Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

a FUNny thing happened going to and from Tuvalu...Cathay F, Etihad Apts, Fiji Biz

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

a FUNny thing happened going to and from Tuvalu...Cathay F, Etihad Apts, Fiji Biz

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2016, 4:12 am

Programs: United MP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Great trip report as always, will be a shame losing your posts from FT. They really do rank up there as some of the best trip reports to read.
Old May 20, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The BA First lounge is not intended for first class passengers, it's essentially a dedicated lounge for emeralds. First class BA passengers would usually go to the Concorde Room ("CCR"). There is also a menu for food in Galleries First but you do have to flag down a staff member which is a bit of a challenge.

Extra power sockets in the Pier can be found in the drawers under the tables.
Old May 20, 2016, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Calchas
Extra power sockets in the Pier can be found in the drawers under the tables ()
Yeah the Pier was great, albeit a rather long walk. The Wing, on the other hand...felt like a glorified United Club
Old May 21, 2016, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
9. Two days in Paris

Arriving Paris early afternoon, I was looking forward to getting to my hotel and resting a bit. Of course, the trains had something completely different in mind for me. Back in January when I was in Paris, after an annoying hour waiting for passport control I ended up having major drama with the trains due to some track problems that took over three hours to get into the city from the airport. Unfortunately, this trip was to prove to have even worse drama.

The walk from terminal 2A where British Airways has its gates to the RER station is relatively long, but not too bad and was nice to have the exercise after spending all night on a plane. Got to the train station, bought my ticket, and then there was an announcement. I only began to hear it because people started yelling and the station flooded with heavily armed police. I decided the wise thing to do was follow the panicking crowds back up the escalators in the direction the police were yelling and pointing.

When I got to the top of the station and started walking back towards the terminal the announcement was much clearer: please evacuate the station due to a suspicious package. Seriously, that's all? It seems to happen pretty frequently in the D.C. metro these days, so was surprised at the level of panic. After waiting over an hour, we were finally allowed back into the station. I headed towards the platform for the RER, and was directed back again by the police. Seems now, the Terminal 2 RER station was closed due to track problems. Please head over to Terminal 3 and get the train from there. Seriously, ugh.

Took the inter-terminal shuttle train over to the Terminal 3 train station, only to find out with a bunch of other passengers, that trains were now suspended all the way to Aulnay-sous-Bois about six stations down the line. Oh, did I mention it was also pouring rain at this point? Instead of getting on the shuttle bus towards Aulnay, I decided to wait it out for 15 minutes in the station. At this point, they still had no idea when the line might reopen, so I resigned myself to the shuttle bus, which took nearly an hour to Aulnay after stopping off at every station along the way to pick up more passengers. Fortunately, I'd managed to get a seat because the bus ended up packed with soaking wet uncomfortable people. It was NOT a pleasant experience.

Fortunately, once I got to Aulnay the ticket I'd purchased at CDG still worked for the trip into Paris (it better since it's a shorter trip!) and I made it the rest of the way to the hotel in less than 45 minutes. As an added bonus, it was now only misting out so the five minute walk to my hotel from the Metro station wasn't bad at all. By this point, it was nearly 5pm and all of the afternoon had been lost. Fortunately, this time of year it stays light until nearly 21:30 in Paris, so was able to go out and grab some drinks with friends still.

Got back to the hotel around 9pm, and was ready to collapse. The restaurant I'd wanted to eat at was completely packed and couldn't promise a seat until after 10, so I pulled up TripAdvisor and decided to see what else was within a short walk since it was nearly 21:30 at this point. Of all things, there was a Thai restaurant that was highly recommended just around the corner.

Communication was an interesting experience. Their accents were incredibly difficult in French, so we made due with some Thai-French-English blend which resulted in me getting my Pad Thai just as I wanted it - no fish, extra chicken, and very spicy. Ironic to get Pad Thai after I'd just been in Thailand a few days prior, but hey, that's Globalization for you!

