London to Inverness - by Sleeper

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London to Inverness - by Sleeper

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thank you, Sealink, for rekindling the memories of my trip aboard the Caledonian Sleeper back in 2010. Like you, I caught a single cabin and travelled to Inverness. Unlike you, I was not served a formal dinner (food was available in the lounge car but was not included in the fare) and breakfast was a small tray delivered to my room bearing a bacon roll, a biscuit, a pot of coffee and a bottle of orange juice.

From what little I could make out of the lounge car serving your ride, our lounge seemed better suited to lounging with comfy couches on one end and casual cocktail tables at the other.

Thanks for a nice report! I look forward to my next ride on the Sleeper, as well as a journey up to Wick if only to see what's up there. Pity the day trip cars serving places like Wick and Kyle of Lochalsh don't offer a nicer seating option. That said, I rode upon the old 158 Express Sprinters. It'd be nice if the new cars coming in (Perhaps even the ex-Great Western Railway stock) might offer a small Business/First section.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Well, i'm on the caley sleeper the noo from stirling and from a surprise work move i may be using it once a week. This is brilliant, i am a big kid though. Anyway, i asked in the lounge car about where the old style lounge with sofas was - they rotate them. Seated old school first class on this one too (edit just got to edinburgh and pulled up next to one of the other two this one joins with...i can see the sofas from my bed!). I broke the door to the lounge straight away (door pad, do not pull handle, i pulled handle). Thing is, i love these old carriages, the seats are so comfy and i spent many a weekend on ten pound upgrades visiting a mate when virgin first took the WCML years ago pre pendolino. Seats were more or less the same on those mk3s, big comfy arm chairs. Sod edi-lcy, im doing this from now on returning on the 3pm kings cross to stirling service. Sorry ba, the e190s are great, but the beer is better here. Fyne ales ahoy! It really is quiet in the berth, i think i'll be sad when the new service kicks in in a couple of years. Im sure the work will kick me to these so called pods as well if they label them business class....airline bed equivalent i suppose!

Ps seat 2a, i hate the 158s! The 156s are preferable unbelievably! They have started bringing in redone 158s and i must say they are much better. Anyone with legs is now welcome to sit.

Last edited by jcm9000; Apr 5, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.