Honolulu and the Halekulani via United and American First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honolulu and the Halekulani via United and American First Class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:49 pm

Nice TR.

I remember the halekulani from my honeymoon in 1999. I think they required a jacket for their fancy restaurant.

We stayed at the Kahala, but back then it was a Mandarin. Very nice hotel. Not sure how it is now however.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Coathanger
Love the North Shore of Oahu! Stayed at Turtle Bay some years ago, just after Forgetting Sarah Marshall came out, and it was a great setting but with unremarkable hardware. Waimea Bay, just west of Sunset Beach, was great for a day at the beach.
Thanks Coathanger and for the reminder about Sarah Marshall.

Originally Posted by Digital01
As always an excellent report! Look forward to the rest. United does look like it has been stepping up its game! Are you crediting the flights to LH? I've mostly been flying AA this year, but figure if I give United another go, that's probably what I would do.
Thank you Digital01. A definite improvement at UA. Yes, all my UA flights go to LH. DEN-HNL was an A fare so I earned 10K+ M&M status miles.

Originally Posted by henrus
I was there in December of last year and the food was great and its also good you enjoyed. It's interesting to note that the starter and dessert has not changed but the rest has.
Thanks henrus. I think they rotate a few dished. The lobster ravioli was the only one different from a year ago for me.

Originally Posted by 1P
OMG! Didn't realize that AA catering had sunk lower than UA (by a long way, it seems).
Not impressed by your first meal at Alan Wong, but the second one looked as if it redeemed it. I always swear by Roy's, especially in Hawai'i, though one or two of them can get a bit noisy. The only bad Roy's meal I ever had was in Woodland Hills. Avoid like the plague!
Other great Hawai'i restaurants include any of Eric Merriman's, though I don't think he has one on Oahu.
Thanks so much for the TR, SFO777
Thanks so much 1P. Ah yes, Merriman's. We used to go to Merriman's Waimea regularly when we lived on the Big Island. Another great restaurant.

Originally Posted by offerendum
You are always lucky
LOL. Isn't that the truth.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
The guy looks like a gymnast.
LOL
We also visited the Turtle Bay Hotel when we went in the late 1980s.
I loved Hawaii.
I would like to go to Lanai and the big island now.
Thanks for a nice report as usual.
Thank you Breteee.

Originally Posted by gaobest
Do Eric merriman's places include Merriman's in OGG in kaanapali part (N of Lahaina)? I've been to Merriman's and loved it. I've only been to OGG in recent years, and currently don't plan to go anywhere else in Hawaii as we only go once a year (if lucky) and stay at the same condo resort.
Still love that the DEN-OGG included such good catering - SFO/OGG just didn't have it when we last went in 2013; for our next trip we chose HA over Ual and the pricier vx
Thanks very much gaobest.

Originally Posted by warreng24
UA should have standardized these "domestic" birds to the 3-3-3 configuration.
I wonder what they'll do now, they're supposedly converting some of the IPTE 3-3-3 birds back to "domestic" service. It'll be a nightmare with 2-5-2 and 3-3-3 birds being substituted for each other willy-nilly.
Thanks warreng24. For couples the 2-5-2 in E+ would be a pretty decent ride to Hawaii. But being in the middle of 5 would be the pits.

Originally Posted by Philip92
Nice TR, my next trip will def. be to Hawaii
Thank you Philip92.

Originally Posted by pbartp
Nice trip report. I'm surprised that the AA service was so mediocre. I understand that they basically lose money on this route, but for branding consistency, I would think they would want to make their "premium" service decent.
Thanks pbartp. The problem with AA these days, or rather USdbaAA, is that service to/from Hawaii is unfortunately entirely consistent with service on rest of the domestic routes.

Originally Posted by farbster
Nice TR.
I remember the halekulani from my honeymoon in 1999. I think they required a jacket for their fancy restaurant.
We stayed at the Kahala, but back then it was a Mandarin. Very nice hotel. Not sure how it is now however.
Thank you farbster. The Kalaha was our other option. It's not a Mandarin but apparently still a very good hotel. It was just a little far away from the action for this trip.

For more pics and an HD version of this report, please visit SFO777.com.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Oh come now, SFO777. If you include the balcony and the view -- which I think is only fair -- your room seems affirmatively wonderful. Cocktail worthy, in fact.

Great report, as always, and someday soon I'll make it out to Hawaii myself. I'm not a fan of long domestic flights (I used to have to do JFK-ANC for business), but my wife wants to go . . . .
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That menu looks awesome. I've always done Merriman's or Roy's when in Hawaii but I'll have to try Alan Wong's next time if I'm on an island where he's got a place. The only question I have is am I reading that right and they charge 6 bucks for butter? Seems a little steep
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:43 am

Also I would recommend trying Mori Moto's (Iron Chef) Restaurant if your visiting honolulu

It was super cool as Obama was there on the same day as us

http://www.morimotowaikiki.com/
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
The only question I have is am I reading that right and they charge 6 bucks for butter? Seems a little steep
I think it comes with bread but I would suggest having the set menu and not eating lunch!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
SFO777 - Lovely report, as always! Being 19 year HI vacationers, we love the Haleku's - Orchid's, HWOAKey, Le Mer and at Alan Wong's - you can never go wrong. Sad about AA's service. Your observation about the dessert cart - spot on. AA used to serve the sundaes/cordials from a smaller cart with linens and silver service. "Let's just roll out the catering cart down the aisle" Disgusting. :-( We just got back from Kauai and flew HA A330 for the frist time. Recliners like UA, but the food and service were very good.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
An enjoyable read as ever, SFO777. AA's service is indeed dire. It's good to see UA are trying harder.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Unrelated and sticky nose question. Do you work full time?

I gotta get off the full time work schedule and relax more. I need more holidays.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
It has not been a Hilton for many years....there has recently been 45-million of renovations and a complete repositioning. The bones are old but it is modern and updated in every way of your experience you have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.