Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Taiwan! How to burn USDM on CX and JL (new) First Class

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Flyingfox,
With them, I thin kthe secret is to stick with the Chinese option - always a guarantee of great quality.
I've been flying with them since they had the green recliner seats in F. Before the blue lie-flat seats with the wood accent.
The food is not as good. They used to do a proper roast. They have too few choices.
Most Chinese food is just not good re-heated. The fish is okay, but the rest....
Old May 7, 2014, 5:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Flyingfox
I've been flying with them since they had the green recliner seats in F. Before the blue lie-flat seats with the wood accent.
The food is not as good. They used to do a proper roast. They have too few choices.
Most Chinese food is just not good re-heated. The fish is okay, but the rest....
I feel that's an overall trend in the airline industry though... And the ME3 carriers are not helping...
Old May 8, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Looking forward to the rest of the TR, I assume food photos will be coming as well :P !!
Old May 8, 2014, 3:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
Looking forward to the rest of the TR, I assume food photos will be coming as well :P !!
Pictures will come soon
Old May 9, 2014, 9:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

An oasis of luxury: Cathay Pacific The Wing First Class Lounge @ HKG

FULL BLOG POST LINK
I thought there was Lufthansas First Class Terminal and then the rest. Qantas First Class Lounge in Melbourne gave me hope. Cathay Pacifics The Wing First Class Lounge let me know that premium customers are well taken care of even outside of Frankfurt. I had high expectations for this lounge. All of them were met or exceeded.

After landing and promptly leaving the aircraft I made my way through transfers and headed to the Wing First Class Lounge, located near gate 4. When I came here in 2012 the lounge was under renovation, and I didnt get the chance to try it. So I was very excited to see what Cathay Pacific could do for its First Class customers.

Upon accessing the lounge I took a look around and I was immediately impressed by it. The white marble, the chairs, the layout everything is sexy about it! You cant avoid but feeling pampered the minute you step in and walk in front the champagne bar! Granted, Moet et Chandon is the only champagne on offer; but still, it makes very much VIP.

The two main areas of the lounge are spacious and feel somewhat private. Armchairs and sofas are of superior design and quality, adding to the style of the place. A full bar with bartender dots the first lounging area. After sitting down in the lounging area, an attendant promptly came by and asked if if I desired anything to drink. I ordered a cappuccino, which was promptly delivered on a small tray with sugar on the side. Details matter, and CX hardly disappoints.

The Haven is the sit down restaurant of the lounge. The concept is similar to Lufthansas First Class Terminal/lounge, where a mix of buffet and a-la-carte options are offered. As it was breakfast time, the a-la-carte menu focused mostly on egg dishes. As I was still very full I passed on that. The buffet, instead, had a full breakfast spread, on par with some top hotels. Freshly-made juices, pastries, breads, cold cuts, cheese, fruit, dim sum, stir fried noodles, congee there was a little bit of everything on top of traditional American items such as bacon and scrambled eggs. While I wasnt hungry at all, I ended up filling my plate and finishing it all! Thats how good the quality was.

Before going to the Haven I tried to get a cabana, but unfortunately they were both taken and I couldnt secure one not even during the coming hours. I then had to settle for a shower room which, to be fair, was absolutely first class.

My time at the Wing First Class lounge was very relaxing indeed, and gave me the time to recharge a bit before my last leg to Taipei. The lounge is luxurious, the service attentive, F&B first class. While I wish I had the opportunity to try one of the cabanas, I can't really complain, as my experience has been of the best I have had at any lounge thus far. Once again, well done, CX!
Old May 10, 2014, 12:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Like the rest, I sure hope to read the part on JL F. A comparison between CX F and JL F would be nice.

Having been on NH F and CX F, I think NH has better food and service but CX has better seats and amenities (IFE).
Old May 10, 2014, 12:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

HKG - TPE on Cathay Pacific First Class

About 45 minutes before departure I decided to leave the lounge to take a walk around the terminal. While it was animated, it wasnt certainly crowded. I always love walking around this part of the aiport its really like being at a very nice shopping mall with top-name brands, restaurants, cafes Even without lounge access, I could easily spend a couple of hours wandering around.

