Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

From Sussex to Antarctica-a bucket list item ticked!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.

First attempt at a trip report here,so go easy on me! Tomorrow,we'll be starting a trip that is one of my husbands bucket list items. We did one of mine for my 50th birthday earlier this year, with a trip to the Zulu battlefields at Isandlwana-so it's his turn now! We will be flying LGW-FCO in BA C class,then FCO-EZE in Alitalia Magnifica. Couple of nights in BUE Sheraton, before flying down to USH on Lan, then boarding Le Soleal of Ponant lines for a 10 day trip around Antarctica.
Today I need to finish packing,and ensure the kids are all sorted at home,hope you enjoy reading what's to come.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:16 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Oh wow, I'm excited to read this one. Enjoy, and please share lots of photos
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Thanks LM225, I will do my best,but I believe WiFi can be spotty onboard the ship. Last minute packing here-husband yet to start! It's a challenge though,because of the temperature difference between BUE and USH! Also last minute dramas with stroppy teenagers wanting to bunk off school,and the other quitting his job last night...Looks like our place is set to be party central while we are away-gulp! All checked in for BA and AZ, 2D and F on BA, 2D and H on AZ...being ex BA staff,it'll be interesting to see how AZ do it..now just keeping my fingers crossed that tomorrow mornings forecast fog for LGW doesn't disrupt things too much.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:51 am

Have a great trip. I hear it's amazing. Would love to hear about the service and food on the ship. I'm sure wifi will be awful and besides you should be enjoying your cruise and not worrying about uploading your pictures etc...
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:00 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by farbster
I'm sure wifi will be awful and besides you should be enjoying your cruise and not worrying about uploading your pictures etc...
Indeed. Do enjoy the cruise...I meant lots of photos when you get back
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Have a dance in EZE if you can.......

Great trip, and a better choice than Aerolineas Argentinas....
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Ha,you spoke too soon Skipcool! Found out today LAN have cans their flight,and can offer no alternative! Couldn't get them on the phone so had to shlep up to Aeroparque ticket desk,and ended up buying new tickets at vast expense on Aerolineas....
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

The disaster has happened.
Le Soleal has hit a submerged item,and our cruise was cancelled 3 hours after arriving in USH! Currently trying to figure out what to do,hotel cannot accommodate us after tonight, need to reach Alitalia to reschedule flights home. Just devastated.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by no longer atc
Le Soleal has hit a submerged item,and our cruise was cancelled 3 hours after arriving in USH! Currently trying to figure out what to do,hotel cannot accommodate us after tonight, need to reach Alitalia to reschedule flights home. Just devastated.
I'm so sorry to hear this, especially as you also had issues with the outbound flights. Hopefully travel insurance will help cover costs.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:55 pm

so sorry to hear. ugh.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Might yet be salvageable, travel agents has booked us on Silver seas at Ponant expense,but we have to get to Punts Arenas to join ship- that means only one thing....road trip!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Might yet be salvageable, travel agents has booked us on Silver seas at Ponant expense,but we have to get to Punts Arenas to join ship- that means only one thing....road trip!
Sorry to hear about the damage to the original ship. I hope the new cruise works out!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My goodness everything seems to be going wrong for you. Here's hoping you manage to salvage something out of it. Good luck.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
What an ordeal! I'm on the sister ship L'Astral to Antarctica next year. Hope it all works out in the end. Silverseas is a higher end cruise line so maybe this is the equivalent of a battlefield upgrade. Congrats!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Status update- couldn't do that road trip from USH to Punta Arenas as no one would rent us a car one way to Chile. Standing in the Aerolineas office in USH and our travel agents called with the offer of flights USH-EZE-SCL-PUQ,but we had to be at USH in 30mins! Mad dash back to hotel to collect bags,stopping to buy waterproof boots on the way,we both ended up with boots 3 sizes too big as that was all they had!
So we arrived back in EZE after a first trip on an A340, and today will be traveling EZE-SCL-PUQ.Exhausted just thinking about it- flights of almost 3000 miles just to travel less than 400! Better half even tried to rent an aircraft to fly ourselves up to PUQ,but that had to go in the "too difficult" box...
Hiddy- ever been to SCL? We. Only have 2 hours transfer there...baggage worries?
Stay tuned for further updates...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.