Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Christmas Lights in LHR & BUD via BA F, The May Fair Hotel and Four Seasons Budapest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas Lights in LHR & BUD via BA F, The May Fair Hotel and Four Seasons Budapest

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:36 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Genius1
Very nice report so far, with great pictures ^

Just a small correction, but the British Airways Lounge at IAD is no longer separated into First and Club sections (and is no longer branded as Galleries) - it's a combined F/J lounge, with separate Concorde Dining Room for First pax, and Pre-Flight Supper area for Club World pax.
Thanks, Genius1! Apologies for the confusion; by "F side," I simply meant the dining room. I can't keep all of these BA lounges straight
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Four Nights in London

Four Nights in London

While I was pretty terrible about taking photos of our time in London, I did capture a few of the highlights.

For the first day. we hired a guide, Jonnie, who was absolutely terrific (PM if you’d like his info). He took us around many of the “checklist” sights, as well as back streets and more hidden gems that we never would’ve stumbled on ourselves. It was a great intro to London.

The second day, we were on our own. We headed over to the Tower of London:

Touristy, but fun. The yeoman warder tour was great. These guys are former military folks who live in the Tower and are officially charged with protecting the crown jewels (though unofficially, they show off the Tower to tourists like us).

The Tower is also home to some of the biggest crows I’ve ever seen.

After the Tower, we wandered about, occasionally almost getting run over as in our jet-lagged state, we kept forgetting to look right before crossing the street. Apologies to all who nearly killed us.

The next day, we continued to check off the cliche boxes with afternoon tea at The Dorchester:

The elegance of the room was cut nicely by Zivile’s birthday balloon.

Thanks, Zivile

Tea started with sandwiches:

Followed by a small sweet, and then the star of the show: The Dorchester’s famous scones with strawberry and currant jams, clotted cream and pastries.

The scones were delicious.

And there was tea, not that anyone cares about that

That night, we took the tube out to Kew Gardens, which was beautifully lit up for Christmas at Kew:

A wonderful way to end our time in London.

Other (not pictured) food highlights of London that I’d highly recommend:
  • Pies at Newman Arms
  • Dinner at The Ledbury (one of the best meals I can remember)
  • Indian at Tayyab’s in the East End

Next up: The BA F Lounge in T3, LHR-BUD and the stunning Four Seasons Gresham Palace.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 5:11 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Am thoroughly enjoying your TR, food looked good in the IAD lounge, and so glad that you got a good nights sleep. The weather here in UK has been good, so it was nice you were able to enjoy some sunny days in the capital. Look forward to the next part of the TR^
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:55 am
Original Poster

LHR T3 BA Galleries First Lounge and BA Club Europe LHR-BUD

LHR T3 BA Galleries First Lounge

After an easy Tube ride to Heathrow, and a hike to T3, we wandered over to the Lounge area and found BAs. The lounge has a separate F area, accessible to those traveling in F (not me) and OneWorld Emerald Members (me, until February anyway). We took a left into the F section and entered the lounge.

This lounge is big, and it was nearly deserted when we were there.

We sat down in the dining room. You can order from a menu, but with only 25 minutes left till boarding, we opted to choose from the buffet.

The sandwiches were pretty good...

And the mushroom soup was actually delicious.

We loved this lounge, but I imagine it looks quite different at rush hour.

As soon as we finished lunch, we left and walked over to the gate to board our A320 to Budapest.

BA Club Europe LHR-BUD

Club Europe...luxury at its best

While theyre in no way, shape or form a business class product (as with other Euro carriers, theyre simply coach seats with a block off middle seat), the seats are pretty slick looking:

The 14 inches of plastic and pleather that differentiate coach seating from Club Europe:

I wasnt hungry, but my wife had the shrimp and sailfish salad, which she said was pretty good.

The FA pressed a bit, insisting that I should eat something, so I explained that I ate in the lounge before we boarded. He glanced back at my wifes salad...

Wise move, sir.

I liked him.

After a short and uneventful two-hour flight, we began our descent into Budapest. Immigration was a breeze, and we walked out to the FoTaxi booth and caught a ride into town.

Traffic was pretty heavy, but 40 minutes (and one very carsick wife) later, we pulled up to the beautiful Four Seasons...

Next Up: Four Seasons Gresham Palace and Five Nights In Amazing Budapest
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA5E
Am thoroughly enjoying your TR, food looked good in the IAD lounge, and so glad that you got a good nights sleep. The weather here in UK has been good, so it was nice you were able to enjoy some sunny days in the capital. Look forward to the next part of the TR^
Many thanks, BA5E! We got very lucky with weather in both London and Budapest.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
This "new" BA-Club Europe is really a shame! It seems to be even worse than the old product.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

The Four Seasons Gresham Palace, Budapest

The Four Seasons Gresham Palace, Budapest

My photos won’t do it justice, but man, this is one gorgeous hotel, inside and out.

