Look inside America

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Look inside America

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
Conclusions

AZ flights

Magnifica class is a brilliant experience – pretty much everyone agrees it is among the best in Europe, but it’s ruined by a horrible soft product (call center, apps, etc. etc.).

The food and wines are great, and the FAs overall attentive – I could always see them walking in the cabin every 15-20 minutes all the time I’ve been awake.

Two things that could improve:

Plane cleanliness – everything wears out, and I do not expect a seat that has been used 5 years to be brand new. But come on, at least do some basic cleaning even in the most remote parts of the cabin. If I can spot the dirt, so can you.

FAs behavior with top tier flyers. This is a debatable point; I don’t fly to be welcome aboard by an obsequious attendant, or at least it’s not my top priority. But if I get on the plane and I see the FA welcome a CFP with all honors, and then the same FA comes to me and says ‘bella lμ mr. straniero’ even though I’m CFP as well, then I think that the level of service is not consistent and needs to improve. I may sound snobbish, and maybe I am. But this thing also has an effect on the company perception from the user base, which is what counts in the end.

DL flights

LAX-PHX and LAS-LAX were too short to have an idea. Regarding LAX-JFK, the cabin was clean; there was no service (except items on purchase) and I did not use the IFE. Overall a pleasant experience.

I think there is room for improvement in managing delays. When we were in LAS and the plane was delayed, there was no announcement with details. We were just told the plane was delayed and then for more than one hour there was no additional announcement. Knowing at least the expected delay could make the difference – for example I may walk around or even leave the airport for a while instead of standing in front of the gate waiting.

Hilton properties

The brands are easily recognizable – once you’ve seen a Hampton Inn, you’ve seen them all. Same applies for the Doubletrees. It is nice to see this kind of consistency. Also I love the Doubletree cookie!

I am not a lover of moquette, but the rooms generally feel very clean.

This trip got me 70% to Gold level – without counting any business trips I already had or will have during 2014.

US parks

All parks are clean, wonderfully well kept, well managed and advertised. It is fantastic to see such a level of service even in less known parks such as Kodachrome. The staff takes pride in their job and that is very noticeable. By contrast, Italy has beautiful landscapes, centuries of history, monuments and church and we leave it all decaying. If we had a better attitude and started spoil the tourists instead of trying to screw them for our own little personal gain, we could regain so many points as a country. Sorry for the generalization (not really), but the difference is huge.

And what about the miles?

I spent 70k to upgrade the return flight. We earned 60k total + 8k with ticket purchase (Amex AZ platinum). Par!

Well that’s it. Thanks for reading!

cheers
straniero
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Very nice report which brings back memories I would like to go back tomorrow
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Some lovely photos and a great TP. Do love some of the vistas and sand blasted rock formations / colours

Got a couple of trips out to California in March so may take in Yosemite etc (time and weather allowing).
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:01 am

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
What an awesome trip, thanks for sharing.

You were able to cover so much ground, with such a great attitude and a sense of adventure, and see a lot of the country that most Americans have never seen (myself included) Interesting to see the routes covered by alternative modes of transportation, like buses.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: AA Gold
Wonderful trip report. Sorry for the Coors Light. It's the worst American beer IMHO.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Great report, straniero! As much as I have traveled recently, I'm ashamed to say that I have not been to any of the places you visited, which happened to be in my country. I need to get a planning!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
Originally Posted by offerendum
Very nice report which brings back memories I would like to go back tomorrow
thanks!

Originally Posted by xenole
Some lovely photos and a great TP. Do love some of the vistas and sand blasted rock formations / colours

Got a couple of trips out to California in March so may take in Yosemite etc (time and weather allowing).
thanks! the weather in may was great, careful on the northernmost areas where it was freezing.

Originally Posted by socalterp
What an awesome trip, thanks for sharing.

You were able to cover so much ground, with such a great attitude and a sense of adventure, and see a lot of the country that most Americans have never seen (myself included) Interesting to see the routes covered by alternative modes of transportation, like buses.
thanks a lot, half of the fun was setting up the trip, too The gf has been looking at my back for around 2 months while I sat every evening in front of the PC to make it the way I wanted. I am used to tent and sleeping bag, but when one has so much to visit and so little time, things must not go wrong.

Originally Posted by Radiohead71
Wonderful trip report. Sorry for the Coors Light. It's the worst American beer IMHO.
Hahaha well there were nights were I was so tired I could have got an Italian peroni beer and still be happy

Originally Posted by dat4life
Great report, straniero! As much as I have traveled recently, I'm ashamed to say that I have not been to any of the places you visited, which happened to be in my country. I need to get a planning!
I think it's a common problem - I'm Italian and there are still regions in my country that I haven't visited.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Thanks for the great report. Definitely reminded me I need to see more of my own country (and your country too).
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Really great report, thank you for posting it, a road trip in America is a fantastic holiday and something I'd love to do again very soon.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: AC*A
Wow. The photos were amazing! Thanks for the immense effort put into your TR. I look forward to your 2015 RTW one!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:02 am
HMO

I enjoyed your report too! I'm not American either, and your tale remembered me my trip to Vegas and Grand Canyon 5 years ago. Thanks for refreshing my memories!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:24 am

Great trip report. I like that it covered both flights and the destination.

Rate three best parks in order please...
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Nice report. Great photos. Loved the nighttime ones of Las Vegas. Glad you enjoyed your visit to the western USA.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, IHG, SPG, CC
Great report! I thoroughly enjoyed every part.

You've inspired me to see more of my own country
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, HiltonH, AA Advantage
What great pics Straniero. We covered some of the places you visited in June but we stayed a few days each at Zion, going from LAS, Bryce, Kodachrome Valley, the North Rim and Grand Staircase (Wire Pass, Buckskin Gulch). We did manage to walk down North Kabab Trail from North Rim. Coming back up was a trek!

My pics aren't half as good as yours and I should have taken a haze filter and a telephoto. Our trip took 12 days and we will probably go back as Utah is awesome.

America has such a diverse geography, there's no need for Americans to go abroad!

Our National Park pass doesn't expire until June - so here's hoping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.