Wiki Posts
Search

A Trip To Iran

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2014, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
Thanks to the OP for sharing. ^

Important to break the western propaganda set.

Iran is one of my favourite travel countries.
Thank you, LuxuryRogue. Yes, always great to see the non-CNN version of countries.

Originally Posted by Askartus
Ever since a good friend of mine, who is born and raised in Karadsch / Karaj showed me pictures of his home town, Iran is on my toDo-List. And with all those reports from people, who have been there, the urge to get there still grows.
Thank you, Askartus. Yes, you definitely need to add Persia to your bucket list.

Originally Posted by HighlandExpress
Great TR and photos as usual, always nice to see somewhere different.
Thanks, HighlandExpress. I always love to 'stretch' my mind with experiences in new and interesting places.

Originally Posted by shogunate03
Love your photos and TR - another stunning piece of work! The expression of the people truly brings this to life.

Did you have any issues or trouble when photographing people, especially non-posing street photography? Wasn't sure if they (particularly the women that are fully covered) are sensitive about that.
Many thanks, shogunate03. No, no issues whatsoever with photo's. For the close up portraits (in the bazaar etc.) I introduced myself and asked if I could take their picture. For the photo's on the streets I tried to be a bit more discrete (as much as you can anyway with a DSLR), but people just smiled when they saw me.

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
I'm always intrigued about countries that aren't normally visited...thank you for this and as a pseudo photographer myself these pictures are stunning.
Thank you, macdonaldj2. Definitely one of those places where it is easy to take great photo's.

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Wonderful TR thanks
Thanks, JohnnyColombia.

Originally Posted by exilencfc
Fascinating TR, were there a lot of western tourists around?
Cheers, exilencfc. There were a few europeans (Italians, Germans and a few Brits) and some Chinese and Japanese. Probably about 90% of the people at the popular sights like Persopolis etc. were Iranians though.
Old May 3, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Exp, HH Diamond
Great TR and amazing pictures.
Old May 3, 2014, 10:06 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Can I ask what nationality/citizenship you are to get visa on arrival?

I'd love to do Iran but when I checked it seemed like a PITA to get the visa
Old May 3, 2014, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Great photos. Thanks for the report. No trouble getting the visa?
Thanks, jphripjah. My tour agency organised pre-approval for the visa on arrival, but I could have just applied for it directly at the airport if I wanted to. Had to wait ~30 mins when I got to Shiraz, but no problems at all.

Originally Posted by mjr1975
Great TR and amazing pictures.
Cheers, mjr1975.

Can I ask what nationality/citizenship you are to get visa on arrival?

I'd love to do Iran but when I checked it seemed like a PITA to get the visa
I used my New Zealand passport. Apparently most nationalities can apply for a visa on arrival now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Iran
Old May 3, 2014, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by DanielW

I used my New Zealand passport. Apparently most nationalities can apply for a visa on arrival now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Iran
Thanks for the link. I have a UK passport which is not only exempt from visa on arrival but also the most expensive too. I wonder what the history is behind this. And I wonder why Colombia is also singled out too in S America.
Old May 3, 2014, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the link. I have a UK passport which is not only exempt from visa on arrival but also the most expensive too. I wonder what the history is behind this. And I wonder why Colombia is also singled out too in S America.
UK passport holders have to take a tour too like US citizens (no independent travel), not that it made a difference in my case (although I left my UK passport at home).

This might offer some clues with regard to Colombia being singled out(?).

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomac...emium-1.530088
Old May 3, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the link. I have a UK passport which is not only exempt from visa on arrival but also the most expensive too. I wonder what the history is behind this.
Do you read the news at all?

The UK expelled the entire Iranian diplomatic staff from London in 2011 in protest to the UK embassy in Tehran being insufficiently defended from violent protesters. The UK and Tehran only re-established diplomatic relations in February, although negotiations to enable embassies to re-open are still on-going.

Last edited by Calchas; May 3, 2014 at 11:49 am
Old May 3, 2014, 2:39 pm

On my mobile so apologies for the brevity. Thanks for the links and no, I had absolutely no idea about the diplomatic wrangling between uk and iran.

If there is no uk mission, how do you even get the visa? Is another country's consulate processing them?
Old May 3, 2014, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On my mobile so apologies for the brevity. Thanks for the links and no, I had absolutely no idea about the diplomatic wrangling between uk and iran.

If there is no uk mission, how do you even get the visa? Is another country's consulate processing them?
The Omanis are or were representing Iranian interests in London, so I suppose you could start there. Alternatively there is an Iranian embassy in Brussels. I suspect there might be one nearer to BOG which may be better for you though?

Last edited by Calchas; May 3, 2014 at 3:59 pm
Old May 3, 2014, 4:40 pm

Very cool trip report! Wanted to go there for a short trip, until I saw that the beer in Iran is 'non-alcoholic'
Old May 3, 2014, 5:46 pm

How was it to run? Traffic?
Old May 3, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: US CP, UA 1K, TAM VERMELHO
Amazing TR! The awesome photos made me want to go to Iran, a place that was not high in my go-to-places list!

Congrats!
Old May 3, 2014, 8:23 pm

Fantastic trip report (thought I posted that after reading it but realized I had not!) - amazing photos. Thanks for taking the time. Enjoy the destination you head to.
Old May 4, 2014, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HangukStyle
Very cool trip report! Wanted to go there for a short trip, until I saw that the beer in Iran is 'non-alcoholic'
Thank you, HangukStyle. Apparently alcohol is still around if you know where to look.

Originally Posted by CHSDOC
How was it to run? Traffic?
The run was great, especially in Isfahan on the tree-lined streets. I had to wear trackpants & polo shirt (I normally run in shorts & singlet) though.

Traffic was fine, pretty crazy and chaotic in Tehran though!

Originally Posted by FlyingGnu
Amazing TR! The awesome photos made me want to go to Iran, a place that was not high in my go-to-places list!

Congrats!
Cheers, FlyingGnu. Yes, I definitely recommend adding it to your list.

Originally Posted by bowdenj
Fantastic trip report (thought I posted that after reading it but realized I had not!) - amazing photos. Thanks for taking the time. Enjoy the destination you head to.
Thanks, bowdenj. Just sussing out my next trip now, North Africa.
Old May 4, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for posting, food looks delicious....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.