The flight boarded on time, and I joined the (long) business and first class line. A gate agent checked our passports while waiting in line to expedite boarding. Within minutes I was aboard my plane. I was greeted by the purser, who informed me that today I was the only passenger onboard in First Class! What a dream! A 747 First Class cabin on Cathay Pacific all to myself! This short flight was going to be a treat! 

The crew was very attentive, talkative and nice. I had two glasses of a champagne I couldnt understand the name of before push back, and even if I was full I was looking forward to having third breakfast on the plane.

The cabin on the 747 features CX old first class. Now that I was comparing it with the new first class I had just flown from SFO, I could clearly see the difference. This cabin looked aged, and the IFE old. The new cabin looks fresh, modern, cutting edge. Kudos to CX: they did a great job in updating the product in a seamless way!

Take off happened on time. Once airborne my order was taken, and within 5 minutes the food started coming. What a treat! A bread basket featuring a tasty, flaky croissant, a muffin, and a Danish was brought. Preserves and Tasmanian honey accompanied it. My orange juice arrived promptly, together with my tai-Guan-Yin tea (try this specialty tea, its amazing! Think Oolong, but a bit more flavorful). My fruit platter arrived first. I liked how the fruit is really fresh, as it different in variety from the one offered from SFO. Then, afterwards, the omelet was brought about. The eggs were fluffy, tasty. Overall, it was a great dish and a great breakfast.

While eating I entertained myself watching two episodes of the Big Bang Theory (so glad they have signed for three more seasons!), and in no time we were descending into Taipei. It was announced that as this flight would continue to Tokyo passengers could either wait on aboard or deplane for a few minutes.

Once landed, I was the first to get out of the plane and in minutes I was ready to start my Taiwanese adventure.

Overall, this short segment showed, once more, how efficient Cathay Pacific can be even on a two hours flight. Serving a full First Class breakfast in this short amount of time is no small feat, especially considering that I had plenty of time left to relax after finishing breakfast. Having a 747's First Class Cabin all to myself was, of course, something incredible that I hope to repeat in the future.
CX service is, simply put, phenomenal. The friendliness and attentiveness of the staff was beyond incredible. My purser set up the first class cabin in full swing, with the usual newspapers and magazines presentation, as if we were leaving for a 12 hour flight on a full cabin. I am really happy to have flown Cathay Pacific, and I look forward to flying it again in November when (if everything goes well) I will go to Sabah to climb Mt. Kinabalu.
Old May 11, 2014, 6:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quirrow
Like the rest, I sure hope to read the part on JL F. A comparison between CX F and JL F would be nice.

Having been on NH F and CX F, I think NH has better food and service but CX has better seats and amenities (IFE).
I will do my best to compare the two airlines. Overall, I agree with you on NH vs CX. The food and service I received on NH are to date unmatched!
Old May 17, 2014, 9:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Taipei - Part I

If you believe the UN, Taiwan is not a country. Only 22 sovereign countries recognize Taiwan as the real China and among them you have such heavyweights like Palau, or Swaziland. Still, the issue shouldnt be weather Taiwan is the real China or not. The question should be be: is Taiwan its own country? The fact that 71% of the local population sees itself as Taiwanese first, and Chinese second is pretty telling. But I felt like I needed to visit by myself to see how things really are in Taiwan. True, my visit would be short and somewhat superficial. But having study Chinese history extensively in college gave me a fairly solid ground where to start my observations from.

Taiwan is a lush island. Probably, thats the reason why the Portuguese called it Formosa beautiful, rich. The first striking feature you notice when landing? Its greenness. A dark, lush green that reminds you that yes, we are close to the tropics down here. Thats reflected in the many tree-lined boulevards of the city, and in the forested mountains around town, where hot springs and tea plantations offer plenty to do to local residents. One such example is Maokang; this area, easily reached by virtue of a gondola built nearby the Taipei zoo, is an oasis of tranquility, ideal to spend a couple of hours (or more) wandering around hiking trails in the forest, sipping Tai Guan-Yin tea at one of the many teahouses, enjoying an astonishing view over Taipei, and sampling the delicious street food offered here. Because Taipei, of course, is all about food.

