Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honolulu and the Halekulani via United and American First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
And we finished by splitting the wonderful Halekulani’s Signature Coconut Cake:
Chiffon Cake, Coconut-Amaretto Cream, Whipped Cream, Shredded Coconut.

It's sad, but after the rest of this post, it seems the only reasons to visit the Halekulani might be this cake (which is delicious) and Lewers Lounge (we love Maggie Herron).
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Thanks for sharing, SFO777 - a real mix of nostalgia and envy! Having spent a week in Wailea and a few days in Kona, we had the last two nights of our honeymoon at Halekulani five years ago next month. Great to see some shots of the place again. I'd totally frogtten about the 70s bathrooms! Really enjoyed Room without a key and Orchid when we were there. Never made it to Alan Wong's but did enjoy a first trip to Nobu across the road from the hotel.

Looks like you guys are having a wonderful trip.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by KenS
Not to hijack SFO777's post (Ok, I guess I just did) This picture has white spots out the window. Those are not due to the camera, not on the window, but in or above the water below. Can someone please tell me what that is? I noticed this on my recent flight into Honolulu but haven't been able to find out what the heck it is.
Ummmmm... Waves?.....
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:27 am

Not to shabby for UA domestic flight. Hope you're having. A great time, just love Hawaii. Look forward to more as always
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Great report, thank you!
Getting me excited for my trip to Hawaii in December/January!
Great pics and yes, the food does look better than AA's.
Keep it up and enjoy.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:00 am

Yes! Glad you're traveling again - living vicariously here!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by GreatBritishBAECOff
Ummmmm... Waves?.....
+1
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Not to hijack SFO777's post (Ok, I guess I just did) This picture has white spots out the window. Those are not due to the camera, not on the window, but in or above the water below. Can someone please tell me what that is? I noticed this on my recent flight into Honolulu but haven't been able to find out what the heck it is.

Now back to your regularly scheduled, award worthy, trip report!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitecaps
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UAL250
Great start SFO777. I promise I'm not stalking you, I just found this at the top right when I clicked on Trip Reports!
I think UA's crews and food have been a lot better recently compared to right after the merger. Still room for improvement, but I have found no reason to leave. Hope you have a great stay.
Thanks very much UAL250. Indeed, UA domestic catering has definitely improved in the past year since the calzone or nothing days.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
not something you will hear in a UA trip report every day! The cabin on those 772s doesn't look awful, but definitely lacks privacy.
Thank you PV_Premier. Certainly beats the 739s and 757s from SFO and LAX.

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
As a military person, I have always stayed at the military hotel down the beach by the HHV. I have walked through the lobby of the Halekulani many, many times.
In the picture of the room service menu, what was the invitation to?
Great report. Enjoy the islands.
Thanks HawaiiTrvlr. Mrs. SFO remembered that she had also stayed at military hotel many years ago when her dad was active. The invitation was to a weekly Manager's reception.

Originally Posted by arlflyer
UA food looks interesting...salad with a side of - stuffing? And bone-in chicken; gutsy move. Definitely better than AA.
Thanks arlflyer. Definitely better than today's USdbaAA.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Halkelani or whatever is supposed to be the #1 hotel in Honolulu. So it was very interesting seeing the pictures.
In 1982 I stayed at the Pink Palace next door and it was fantastic. Flew on Pan Am F award. In those days it was so easy to get an F award. It included a limo from my apartment to the heliport and a free helicopter ride to JFK on New York Airways.
The flights were discontinued. One passenger got decapitated boarding by a propeller. Awful.
Originally they took off from the top of the Pan Am building. One propeller fell on Madison Avenue also killing a pedestrian.
Sorry to be so morbid. But your trip to Honolulu in an old fashioned F configuration brought back memories.
The so called F or C on UA looks like F in the 1970s on PAA and TWA.
As to United economy must be awful.
I better be careful how I am dressed if I ever sit next to you and make sure I am wearing the same color socks on each foot.
But I doubt it as I sit in 3rd class. My last F flight was on Pan Am in 82.
Thanks for an interesting fun report.
Thank you Bretteee, although maybe not for the helicopter thing.