Name:  IMG_0470-2-1024x768.jpg
Views: 2688
Size:  131.6 KB

Slept a solid 10 hours which was awesome with the big time zone shift the night before, and headed out in the morning to get some coffee. After coffee I felt like going for a walk, so just decided to start wandering. About 15 minutes later I was at the Louvre, which was absolutely packed with tourists. After taking pictures for three different Russian weddings and a group of loud Midwesterners (seriously the only people in the area without selfie sticks - which are EVERYWHERE in Paris these days) I snapped a quick photo for myself:

Name:  IMG_0472-1024x768.jpg
Views: 2707
Size:  129.7 KB

The day was the perfect amount of overcast - just enough to keep things cool for a long walk, but the sun poked through just enough times to keep things warm as well. Headed out of the Louvre past the Place du Carrousel:

Name:  IMG_0475-1-768x1024.jpg
Views: 2708
Size:  120.5 KB

Kept walking through the Jardin des Tuileries and stopped for a bit at one of the fountains to people watch, and watch some baby ducks splashing around:

Name:  IMG_0477-1-1024x768.jpg
Views: 2701
Size:  130.9 KB

Past the statue of Julius Ceasar:

Name:  IMG_0478-768x1024.jpg
Views: 2728
Size:  189.8 KB

To another small pool, where I sat for a bit to take enjoy the view of the Grande Roue de Paris:

Name:  IMG_0480-2-1024x768.jpg
Views: 2652
Size:  103.8 KB

This is where things got a little weird. A tour group of Americans came by and their French leader asked them to get themselves arranged to take an end of tour photo. I wasn't really paying attention - just zoning out and enjoying the view - and he came up to me and asked "excuse me sir, can I bother you a moment?" My tired brain wasn't registering at the moment, and he sounded like another trinket seller trying to get me to buy something, so I asked him to please go away. He persisted and asked "no, I just want you to take a picture please." This is when I'd realized I'd been a little rude, and of course agreed to take the photo.

He got the group together, I gave them the "1-2-3 Cheese" and then "one more" and went back to sitting down and enjoying the view. He switched back to English with his group and said "yes, they're good! sorry about that, it's those kind of people who give us Parisians a bad name with tourists!" Never in my life has my terrible French been mistaken for Parisian, so I guess - in a way - it was a compliment!

Statue at the Place de la Concorde:

Name:  IMG_0483-1-768x1024.jpg
Views: 2683
Size:  110.5 KB

The Obelisk of Luxor:

Name:  IMG_0484-1-768x1024.jpg
Views: 2692
Size:  99.8 KB

Love this kinda artsy shot of one of the fountains...ruined only by a Calvin Klein ad in the background:

Name:  IMG_0486-768x1024.jpg
Views: 2676
Size:  191.7 KB

Took a nice leisurely stroll up the Champs-Élysées stopping once at the park and another time in the middle for some coffee and people watching, and finally got to the Arc de Triomphe:

Name:  IMG_0489-768x1024.jpg
Views: 2775
Size:  137.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0490-1-994x1024.jpg
Size:  263.1 KB

I could only have so much playing tourist, so didn't bother going up to the top for the view, plus the lines were absolutely insane! Instead, since my "short walk" had already taken me so far, I decided why not keep going. Wandered down some side streets I'd never found before, which appeared to be through a bit of an Embassy district. Also found a little sign of home:

Name:  IMG_0492-1-1024x768.jpg
Views: 2682
Size:  149.8 KB

Kept walking until I got to the Trocadero Gardens, and finally got a great view from across the Seine of the Eiffel Tower:

Name:  IMG_0493-768x1024.jpg
Views: 2750
Size:  102.4 KB

Kept walking along the Left Bank, and eventually the pedestrian Passerelle Debilly:

Name:  IMG_0495-1024x768.jpg
Size:  181.6 KB

By this point, I'd had enough of walking. I considered walking up the Left Bank all the way to the Musée d'Orsay and Notre Dame, but it was already mid-afternoon at this point, and I was getting pretty tired out. So, I caught the RER and decided to get off at Bastille, since I hadn't wandered through that area in several years:

Name:  IMG_0496-723x1024.jpg
Views: 2666
Size:  78.6 KB

By this point, I realized I was starving since I hadn't eaten in over six hours and had just had a few coffees during the long walk. I picked a café at random that looked just local and busy enough, and grabbed a seat for some people watching. Relatively friendly service for Paris, efficient, and a tasty glass of Médoc and a Croque Madame for a tasty late lunch:

Name:  IMG_0497-2-768x1024.jpg
Views: 2679
Size:  126.4 KB

With that, I ended up meeting some friends out for evening drinks and passing out early. The long day of walking had worn me out but it was nice to just take in the city without any plans or itinerary. Was a great way to spend a full day and enjoy Paris without being too touristy. Drinks with local fiends and just taking in the city and people watching made for a very nice trip.

