Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

From Sussex to Antarctica-a bucket list item ticked!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From Sussex to Antarctica-a bucket list item ticked!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
I'm about to go back to school, and when I graduate I'm going to treat myself to a trip to continent #7.
Your amazing TR has inspired me.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Aw, shucks,thanks Skyvanman.....(nice handle BTW, not too many Skyvans around these days!)
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:17 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat
Amazing trip report- thanks so much for sharing! This is on our bucket list too - maybe for my husband's 60th in 2020.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Chelsea- make sure you book well in advance- cruises fill up quickly, around 2 years ahead.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by no longer atc

An atmosphere of merriment pervades all when we climb back onboard to finish our turkey dinners, kept expertly warm by the kitchen staff, an the bar is busier than usual this evening- they kindly make me (far too many!) Espresso martinis with decaff, although after half a dozen I doubt the caffeine would have kept me awake anyway! We are last to leave the bar again...after a wonderful but exhausting day.
Wow these pictures are amazing!!! I wish I could have had the same experience being stuck in the ice like that - guess my trip to Antarctica was pretty boring haha

Last edited by Chris1984; Sep 14, 2015 at 2:37 pm
Old Sep 14, 2015, 2:38 pm

I have to go back there some other time again anyway and do a longer trip - once im rich haha
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:22 am

I don't think the French ship let's people off on the ice.

I know that the Bremen; the Happag Lloyd Line prides itself as saying their ships slice right through the ice.

That's why I am somewhat tempted to do the trip with them if I ever do it.

I love this picture. Must be a lot of fun.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Oh, thanks guys! I don't know if Ponant do this, but I suspect Fram of Hurtigruten would...glad you enjoyed x
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Damn, Was hoping for a Ponant review but the pictures will have to do.

Was there any thought or possibility of chartering a flight to catch the other cruise?

DId you arrange air through Ponant? If so, how competitive were prices?

Did they refund the cruise fare?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

travel agents has booked us on Silver seas at Ponant expense
Ponant are putting us up on our original ship,Le Soleal tonight,before boarding Silver Explorer tomorrow
sounded a little hectic, but good result from ponant and travel agent

ponant to silversea is an upgrade
Old Oct 1, 2019, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Damn, Was hoping for a Ponant review but the pictures will have to do.

Was there any thought or possibility of chartering a flight to catch the other cruise?

DId you arrange air through Ponant? If so, how competitive were prices?

Did they refund the cruise fare?
Sorry=only just seen this!
No, the Ponant cruise was cancelled completely. Most pax were sched to depart CDG, on a Ponant package,so Ponant contacted them before they departed CDG.If you mean chartering a flight to Punta Arenas, yes, we did consider that- better half is a commercial pilot so we looked at chartering an acft, but time was against us.. We had booked flights ourselves, (with AZ) as we thought we could get a better J class fare, and wanted to stay in EZE a few days first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.