I actually flew the same United flight 5 days earlier when I did the annual grandkid shuttle to the islands. Used 22,500 miles each and paid $97 to upgrade us to E+. The plane's 2-5-2 seating made it challenging but it worked as the two kids had a side pair with lots of leg room for them and I had an inside aisle across from them. Lucked out with an empty seat beside me. Certainly not Mrs. SFO's cup of tea, but it wasn't that horrible especially for a couple in the two seats side of E+.

Originally Posted by mike&co
Here we go again, stand by your iPads great start. The room certainly has a view to die for - stunning ^
Thanks so much mike&co.

Originally Posted by 2919scott
Your HNL-DEN flight looked good. It's been my experience that the strength of UA are the flight crews, when they're good it makes all the difference.
I've yet to have a really bad UA crew all year. IMO, consistently better than they erratic service you get on AA. Thank you 2919scott.

Originally Posted by stu1985
What great timing SFO777 - I'm taking my first trip to HNL in a little over three weeks and your pictures of the views have got me just that little bit more excited. Looking forward to the rest of this
Thanks very much stu1985. Enjoy Hawaii.

Originally Posted by reverted
Great report so far. Love the Halekulani. Hope you get to check out Orchids for Sunday brunch! Love it. Also excited to hear about Alan Wongs
Thank you reverted. We're leaving tomorrow so will miss Sunday brunch unfortunately.

Originally Posted by CRAZ8
On my last trip to Honolulu we did Alan Wongs and were disappointed by the experience. Red curry paste has no business being on a piece of fillet steak - and I should have known this before ordering it.
Roy's - across the street from Halekulani blew us away with how good the food is - get a table outside though.
Thanks CRAZ8 for your comments. Sorry to hear about your Alan Wong experience. We just love the place and are headed there tonight.

Originally Posted by Madone59
Is that Courvoisier I see?? Fancy!! Maybe you judged UA a little soon SFO777 . Thanks for sharing - have a great trip.
Thank you Madone59. I was always an AA guy but DUI Dougie's decision to trash the formerly excellent AA domestic catering made me branch out and fly more UA and DL. Those recent UA improvements have been surprisingly good.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Nice report. I'll be stalking you (perhaps even looking down on you) from the "economy" (mauka) side of Kalakaua Ave. starting mańana.
Thanks Eastbay1K. Enjoy Honolulu.

Not to hijack SFO777's post (Ok, I guess I just did) This picture has white spots out the window. Those are not due to the camera, not on the window, but in or above the water below. Can someone please tell me what that is? I noticed this on my recent flight into Honolulu but haven't been able to find out what the heck it is. Now back to your regularly scheduled, award worthy, trip report!
Good question. As others have noted, I'm thinking wave. Thanks KenS.

It's sad, but after the rest of this post, it seems the only reasons to visit the Halekulani might be this cake (which is delicious) and Lewers Lounge (we love Maggie Herron).
Sad but true. Our first visit and I'm wondering how they got their lofty rating. The room floors are so dated. And no air conditioning or even air circulation in the room floor corridors.

Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Thanks for sharing, SFO777 - a real mix of nostalgia and envy! Having spent a week in Wailea and a few days in Kona, we had the last two nights of our honeymoon at Halekulani five years ago next month. Great to see some shots of the place again. I'd totally frogtten about the 70s bathrooms! Really enjoyed Room without a key and Orchid when we were there. Never made it to Alan Wong's but did enjoy a first trip to Nobu across the road from the hotel. Looks like you guys are having a wonderful trip.
Thank you gustavmahler and for your comments. We had a complete Alan Wong day yesterday, the Pineapple Room at Ala Moana for lunch and then another wonderful evening at his King Street restaurant.

Originally Posted by GreatBritishBAECOff
Ummmmm... Waves?.....
Originally Posted by LANDJ999
+1
Originally Posted by slippahs
Indeed.

Originally Posted by SYDSiderFlyer
Not to shabby for UA domestic flight. Hope you're having. A great time, just love Hawaii. Look forward to more as always
Thanks so much SYDSideFlyer.

Originally Posted by JamieABZ
Great report, thank you!
Getting me excited for my trip to Hawaii in December/January!
Great pics and yes, the food does look better than AA's.
Keep it up and enjoy.
Thank you JamieABZ. IMO, December/January is the perfect time to visit Hawaii. The summer here is too hot/humid for me although bearable when the trade winds blow like this week.

We are flying home this afternoon on AA via DFW. I flew the same flight last week and the food was not very good. From my post in the AA food thread...