Fortunately, my flight out the next morning wasn't too early, so I also got to sleep in just a little bit. Next up, quick stop in London!
Old May 22, 2016, 11:15 am
Original Poster

10. Paris to London with British Airways, overnight in London

Got to sleep in a slight bit since my flight wasn't leaving until around noon, and I just hoped there wouldn't be metro/RER drama this morning on my way to the airport. Stopped for a coffee then headed to the metro; quick transfer at Les Halles and caught an RER after just a few minutes. Unfortunately, the train was absolutely packed and was hotter than a sauna. Everyone was starting to drip sweat, and since I had extra time decided to get off at Gare du Nord and wait for the next train.

Next train was much cooler, and empty to the point I even got a seat, and from there it was a quick 30 or so minute ride to the airport. Quick walk back over to Terminal 2A, where there was a super long check-in queue for British Airways - even in the priority line. Seemed most passengers were connecting onwards to North America and had 1,400 suitcases each. Finally got to the front of the line, and got to have a bit of an argument with a check-in agent who insisted my rolling bag could not possibly fit in overhead bins. She insisted I check it.

I told her it does fit, agents don't have a problem with it, and finally she gave in and said "fine, I'm working the gate too, we can ask the flight attendants!" With that, I headed off to a painless security queue and eventually made my way to the lounges...since the every-so-friendly check-in agent hadn't told me which lounge to go to, when confronted with the choice of Cathay or American, well, I made the logical choice.

Since I'd only had coffee I was pretty hungry, so decided to see if there was anything interesting to eat....and OMG there it was...crack from Hong Kong. I was given a buzzer to await my crack dealer to arrive...

Name:  IMG_0501-2-768x1024.jpg
Views: 2530
Size:  126.7 KB

Soon it buzzed, and crack in a bowl was delivered - DanDan Noodles. The glass of champagne almost didn't happen since I encountered some kind of stopper I couldn't figure out how to get off the bottle. Neither could the other two people who were trying. Fortunately, we were saved by a lounge attendant, and brunch was salvaged!

Name:  IMG_0502-1024x768.jpg
Views: 2488
Size:  95.9 KB

Got to the gate just as they were about to begin boarding and of course nothing at all was said about my bag...which of course fit just fine in the overheads just as it had on the way in.

British Airways flight 309
Paris, Charles de Gaulle (CDG) to London, Heathrow (LHR)
Depart 12:05, Arrive 12:25, Flight Time: 1:20
Airbus A319, Registration G-EUPS, Manufactured 2007, Seat 5F
Miles Flown Year-to-Date: 75,762
Lifetime Miles Flown: 2,265,287

Super quick flight, but not too quick...and lived up to the challenge of managing two minis of champagne before landing. Another very impressive meal for such a short flight that hit the spot perfectly.

Name:  IMG_0503-2-1024x768.jpg
Views: 2501
Size:  111.9 KB

Took the Heathrow Express into the city, and assuming that I would have Etihad chauffeur service I'd booked in at the Le Meridien Piccadilly. Unfortunately, Etihad decided my ticket was a connection despite the overnight, and thus not eligible for chauffeur service in London. Not a big deal at the end of the day...until I found out the Bakerloo line wasn't running from Paddington to Piccadilly, meaning a transfer. Three trains to get to the hotel wasn't bad in the middle of the day, but the next morning that wasn't going to happen.

There was a line of eight people waiting to check in when I arrived at the hotel, so did something I rarely do which is go to the side of the counter dedicated for SPG Platinum check-in. No problem until the next in line was called, and I walked over to the agent. I got rudely shoved by a rather rotund American gentleman who was the next in the regular line and insisted "I was next!" I told the agent I was waiting for Platinum and his comment was "well I'm gold so f*** off." What's that thing about the ugly American again... Not wanting to waste time, I waited the two minutes.