If you havent ever seen it, I highly recommend you watch Anthony Bourdains No Reservations episode on Taipei. Usually, famous chefs agree on the top three cuisines in the World: Italian, Frech, and Chinese (order usually differs). One of the plagues afflicting Chinese food worldwide is, in my opinion, the number of bad and not authentic Chinese restaurants that immigrants open abroad, from Argentina to South Africa. Usually, that means that many people have no real idea of what Chinese cuisine is like; just like foreigners might think that Chicken Alfredo is an Italian dish, so they might believe that orange chicken is authentic Chinese food.

One of the things that Taipei does very well is putting authentic Chinese food in front of you at a very reasonable price. This happens in two places: shopping malls food courts; and night markets. Night markets were the main reason why I decided to come to Taipei.

There are many night markets in the city, but probably the most famous one is Shilin. Night markets can be indoor or outdoor or both. They usually consist of a a stretch of streets and alleys that come to life after dark, when stalls and shops open up selling literally everything from meat dishes to desserts, from clothing to electronics. People swarm this place from early evening until late night, eating their way around local favorites such as fried chicken, sausages on stick, shaved ice, boba tea, rotee, buns, deep fried squid and stinky tofu the quintessential Taiwanese food. This fermented tofu comes in various degree of stench (you can smell the stinkier ones from one or two blocks away), and I only dared to try a mild version of it which was, in all honesty, pretty good.

Stinky tofu

The other major food attraction in Taipei is a little restaurant that grew up to become a powerhouse: Ding Tai Fung. This Michelin-starred eatery (with now several locations across Taiwan and North America) is famous for its xiaolongbao or soup dumplings. These delicious, masterfully made pockets of deliciousness are something absolutely not to miss while in Taipei!

Beef nooodle soup

But Taiwan is also a land of political and historical struggle; torn as it is between its Chinese and independent identity, Taipei puts on display its heritage and its dilemmas on a very grand scale. Take Chiang Kai Shek for instance. This divisive figure of Taiwanese and Chinese history was at once a hero and a foe. His mismanagement of the political situation in China led to a phenomenal defeat against the Communist Party led by Mao; a strategic retreat to Taiwan led to the creation of the Republic of China which, thanks to the aid and protection of the United States, became one of the successful Asian tigers. At the same time, Chiang Kai Shek abolished all political freedom in name of self-defense against Communist China, and it was not until after his death that Taiwan became a fully-fledged democracy. The Chiang Kai Shekh Memorial is as grand as informative. The change of guard is spectacular for the synchronized movements, and the exhibits are good to understand more about the life and deeds of this important character and of his charismatic wife.

The there is another important character of Chinese contemporary history Sun Yat-Sen who instead is a less divisive figure, one upon which most Chinese people could agree on. His mausoleum is less impressive than Chiang Kai-Sheks, but having the Taipei 101 building as a backdrop makes for some dramatic views from the memorials courtyards.

Taipei 101 was, for a couple of years, the tallest building in the World. Shaped like a pile of bamboo boxes, the building looks more impressive in real life than it does in pictures. it is a striking skyscraper, as it is by far the tallest building in a city that doesnt have too many very tall towers. Inside, the bottom five floors house a luxurious mall with one of the best food courts in the country. The modern side of Taipei is epitomized by it, and the whole business district is a clean, perfectly-laid out grid of shiny high-rises that speak a great lenght of the economic success achieved by this land in the past 60 years, against all odds.

I wish I had more time in Taipei. Two days were certainly enough to get a feeling of the city, but I feel that another couple of days would have allowed me to explore the areas surrounding town, including the thermal town of Beitou and the scenic Jiufei area. But I am glad I came regardless of time. All this flying was rewarded by a city that looks at Japan but is very much rooted into its Chinese past; a plce were food is king, and nature is lush and ever-present.

Old May 17, 2014, 11:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Just some minor corrections here, Dr. Sun Yat Sen's mausoleum is actually in Nanjing, China, which was the capital of the China under Nationalist rule, and he is also supposedly the mentor of Chiang Kai-shek.

As for Taiwanese cuisine, I think they are part of Chinese cuisine but can hardly be representative of Chinese cuisine as a whole. It is most similar to Fujian cuisine just like Taiwanese language is similar to Fujian dialect. My understanding is that China as a country has many distinct regions with their own cuisines, dialect and customs. Some even have their own language and accents until the Communist rule standardized the language to common Mandarin with simplified characters.

