Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend trip ABZ - FRA on LH

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Weekend trip ABZ - FRA on LH

Another European city ticked off the list. This time it was Frankfurt. I had fancied a weekend away somewhere mid-October and I had an Ambassador weekend voucher to use from IHG - stay one night get another night free over the weekend. I had thought about going to London but I've done that so many times before. I then saw that Frankfurt has an IC so plugged in dates to the internet site and settled on a Friday / Saturday night stay. I booked a suite - early birthday treat to myself.

So on the Friday morning, I threw a few things into a case and caught the bus to ABZ. It was a pretty dreich day in the city and the granite was looking especially grey. My phone told me that the weather would be relatively nice (albeit a bit cloudy) in Frankfurt over the weekend. The bus took around 30 mins to get to the airport and I got into the terminal. The security line was massive. Probably one of the longest lines I have seen at ABZ. This is when having no status with an airline really sucks. If I was flying BA, I'd fly though the fast track security lane and be in the haven of the lounge within 5 minutes. Different story today. Nearly. I remembered that you can purchase priority security online which I did in a matter of minutes. £3.50 later I was at the front of the security queue. Best £3.50 I spent all weekend!

I found a seat on the lower level beside the gates and got a pint (Tennents of course) from the bar. The flight then showed a 30 min delay which was fine but I wanted to get to Frankfurt rather than hang around an airport. The gate agents made a pre-board call (when there was no sign of the aircraft actually having landed) and then realised their mistake. Cue quite a few grumbles. I soon found out that the plane was playing loop the loop over the countryside around Aberdeen.

The gate agent then seemed to find this out. The plane had to circle because of particularly heavy helicopter traffic that day. It landed at 12.40 over an hour late. However, it didn't take long to clean the aircraft and refuel. I stayed back from the hoards of people until the end. I took my seat right at the back of the A319 and was surprised just how busy the flight was. I couldn't see a spare seat in sight. Lufty must have a good thing going with ABZ flights. It was the same on the return flight too - absolutely packed. Perhaps it was just the flights I chose - it would be interesting to see if the other flights during the week are as busy. We were soon on our way an hour and 10 mins behind schedule. The usual announcements were done in German and English.

The flight itself was fine. We were given the choice of a cheese sandwich or salami sandwich. I went with the former and also took a beer. I was pretty peckish so had devoured the sandwich without taking a pic......I'm sure you can use your imagination though!

The crew were nice enough. Anyone taking one look at the two ladies could tell they were German. Friendly duo. They offered more drinks when they were going around cleaning. I asked for another beer but they had run out. The older of the two profusely apologised and told me that she had a bottle of red wine opened and would be happy if I helped to finish it. Ha! So red wine poured to enjoy during the last 30 mins of the flight.

Before long, we were descending over the German countryside and landed in FRA just after 4pm. I hopped into a taxi and was at the IC shortly thereafter. The guy checking me in told me that they had upgraded me to a Panoramic View Suite and thanked me for my loyalty etc etc. I was on the 17th floor and the room had some great views over the Main River.

The welcome gifts were nice - some petits fours, bottle of red wine and a credit card holder.

I could use the Club Lounge on the 21st floor. It serves canapés from 5.30pm every day. I went up around 6pm and was surprised how small and how busy it was. I found a table though and grabbed a beer along with some seafood.

The lounge is actually a great place to watch the sunset. You can go outside to the balcony bit if you want to sit out.

I managed to grab one of the comfy sofas when some folk left so enjoyed sitting there, relaxing and drinking some fine German beer. I asked the concierge at the hotel for a recommendation for dinner. He gave me the name of a restaurant relatively close by so I headed there. He described it as a nice restaurant with good German food "where you know it is the mum doing the cooking in the kitchen".

I was stuffed after the meal and said no to several offers of dessert. I wandered around for a while and stopped off at a few bars along the way back to the hotel.

Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:55 am
Original Poster

I got a great sleep and woke up ready to see some of Frankfurt. I grabbed a quick breakfast in the Club Lounge and took my jacket from the room before going out. That was a mistake. The weather was great. Around 20 / 21 degrees Celcius - that's like the height of summer in Aberdeen. I could have easily worn shorts but (1) I didn't take any and (2) didn't want to scare the Germans away

I walked down the banks of the Main river which were packed with walkers and cyclists enjoying the great morning.

A few days prior to getting to Frankfurt, I had booked myself on a boat trip down the river. It was nice to get a different perspective of the city from the river.

The skies over Frankfurt were very busy. I actually didn't take any more photos on the boat. I think I was enjoying looking at the different buildings - commercial flashy ones and really downtrodden ones - that I forgot to snap some shots.

After getting off the boat, I took a walk around the city and first came across the European Central Bank.

The main square was hoaching with people later on in the day. Luckily, I managed to find a spot in one of the outside bars and grabbed a pint while enjoying one of my favourite pastimes - people watching. I always like just sitting down for a wee while and watching the world pass before your eyes.

I saw this in the street and wondered what kind of shop I was coming up to.....

Fear not - it was some clothes shop with a strange statue thing outside!

After walking for hours, I was shattered. I headed back to the hotel, rested my feet in the room for a while and nipped to the lounge for some liquid relief. Another nice sunset this evening.

I had decided that I wanted to get some nighttime shots of the city so took a walk down the river past Mankai to one of the bridges which gives a great view of the city skyline.

The city looked great at night. The photos there don't really do it justice. I don't profess to be one of these guys with a massive lens - I just point the iPhone and shoot!

After catching those shots, I headed through town again, stopped off at a few bars, got speaking to some nice locals (who were wanting to know as much as possible about the Indy Ref) and then headed back to the hotel. I sat in the bar for a while before calling it a night. All of the fresh air had done me good but had taken it out of me completely!

Last edited by stu1985; Oct 21, 2014 at 12:14 pm
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:56 am
Original Poster

On the Sunday morning, I took a walk into the centre after having breakfast in the hotel. The square outside the City Hall was much quieter than yesterday.

I decided to be lazy today so jumped on the open top bus for a whizz around the city!

That's a cool statue thing - the arm moves constantly. Fun to look at!

Central Station looked pretty impressive.

Getting up close to the massive buildings was great - they are so high!

I decided that I wanted to go up the Main Tower - 200m above ground with open 360 degree views over Frankfurt. It's centrally located and cost €6.90 to take the lift up the 200m or 54 floors to the top. Once you pop out of the lift, there are a few flights of stairs to climb before you come outside. The views are well worth it!

I was so glad that the fog which was hanging around first thing in the morning cleared!

I'm saying nothing re this next pic.....

I took a walk across the river and wandered around the streets of Sachsenhausen. It's a cute little part of Frankfurt. I found a place to have lunch there, too. Sampled the apple wine (tasted just like cider) and had a big Frankfurter!

After that excitement, it was time to wander back to the hotel to check out. The 4pm check out is a great perk!

The banks of the river were so busy with people. I couldn't get my head around the fact that it was mid-October and so warm.

After getting back to the hotel and checking out, I still had a few hours to kill so walked around and found a cute wee bar to have a beer in. Before long, it was time to head to the airport.

Nice old screens in FRA.

The flight was leaving from the Z gates. I found that area eventually and went to a bar where I had something to eat and a few pints. And then a few more when it turned out that the flight was delayed over an hour. Grr. Meant I missed the last bus from ABZ and had to wait in the massive taxi queue to get back!

There were some nice views of Frankfurt on the climb out.

Catering was the same as on the way out but I took a picture this time! I had the salami sandwich - it was actually very, very tasty!

Before long, the lights of Aberdeen city were coming into view.

I got the shock of my life stepping off the plane - it was flippin' freezing! Border control was relatively quick. I got a really nice guy who said "Welcome home, Mr stu1985" after checking my passport. Gave me a warm fuzzy feeling!

