Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to Compare, EY F,J vs 9W J, JFK-AUH-JFK-AUH

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Time to Compare, EY F,J vs 9W J, JFK-AUH-JFK-AUH

These trip reports are of myself and family moving from Florida to the Middles East. After spending the last 5 years living there we wanted a new challenge in our life and wanted to make my life easier on the travelling.

This is my trip report of 4 journeys taken on Etihad and Jet Airways over the past month. (Please note- Etihad comped me some of these sectors, thanks a to small agreement with the airline)

Etihad Airways
EY100
JFK-AUH
2240-1945(+1)
777-300ER
Seat 2A

After arriving in earlier on a domestic flight with American I made my way over to Terminal 4 where Etihad depart from, after checking in what felt like the whole contents of my house, (6 suitcases, 3 boxes and my golf bag) I was left with paying the excess baggage charge. After some very generous bargaining with management, I finally was finally on my way through to the lounge.

The lounge at JFK is disappointing to say the least, a contract lounge that is certainly below the standards that you would expect from an airline that boasts the awards that it does. But the hour that I needed before my flight it was suitably fine, but certainly not the best lounge in the world.

At around 2130 I walked down to the gate which we were boarding from, at 2200 boarding was called, with First and Business and people requiring extra time to board.

I've flown with Etihad a number of times before on this route, and have had both good and bad experiences with the crew, which normally make the flight good or bad. On said occasion, I was literally told by the crew an the door where my seat was, and pointed down the left side of the aircraft in the direction of first class. Once at my seat it was clear that the crew were not as friendly that I had had in the past, I had to make the crew member aware that I was sat in my seat, and would appreciate a drink before departure.

10 minutes went by before the chef approached me to explain the menu, he was very kind and took a few minutes to ask about myself and where I was going. Of all the members of crew on this flight he was by far the best and most approachable and helping.

At 2250 the doors were closed with a light load in F and J, only 3 in F and 22 in J. Anya, the cabin manager, made her welcome to the cabin and said if there was anything she could do for me during the flight just to let her know and she would do her best, believe it or not but this was the last time I saw her until we were starting our descent into Abu Dhabi in 13 hours time.

After a rough take off and 30 minutes of turbulence, the captain finally turned off the seat belt sign, I headed towards the front to ask a member of the crew if they could make the bed up across the isle for me to go straight to sleep in, she said she would be a few minutes but would get it ready. So I changed and returned back to my seat waiting for her....... and waiting........ and waiting...... and waiting. Eventually she came to my seat and without and apology or nothing looked at me and said "why you want your bed making here, this is your seat here" I said that if i couldn't sleep I could return my chair and not have to take all the bedding off (I dont like sitting in the chair with all the bedding on) she looks puzzled for a moment and eventually said "this is the first time I have ever heard this" but without saying another work she made the bed up then disappeared.

I slept solid for 11 hour and woke up as we were coming over the Persian Gulf. After having something from the on demand menu I was sorted and ready for the rest of the day.

We touched down about 10 minutes ahead of schedule, Anya, cabin manager, made her way around the cabin thanking everyone for travelling Etihad and wished us a pleasant onward journey. We docked at the gate, there was a slight delay in opening the door due to an issue. Eventually we were told that we would have to de-board through the business door which made it a bit of a mess with the other passengers, but none the less it was fine.

My only gripe with AUH is the fast track security, the line was longer at the fast track than it was at normal security, I feel this to be pointless if its not going to work correctly.

I was curbside 20 minutes after getting off the plane and was in my limo to the hotel.

Overall- I was happy with the sleep that I got on the flight, one of my personal best achievements, I wasn't happy with the service on board, many of the crew were abrupt and short with people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.