It was 2:15 at this point, and I was told my room wasn't ready. They had upgraded me to a junior suite, but it would be another 30 minutes before it was ready. I was told I could either leave my bags, or go wait in the lounge. Since it was only 30 minutes, I opted to wait in the lounge and the agent said she would call up when the room was ready.

An hour went by, and still no call. So I went down to the front desk, and "oh, yeah, it's ready - sorry I forgot." Ugh. I know the hotel can't be blamed for the rude guy in the check-in line, but so far I wasn't overly impressed. On the plus side, the junior suite was quite nice, and unusual for hotels in London the temperature was actually decently on the cool side.

I was starting to drag at this point, so walked around the corner to perhaps the poshest Starbucks I've even been in...which didn't stop them from spelling my name wrong yet again:

Name:  IMG_0517-576x1024.jpg
Views: 2477
Size:  86.4 KB

Spent the evening catching up with friends, including drinks, followed by dinner, followed by more drinks. The hotel did turn out do be in the perfect location for walking from place to place, and was definitely a good choice! Got a nice view of Piccadilly Circus at night on the walk back to the hotel:

Name:  IMG_0519-1024x768.jpg
Views: 2507
Size:  132.4 KB

With that, my short stopover in London had come to a close and it was time to get some rest so I could enjoy the capstone of the trip - flying Etihad in Apartments and First Class to Washington via Abu Dhabi!
Old May 22, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Hi,
Great report. One thing I did not follow about Etihad pick up. I thought that was only
BEFORE the flight on th day of departure. Why would they pick you on arrival on
another airline....??? I am definitely missing something...

F.A.
Old May 22, 2016, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyalways
Hi, Great report. One thing I did not follow about Etihad pick up. I thought that was only BEFORE the flight on th day of departure. Why would they pick you on arrival on another airline....??? I am definitely missing something...
Nope, I didn't expect them to bring me from LHR to the hotel, but had thought the next morning they would bring me from the hotel to LHR...but no.

"American has labeled this ticket as a connection, and limo service is not available on connections." Best part was, when I asked what could be done "Call American Airlines and tell them not to code this as a transit, they will be familiar, they do this all the time."

Can you just see: "Hey, American...you coded my flight as a connection so Etihad won't give me a driver from my hotel in London...can you do something about that?"

Sure we can...and then we will bill this as two awards, CDG-LHR and LHR-AUH...
Old May 22, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'm not sure if this was the issue but they expect you to use your call button or they leave you alone.

I'm happy CX allows F louge access when connecting to a same day J flight. Looking forward to fill up in the lounge and then sleep for most of the flight from HKG-SYD
Old May 22, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Diamond Ambassador, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hilton Gold
Reports like this are the reason I got hooked on FT. Reading the TR really makes me want to travel and see the world, even though I've just come back from holiday! Really enjoyed the sunsets, noodles and your way of telling a story.
Old May 23, 2016, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

11. London to Abu Dhabi in Etihad A380 Apartments, overnight in Abu Dhabi

I had decided the night before that given a 9:35 flight time, and the desire to be there 90 minutes minimum before, combined with the fact the Bakerloo Line wasn't running all the way to Paddington Station, that I was going to take an Uber to Paddington. I figured I already had my ticket from there, so this would be the best value for time and money.

Uber showed up within just a few minutes of requesting it, it was a pretty inexpensive ride to Paddington, and I even had time to grab some Starbucks at Paddington before my train departed. Say what you will about UK trains, but the fact trains were running on a reduced schedule this Saturday due to track work was well-posted everywhere, and the train left exactly when the sign said it would. Pretty good in my book!

Had to catch the shuttle train over to Terminal 4 for Etihad, which meant about a five minute wait followed by another two minutes or so on the train. Overall not too bad. From there, it was a relatively short walk to the check-in area, where the Etihad checkin was deserted about 1:30 before flight time. Quick and efficient check-in at the dedicated first class counter, no questions asked about checked bags, and off to security.

No wait at all at the priority security line, and was through and to the lounge maybe ten minutes after check-in. Could have been even quicker if it wasn't a slight bit of a walk to the lounge. Took the elevator down to the lounge, checked in, and went into what was an extremely crowded lounge. There were only a few seats to be had, since Etihad operates a combined lounge for both first and business class. In fairness, as soon as I sat down an attendant came over to ask what I would like to drink and delivered it quickly, but there is nothing first class about a crammed full lounge with nearly 100 people in it.