So that was that. I realise this was a relatively quick and dirty TR. I wasn't planning on doing one but I thought I may as well seeing as I enjoyed my time in Frankfurt. I think that it is always interesting seeing where other people go - you sometimes get some good ideas that way!

Last edited by stu1985; Oct 23, 2014 at 12:55 pm
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by stu1985

The schnitzel looks delicious ^
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:11 pm

That's herring on the other picture?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
The schnitzel looks delicious ^
It was amazing!

Originally Posted by HangukStyle
That's herring on the other picture?
Yes!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I looked at this to 'tick off' another destination as well a few month ago - it was £98 return when I looked. Is it still reasonable?
Yet again you make me feel so guilty about not doing reports - I had a great trip out BA to Vancouver, cruise to Los Angeles and home AF from there, but haven't had the time since I got home to get my head into a report. Well done loon.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamieABZ
I looked at this to 'tick off' another destination as well a few month ago - it was £98 return when I looked. Is it still reasonable?
Yet again you make me feel so guilty about not doing reports - I had a great trip out BA to Vancouver, cruise to Los Angeles and home AF from there, but haven't had the time since I got home to get my head into a report. Well done loon.
That's very cheap - I was £130. You should just book it. Oh, and get your finger out and write a TR!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: AC*A
Thanks for your TR! I love how LH manages to impress continuously, with rarely a bad report being posted.

-Orcair
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Can you remember the name of the restaurant...? Or did I miss it? I am off to Frankfurt on my next trip ! Looks good.
Thanks for posting. I wonder how many passengers were connecting?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Orcair
Thanks for your TR! I love how LH manages to impress continuously, with rarely a bad report being posted.

-Orcair

Thanks for reading Orcair!

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Can you remember the name of the restaurant...? Or did I miss it? I am off to Frankfurt on my next trip ! Looks good.
Thanks for posting. I wonder how many passengers were connecting?
Hey Skipcool3 - the restaurant was Zum Storch am Dom (http://www.zumstorch.de/engl.htm#) - the owner is a lovely guy. I would thoroughly recommend it.

I think there were a lot of connections. They actually read out the full list of passengers who had been rebooked before we even got to the gate at FRA and also gave out the gates for those who could still make their flights. I think I remember Marseille, Belgrade, Vienna, Cairo, Budapest and a few others.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: Various
I got a great sleep and woke up ready to see some of Frankfurt. I grabbed a quick breakfast in the Club Lounge and took my jacket from the room before going out. That was a mistake. The weather was great. Around 20 / 21 degrees Celcius - that's like the height of summer in Aberdeen. I could have easily worn shorts but (1) I didn't take any and (2) didn't want to scare the Germans away
Nice report!

Were you there last Saturday? I was there on that day and the weather was fantastic for October. Didn't quite expect that.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Thanks for the information, appreciated! I flew back to Aberdeen on Friday, good to have options other than London!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Nice report!

Were you there last Saturday? I was there on that day and the weather was fantastic for October. Didn't quite expect that.
Yes - it was this past weekend. It was great weather and the banks of the river were absolutely packed with people!

Thanks for the information, appreciated! I flew back to Aberdeen on Friday, good to have options other than London!
Think my next one will be somewhere in Norway.....
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:48 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I wonder how many passengers were connecting?
I think there were a lot of connections. They actually read out the full list of passengers who had been rebooked before we even got to the gate at FRA and also gave out the gates for those who could still make their flights. I think I remember Marseille, Belgrade, Vienna, Cairo, Budapest and a few others.
I believe more than 50% of Lufthansa passengers on flights from regional UK airports are connecting passengers. If there's a missed connection or change of gates they usually announce new flight numbers or new gates before arrival. Also if flights arrive at a remote stand, they often send mini-buses to take passengers with tight connections directly to their connecting flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.