Built in 1906 and originally an office building for an insurance company, this place has seen a lot of history. It was used as a red army barracks during WWII, and fell into total disrepair in the communist years that followed. After a long restoration, it reopened as the FS in 2004.

So many beautiful touches, large and small:

They had a Christmas market set up in the lobby:

Though unlike the Christmas markets that I’m used to, this one was selling furs, perfumes and high-end wines. No hot mulled wine, no sausage, no thank you

The room, a Danube River View Room, was also fantastic.

Big bathroom:

A delicious welcome gift:

But where the room really shines -- as its name suggests -- is the incredible view of the Danube River, Chain Bridge and Buda Castle.

Day or night, I never got tired of looking out that window:

We were pretty tired at this point, but I’d made reservations at Borkonyha Winekitchen before the trip and we’d been looking forward to it, so we trudged over for dinner. I’m so glad we did, as it turned out to be one of the best meals of our trip.

Everything we had at this place was delicious, and it’s such a cozy setting. In the end (while we had some great meals), it’s still the one restaurant that we visited in Budapest that I’d say is truly a must-try.

The next morning, we ordered breakfast to our room:

Every breakfast dish we tried during our stay was very well done, though the Hungarian scrambled eggs stood out:

After breakfast, we bundled up and set out for our first full day in Budapest...

Up Next: Five Days In Budapest
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels

That breakfast looks great. Looking at the photos, was this not the old Intercontinental hotel?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
This "new" BA-Club Europe is really a shame! It seems to be even worse than the old product.
Yep. My US Domestic F on United next week is going to have wider seats and more legroom. Sad.

Originally Posted by roadwarrier

That breakfast looks great. Looking at the photos, was this not the old Intercontinental hotel?
Thanks roadwarrior! It was indeed excellent. The Intercontinental is actually a block or so away. The Intercontinental, Sofitel and FS are all in the same immediate area.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by LM225
Yep. My US Domestic F on United next week is going to have wider seats and more legroom. Sad.
Of course! Even I - who really really hates Economy - only fly Business inside Europe if it is included on a Long haul trip.

I dont understand that their isn`t a market in Europe. I like to visit Teneriffa for example. My problem is the 4 hour flight in Economy....
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; Marriott Titanium
Great report London is also fun to go to. I have never been to Budapest, but looks like it is definitely somewhere to go.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great report, very interesting.

Of course! Even I - who really really hates Economy - only fly Business inside Europe if it is included on a Long haul trip.

I dont understand that their isn`t a market in Europe. I like to visit Teneriffa for example. My problem is the 4 hour flight in Economy....
Cost cutting. BA's point-to-point J demand in Europe is through the roof, stronger than it has been in nearly 8 years. But instead of taking the opportunity to invest in better products, the new idea is to cut the product and raise the price.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Thanks for sharing this! Still haven't had a chance to fly BA F. I am interested to see if the new Club World seats will make their way into the fleets in the next year...
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm really interested to see what you did in Budapest. I was there for a couple days in my recent whirlwind tour of Eastern Europe, and it was probably the favorite city I visited. Now the problem is I want to go back when its warm!! I detailed it all here, so I'm curious if we did any of the same things. I was going to have dinner at Borkonyah, but it was quite busy that night and I found a place just 1-2 blocks north of it that was incredibly tasty too. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...d-combo-y.html
Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:49 am
Original Poster

You could always route through Asia on a real airline

Originally Posted by hickmantitle
Great report London is also fun to go to. I have never been to Budapest, but looks like it is definitely somewhere to go.
Thanks, hickmantitle! It's definitely worth a visit, we loved it.

Originally Posted by Calchas
Great report, very interesting.
Thank you Calchas!

Originally Posted by TexasTea
Thanks for sharing this! Still haven't had a chance to fly BA F. I am interested to see if the new Club World seats will make their way into the fleets in the next year...
Thanks TexasTea! If the CW seats get a solid upgrade, I'm not sure the premium for BA F over CW would be worth it...

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I'm really interested to see what you did in Budapest. I was there for a couple days in my recent whirlwind tour of Eastern Europe, and it was probably the favorite city I visited. Now the problem is I want to go back when its warm!! I detailed it all here, so I'm curious if we did any of the same things. I was going to have dinner at Borkonyah, but it was quite busy that night and I found a place just 1-2 blocks north of it that was incredibly tasty too. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...d-combo-y.html
I loved your report, krazykanuck. It came at the perfect (worst?) time for me to completely check out of my work and daydream about our upcoming trip

We actually visited Cafe Kor as well! It was very good, and just like you found, incredibly good value. We loved the Terror museum too!

Will try to get the Budapest report up over the weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.