After about 15 minutes I was over it, and decided to go for a short walk up and down the terminal to stretch my legs a bit before the big event. Unfortunately, this was another area where Etihad missed the mark. After boarding those with disabilities and families with children (at which point 50+ people boarded), they offered combined boarding for first, business, and elite members all at the same time. There was a fair bit of pushing and jostling (I hadn't lined up, expecting first to be called first) and probably should have just waited to board last. To top things off, my boarding pass beeped and I was informed my seat was inoperative. Fortunately, it would turn out I was the only person in first class and they had put me in 3A instead of 3K - the same exact seat, just a different side.

Etihad flight 12
London, Heathrow (LHR) to Abu Dhabi, UAE (AUH)
Depart 9:35, Arrive 20:10, Flight Time: 7:35
Airbus A380, Registration A6-APF, Manufactured 2015, Apartment 3A
Miles Flown Year-to-Date: 79,194
Lifetime Miles Flown: 2,268,719

I was welcomed on board by the agent at the door, and shown to my apartment for the flight, first impressions were WOW - that's a lot of space!

I was told to just leave my bags, and they would stow them for me after everyone had boarded. See what I mean by a lot of space? This is the perspective of the apartment from the seat:

As soon as I was seated, it was suggested I might like a glass of champagne. Apparently, word about me had gotten out. Although the Bollinger Grande Année isn't the most expensive first class bottle out there, I give Etihad points for originality and trying something different. Served with some dates and Arabic coffee:

So, what's the menu?

Panoramic view of the suite:

Since I hadn't eaten breakfast yet, I decided to go with a full lunch just after departure. Not just mixed nuts, but also wasabi peas and olives were offered, very nice touch!

After that, the table was set for lunch:

A rather unusual pea terrine as an amuse-bouche...different...

The Arabic mezze as an appetizer. It was good, but a bit on the bland side overall. I was pretty surprised for such an extravagant hard product Etihad wouldn't offer caviar as a starter.

Extremely strange palate cleanser...I couldn't quite make out what the flavours were supposed to be.

The salmon main course. In fairness, most places usually overcook salmon on the ground, so it's no surprise this was also a little overdone. However, considering it was done on a plane and served with creative sides, overall it was a pretty good main course.

Now that's better - this is what I call a cheese plate! However, the fact there were only two cheese was a bit on the stingy side, although the self-described "fruit paste" was a tasty addition.

I wasn't in the mood for anything sweet at this point, so spent the next few hours watching some movies and tv on the entertainment system. There was a very good selection of both movies and tv, and plenty to keep you entertained on the longest of flights.

Just over an hour from landing, I used the call button (something I've only recently become comfortable doing) and asked if I could have the famous Etihad steak sandwich and a glass of the Malbec. The sandwich was a bit underwhelming, but the Malbec definitely exceeded expectations:

One last shot of the door to my apartment before landing. Maximum 3 passengers during flight:

Upon landing, there was an extremely long line at passport control. Fortunately I'd been given a priority lane card, but this was shared with every other first and business class passenger arriving at the same time. All told, I had to wait over 20 minutes for passport control, which again is not very first class. Normally I wouldn't blame the airline for lines at passport control, but given that Etihad (along with Emirates and Qatar) receive significant government support, passport lines are certainly within their control if they wanted.

Overall thoughts on the Etihad apartments? The seat was far and away the most space I've ever had on a plane. Granted, I wasn't able to try it for sleeping so I'm not sure how comfortable it is as a bed, but overall the space was amazing. Plus, being the only passenger in first sure didn't hurt either! The service was also top notch. The crew was the perfect balance of being friendly, personable, and professional. They were friendly and willing to chat if you wanted, but also were never the least bit bothered by any request.

The food service was slightly below what I would have expected. I expect international first class meals to have a bit of a wow factor, and on this flight it felt just like super fancy business class food. Nothing special to set it apart. The real disappointments were the ground service. Overcrowded lounge, poor boarding process, and poor airport experience on arrival.