HNL-DFW
AA 8
Ancient 767-300
5:40P-6:20A +1
July 23, 2015
"Dinner" and Continental Breakfast

AA catering garbage continues...
Mercifully I was on a discounted HNL-NAS ticket and didn't have to pay the ridiculous $1,500+ one way fare on this relic of a plane. Classy PDB glasses as always. At least there was PDB service.

Choice of mahi mahi and Thai Vegetable Curry. Seriously?? I kid you not. Seatmate ordered that one and it was basically a bowl of colored rice, with a few shreds of unknown veggies and essence of curry. Glad I didn't order that one.

And just in case you wanted more rice with your rice bowl. LOL. Spicy Ginger Salmon Tartar with sushi rice as opposed to jasmine rice in the curry rice bowl. And by all means, serve one fish that has to be flown to Hawaii. Not doubt a lot cheaper than local ahi. Had a very strange taste that even the spicy ginger couldn't kill.

Salad?? The wedge turned out to be a couple of strips of nutritious iceberg lettuce with beets and blue cheese. Close to tasteless and virtually inedible.

For my main, I opted for what I thought would be the lesser of the evils, herb crusted mahi mahi. Perhaps it might have been passable if it had not been overcooked by, I'm guessing, hours. Pathetically dry and tasteless. Not nearly enough sauce to save this sucker. The only saving grace on this meal was that catering has not yet eliminated the best part of Hawaii meals... Hawaiian King rolls. No doubt with only $1.9B in Q2 earnings, it's only a matter of time.

Choice of "Gourmet" Cheese Plate, LOL or Traditional Ice Cream sundae no doubt provided by the lowest bidder no name ice cream maker.

At T-60 continental breakfast and the scone was the best meal of this flight.

Originally Posted by Linda VH
Yes! Glad you're traveling again - living vicariously here!
Thanks very much LindaVH.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:04 am

Thanks SFO , we're on the same UAL flight next month and coming back on the red eye on a lie flat 757. Appreciate the report. If I did a report it would have umbrella drinks in every photo. Boring.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Hide those pistachios quick! Do you know how expensive those things are? You're going to give Dougie a heart attack.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
When I saw this TR in the forum, I figured it would include the dreadful pics you shared in the domestic meals thread on the AA forum! It's such a shame because Hawaii meals used to be good. I will admittedly say that I'm impressed with what you shared from UA, good to know. ^^

Looks like it's best to fill up in HNL before catching the flight and enjoy the booze onboard. Great TR, as always. Thanks for sharing!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LANDJ999
Thanks SFO , we're on the same UAL flight next month and coming back on the red eye on a lie flat 757. Appreciate the report. If I did a report it would have umbrella drinks in every photo. Boring.
Thank you LANDJ999. There's nothing wrong with drink umbrellas.

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Hide those pistachios quick! Do you know how expensive those things are? You're going to give Dougie a heart attack.
LOL. Yeah, I'm sure someone in catering has already been reprimanded.

Originally Posted by brewdog11
When I saw this TR in the forum, I figured it would include the dreadful pics you shared in the domestic meals thread on the AA forum! It's such a shame because Hawaii meals used to be good. I will admittedly say that I'm impressed with what you shared from UA, good to know. ^^ Looks like it's best to fill up in HNL before catching the flight and enjoy the booze onboard. Great TR, as always. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks brewdog11. Mrs. SFO and I are currently in the HNL AC (aka The Sakura Lounge) waiting to head off to our flight and another close encounter with USdbaAA catering.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Since my body was still on Mountain time, I was up at 3AM and headed to the Business Center to do some work.

Then back to Orchids this time for breakfast.

After breakfast, we tried to find some pool chaises in the shade. LOL to the supposed "no saving pool chairs for more than a few minutes" policy which was totally ignored. We finally decided on a secluded corner which turned out great as it was under palm trees for most of the morning.

Yummy late morning mai tai just before lunch.

We relaxed for another couple of hours...

Until the sun had finally shifted and we headed upstairs and finally for our late afternoon journey to Mililani. After an evening with our DIL's family, we returned back to the city but with a stop at Honolulu institution Bubbies, which supplies a number of Nobu restaurants (including Nobu 57th Street in New York) with their wonderful mochis.

Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Hope you enjoyed time with the family.

That is a lot of white tile in the bathroom and an exceptionally embarrassing meal on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.