Another interesting fact is that Taiwan's most famous restaurant 'Din Tai Fung' actually serves Shanghai-style cuisine.
Old May 18, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
As a person of Taiwanese descent myself, great to see someone with extensive knowledge of the real backstory on the China/Taiwan relationship.

If you get a chance to come back, try to get out of Taipei and down south to places like Hualien or Tainan. I think you can get a much better feel for the "real" Taiwan.
Old May 18, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club
I really appreciate your genuine trip report on everything about Taiwan. Certainly it's not China. There is no argument about the tradition, after Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch, Japanese, and infamous Kmt colonial age, Taiwan has transformed into one of kind in The Far East.

There is no doubt that Din Tai Fung is one of my favorites, and it definitely represents modern Taiwanese cuisines, simply tasty.

Btw, mandarin became official language in 1911 when ROC was established, it's not by the communist.

Last edited by mitchchenster; May 18, 2014 at 9:16 am
Old May 18, 2014, 6:57 pm

Thanks for a wonderful trip report! I love Taipei, which is definitely one of my favorite cities in the world.

Thanks for sharing the pictures about CX's new first class meal service. Well the change is really minor, but I am disappointed that there is no alternative to the caviar appetizer. The new condiments are nice, but in the end, the salmon is definitely being cut for economical reasons, rather than people's preference. Anyway, flying 747 first class is always a cool thing. I will miss the Queen of the Sky!

Look forward to the rest of the trip report!

Carfield
Old May 18, 2014, 8:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quirrow
Just some minor corrections here, Dr. Sun Yat Sen's mausoleum is actually in Nanjing, China, which was the capital of the China under Nationalist rule, and he is also supposedly the mentor of Chiang Kai-shek.

As for Taiwanese cuisine, I think they are part of Chinese cuisine but can hardly be representative of Chinese cuisine as a whole. It is most similar to Fujian cuisine just like Taiwanese language is similar to Fujian dialect. My understanding is that China as a country has many distinct regions with their own cuisines, dialect and customs. Some even have their own language and accents until the Communist rule standardized the language to common Mandarin with simplified characters.

Another interesting fact is that Taiwan's most famous restaurant 'Din Tai Fung' actually serves Shanghai-style cuisine.
Thanks for the correction, quirrow. I meant to say Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall
Old May 26, 2014, 5:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Taipei - Part II

One of the crown jewels of Taiwan is the National Palace Museum, probably the most splendid repository of Chinese art in the World. When the Kuomintang fled the Mainland after losing the civil war against Maos forces, they deliberately sacked some of the most important palaces and museums in China and broug ht the artifacts to Taipei. A despicable act (probably); but those actions resulted in the creation of what is absolutely a World Class Museum.

The Museum is located in Shilin, but it takes a bit to get there. A subway+bus transfer is needed, but its not very difficult given the good number of people going in the same direction.

The Museum is nestled on a lush part of Taipei. Green, forested hills are everywhere, and here the city looks like an intruder in natures kingdom. A sight to behold.

The museum itself is truly remarkable. Tour groups aside (try to avoid weekends!), it was a very enjoyable visit; the modern interior of the building guides you to the top floor, where the visit starts from. Iron age bronzes, ceramics, porcelains, calligraphy, sculpture, history everything you need to know about Chinese history is well-covered here!

Got enough art for the day? What about some food at Din Tai Fung, to sample some of the best xiaolongbao out there? You cant really go wrong with that! And what about some pastries from one of the ubiquitous bakeries that China is so famous for?

The its time to immerse yourself in Taipeis nature in Maokang. This beloved area just outside the city is an easy gondola ride away, and it gives respite from the hustle and bustle of the city to locals and foreigners alike looking for an easy way to experience Taiwans stunning nature.

The area is dotted by temples and tea plantations, tea houses and street stalls. The temperature is definitely cooler than the citys, and walking around the various trails is simply pleasurable. If you have time and if youd like to see more of Taiwans natural environment without leaving Taipei, consider coming to Maokang.

I liked Taiwan. A lot. 48 hours were enough to get infatuated with this city. I will be back. I know it. The food, the people, the nature I will miss it all. Zaijian, Taibei!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.