Speaking of arrival...I had prebooked the airport transfer, and not knowing the process I went to the transfer desk where they confirmed that yes, I had preordered it, and should just go curbside to be taken care of. The curbside process was quite efficient, with the queue managers having scanners that would scan your boarding pass and confirm your transfer, and in just a couple minutes they had you in a car. Again, one more area Etihad fell short, first class was grouped with business class so I ended up waiting nearly 10 minutes for a car. If you're going to offer a first class product, you need to make sure to provide more than business class on the ground as well.

That said, the car was very comfortable, equipped with water, powerful AC, and reading materials, and after a short ride I was at my hotel - the Aloft Abu Dhabi. Normally, I avoid "discount" chains like the plague, but my previous Aloft experiences in Bogota and Denver have left me with a rather positive impression of the brand. To top that off, many reviews list Abu Dhabi as the best Aloft in the world, so I was curious to give it a try given the extremely low rate for SPG redemption.

Friendly reception, confirmed an upgrade to a larger room, and then offered me free breakfast, two free drinks at any of their bars or restaurants, as well as two free gourmet coffees at any venue. Wow, not bad on a 2,000 Starpoints rate!

It was getting late at this point, and I was pretty tired, so I headed up to the rooftop bar to enjoy my two free pre-bed drinks. How can you resist something called the Absolutely Fabulous when you're in Abu Dhabi?

Overall, big points to the Aloft Abu Dhabi! I was super pleased with the experience, and it's probably one of the best SPG value for money experiences I've ever had! I didn't have a huge breakfast the next morning, but they had a huge buffet open as well. There was quite literally nothing about this hotel that could have been improved. Location-wise, I'm not sure how great it is, but it was convenient to the airport, and unless you're a diva who needs the Ritz Carlton every time, this hotel can't be beat. Anyone who reads my blog knows what a princess I can be when it comes to hotels, so when I say this property has it all...it really does!

Now, off to the airport for one more Etihad first flight home...
Old May 24, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
The hard-product is without question extravagant. The food is indeed not really F-like. Would expect something like that in J.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:06 am

Your Etihad 'flying bedroom' looks cavernous!

I'm guessing your upcoming intra-Africa flights won't be so luxurious?
Old May 25, 2016, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

12. Abu Dhabi to Washington, Dulles in Etihad 787-9 First Class

When I booked my Etihad transfer back to the airport, they sent me an email telling me they would pick me up at 8:30am. 2:15 before the flight, based on the fact I was in first and supposedly the lounge was nothing to write home about, was just right for me. Went to bed, woke up, went down to breakfast, and was reading my email when...

I saw that at 11pm the night before, they sent me another email telling me they would pick me up at 7:45am. This was at about 8:10am when I was eating breakfast...I ran over to the front desk, and yes, they've tried calling my room, the driver has been waiting since 7:45...and has just left. Way to change the transfer less than 12 hours before the flight Etihad, when normal people are sleeping, and to leave without me.

Fortunately I was able to get an Uber in about 10 minutes, and was to the airport for just over 45 Dirhams. But then, dropped off at the first class check-in area (the one thing that seems to be separated on the ground for first and business passengers) and was told "oh, no, we have closed the flight. You have been offloaded." 1:58 before the flight. It seems US flights close for checkin two hours before the flight due to US Customs/Immigration pre-clearance. Why in the world had Etihad misled me with an email leading me to believe it was ok to be picked up 2:15 before my flight? UGH!

Fortunately, the agent made some phone calls, and was very clear when she told me "this is a one time exception - next time you cannot travel" - and yes, this is ground services for a first class that is trying to compete with the best in the world. So far, except for the hard product on the A380, they were falling way, WAY short in my book.

Fortunately, no wait for immigration or security, and I'd been warned I needed to head straight to US Pre-clearance, no time to spend in the general lounge. I still popped in for one minute to confirm there is still no separate first class lounge (seriously? you build apartments in the sky but can't build a lounge for first class?) and headed to pre-clearance. There were still plenty of people in line, I was quickly processed through Global Entry, quick interview by the agent for customs purposes, and was through to the gate area.

Etihad does have a lounge after pre-clearance, and it was incredibly small and packed again since it was shared by business, first, and all their frequent flier elites. Yes, like London, it's nice you have waiter service, but when you have 100 people in the lounge it kind of defeats the point. At least the AC was nice while we waited to board.

