FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - To Taiwan! How to burn USDM on CX and JL (new) First Class
Old May 9, 2014, 9:01 am
oneworld82
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
An oasis of luxury: Cathay Pacific The Wing First Class Lounge @ HKG

FULL BLOG POST LINK
I thought there was Lufthansa’s First Class Terminal… and then the rest. Qantas First Class Lounge in Melbourne gave me hope. Cathay Pacific’s The Wing First Class Lounge let me know that premium customers are well taken care of even outside of Frankfurt. I had high expectations for this lounge. All of them were met or exceeded.

After landing and promptly leaving the aircraft I made my way through transfers and headed to the Wing First Class Lounge, located near gate 4. When I came here in 2012 the lounge was under renovation, and I didn’t get the chance to try it. So I was very excited to see what Cathay Pacific could do for its First Class customers.

Upon accessing the lounge I took a look around and I was immediately impressed by it. The white marble, the chairs, the layout… everything is sexy about it! You can’t avoid but feeling pampered the minute you step in… and walk in front the champagne bar! Granted, Moet et Chandon is the only champagne on offer; but still, it makes very much VIP.

The two main areas of the lounge are spacious and feel somewhat private. Armchairs and sofas are of superior design and quality, adding to the style of the place. A full bar with bartender dots the first lounging area. After sitting down in the lounging area, an attendant promptly came by and asked if if I desired anything to drink. I ordered a cappuccino, which was promptly delivered on a small tray with sugar on the side. Details matter, and CX hardly disappoints.

The Haven is the sit down restaurant of the lounge. The concept is similar to Lufthansa’s First Class Terminal/lounge, where a mix of buffet and a-la-carte options are offered. As it was breakfast time, the a-la-carte menu focused mostly on egg dishes. As I was still very full I passed on that. The buffet, instead, had a full breakfast spread, on par with some top hotels. Freshly-made juices, pastries, breads, cold cuts, cheese, fruit, dim sum, stir fried noodles, congee… there was a little bit of everything on top of traditional American items such as bacon and scrambled eggs. While I wasn’t hungry at all, I ended up filling my plate and finishing it all…! That’s how good the quality was.

Before going to the Haven I tried to get a cabana, but unfortunately they were both taken and I couldn’t secure one not even during the coming hours. I then had to settle for a shower room which, to be fair, was absolutely first class.

My time at the Wing First Class lounge was very relaxing indeed, and gave me the time to recharge a bit before my last leg to Taipei. The lounge is luxurious, the service attentive, F&B first class. While I wish I had the opportunity to try one of the cabanas, I can't really complain, as my experience has been of the best I have had at any lounge thus far. Once again, well done, CX!