-Fat Yogurt & Agave: The aptly-named Green Giant.

The Maine Lobster Benedict.

And the Baked Eggs "En cocotte".

Nothing beats a light breakfast to jumpstart your day.

Conclusion: I have tried quite a few hotels in LA but the Montage remains one of my favourites, as it's in the middle of everything.
Up Next: Nobu Malibu: I'm sorry Kanye but this table is reserved.

Last edited by JohnRain; Sep 19, 2016 at 10:27 am
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
JR: You keep on demonstrating your mastery with a camera and lifestyle. Keep it up, for we are awaiting your take on the Aloha State.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Enjoying this.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
We agreed to a duck-trade and mine was waiting for me in my room at the Montage. It was of course thrilled to see its freshly-imported silver cousins from the FCT again. They went on chatting for hours, discussing issues ranging from the poor bathtub availability at the FCT at peak hours to the fact that this year's Oktoberfest ducky apparently was really hot.
Oktoberfest ducky?! Do NOT give me a reason to find a Lufthansa F seat this weekend!!!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:42 pm
Community Director Emerita

We agreed to a duck-trade and mine was waiting for me in my room at the Montage. It was of course thrilled to see its freshly-imported silver cousins from the FCT again. They went on chatting for hours, discussing issues ranging from the poor bathtub availability at the FCT at peak hours to the fact that this year's Oktoberfest ducky apparently was really hot.
This is hysterical. You are a superb writer.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Always was interested in Montage but it never worked out. Last time I decided to do Amangiri instead of a stop at LA. While the rooms are not fancy, I like the style. There are some interesting hotels in the are, glad I mustnīt decide soon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.