Like London, no priority boarding for First, just a scrum with all the elites and business class. It really seems to Etihad they think that first class just means a better seat. That's nice and all, but it makes them far from competitive with other international first class...and this is coming from a guy whose biggest selling point at 6'4 is generally the seat!

Etihad flight 131
Abu Dhabi, UAE (AUH) to Washington, Dulles (IAD)
Depart 10:45, Arrive 17:00, Flight Time: 14:15
Boeing 787-9, Registration A6-BLB, Manufactured 2015, Seat 1A
Miles Flown Year-to-Date: 86,282
Lifetime Miles Flown: 2,275,807

Just as in London, once boarded, the whole experience changed. Sure, it wasn't an apartment, but the 787 suite was still extremely nice!

Being a morning flight, I thought it best to go slowly, and join the glass of champagne with a glass of orange juice. Once again, dates and arabic coffee were also offered.

The menu looked surprisingly similar to the flight in from London in many ways, just a few different choices:

Picture of Abu Dhabi after takeoff...the rear-facing seats were great for taking pics:

Same mixed nuts, wasabi peas, and olives starter as out of London...but I didn't mind. Beats the usual boring nuts!

I decided to have a full lunch as I'd had a small breakfast, so the table was set:

The amuse bouche...I'm honestly not sure what it was, but it tasted mildly fishy.

The scallops appetizer. Rather small, but they were perfectly cooked so a nice light starter. The green apple was an interesting contrast in flavours, and I think it kind of overwhelmed the scallops. Not a fan of the pairing. Went nicely with champagne though

Choice of breads, and butter and oil. Not sure the point of putting the little cover on the butter, but...

Palate cleanser....mint ice...did its job...

The onboard chef recommended the biryani, so I had to give it a try. I have to say it was absolutely delicious...great combination of spices, just enough saffron, cashews...super tasty. Also went nicely with the Malbec.

You knew I wasn't going to pass up the cheese. The green apples and "fruit paste" made another appearance, and added a great touch.

In flight, love this shot of the curved 787 wing since I was seated "backwards" against the bright blue sky with the windows just slightly tinted:

Instead of passing out, I couldn't resist dessert...chocolate and vanilla ice cream. They seemed surprised that I would want more than one flavour. It was pretty tasty though!

At this point, a glass of wine, and time to pass out for a nice five hour nap:

Woke up, watched a little tv, and about 90 minutes before landing decided to give the steak sandwich one more try. I had asked them in advance to make sure they saved one, and I'm glad I did because it was much better than the flight in from London. I know some of the preparation on board is done by the chef, so there is slight variation from flight to flight. I have to say this one did an extremely nice job!

I asked for another cheese plate to finish off my snack, but unfortunately there was no more left. It was suggested I try the pistachio cake, so I decided to go for it. I could only manage two bites though - it was way too incredibly sweet tasting and almost hurt my teeth:

With this, the flight was over. Landed at the domestic gate, train to the main terminal, got to baggage claim and there were about two dozen drivers waiting...but not mine. Etihad had texted me his information...so I called. Despite the fact we landed 10 minutes late my driver was still 15 minutes away. Maybe I just got super unlucky with the ground experience, but I found Etihad failed on nearly every front.

On the ground, I couldn't distinguish what I received from business class, and the wines and food served in the air were also no better than business class quality. The only thing I found "first class" about Etihad was the seats - which were some of the best first class of any airline in the world, and the service in the air (only) which was also definitely top notch international first class standard. I will give Etihad another try, but after two flights they would be way down my list for a true comprehensive first class experience.

Next up, in less than 48 hours, I'm off to countries #193 and #194 - Mali and Mauritania. After than, just two to go!!!
Old May 26, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: FT
I was going to say, the wines did not seem to be that great other than the bubbles. Grand Annee is very nice stuff. i would take that over Krug and several others any day of the week...DP included but its more my style...the RD....i am drooling...that is messed about about the cock up on the closure of the flight. that would be brutal if their caused you to miss the flight.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Disappointing experience with EY ground service. Mine was much better. Will try again next week as well. Hopefully the darn first class lounge opens on 30 May as promised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.