Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Five Days In Japan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bluegreentravel
Very nice pictures - thanks! Also, I've always wanted to try one of the capsule hotels...

(PS, you might want to blur out your name/passport - for your own privacy...)
Thanks, bluegreentravel. Yes, the capsule hotel was quite the experience, not bad for $26 a night in Shinjuku too.

I've censored out my signature & DOB. My name is on my website (dsw-photo.com) so figured it is too late to be anonymous.

Originally Posted by travelgirl88
Loved the report and your photos are amazing!

I'm possibly looking at going to Japan this summer, did you find it expensive to eat out and was it easy to navigate on the subway?
Thank you, travelgirl88. The depreciation of the yen makes everything 20-25% cheaper than it was a year or two ago. Eating out was quite reasonable, plenty of cheap restaurants where you can eat for 600-800 yen. The sushi I got at Tsukiji was my most expensive meal at 3500 yen. I didn't visit any 'higher-end' restaurants though.

The subway wasn't too hard to navigate. I only had a little trouble sussing out the different JR lines and the subway system though, but nothing too difficult. E.g. you can get from Shinjuku to Shibuya on either the JR lines, or on the subway, but I never figured out what was best/easiest.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
Amazing trip report! I'm going to Japan for the first time in a month and I'm really excited. I think I'll take advantage of this trip for some tips, thanks for sharing!
You'll have a great time, I've been to quite a few Asian countries, but Japan is truly unique. Very friendly and polite people and so much to see and take in.

Originally Posted by YYZC2
Japan is an incredible country... you will love it! The FT Japan forum is a great resource for trip planning.
Yes, a good source of advice & info. I spent quite a bit of time planning my trip to fit in as much as possible in the short time, and think it really helped.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Fantastic TR, and amazing photos ^ Thank you for sharing!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:14 pm

Your TR brings back fond memories of our own vacations to Tokyo. It has been a couple of years since we've been there and I'm hoping to get back again soon.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:11 pm

Great photos and an excellent report. It definitely makes me want to visit some day!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: Alaska & Hyatt
Great report!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:51 pm

Great pictures! The weather this weekend was wonderful, I even managed to arrive after the rain ended on Friday. I spent a few days in Narita and never actually made it to Tokyo. Sometimes quiet is nice.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:28 pm

Brilliant photography!! I'm sure you have much better equipment, but my respectable compact megazoom bit the dust on my flight over to Japan in January. Boy was I pissed. Seeing your pictures makes up for my loss of them.. thank you!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: FT
Too funny. The very first hotel I stayed at in Tokyo was at the suidobashi grand. It was back when I was a wee lad and met Frederick Fennell with our current band director. In fact, this was during his tenure as the initial director of the Tokyo wind ensemble.

Nice TR. many places I have enjoyed. I have 14 days in Japan in June. My 4th trip back since may 07.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:28 pm

Loved the TR. All your TRs are awesome. Thank you Daniel
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Very nice report.

I'll be in Hong Kong for the first time in August, 2.5 days. I hope I can hang like you did here!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:54 pm
brg

we are going in June and really appreciate the info
Great pictures
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
Fantastic TR, and amazing photos ^ Thank you for sharing!
Thank you, Madone59. I have always wanted to visit Japan, and when planning my annual trip back to NZ, tried to sus out some options via Japan. The best way was with Emirates/JetStar. The cost via the Emirates website was ~$US6000, but when I booked the same flights through Kayak.com, it was a more reasonable ~$US1800.

Originally Posted by El Cochinito
Your TR brings back fond memories of our own vacations to Tokyo. It has been a couple of years since we've been there and I'm hoping to get back again soon.
Cheers, El Cochinito. I would really love to go back some time and see abit more too.

Originally Posted by dakid23
Great report!
Thanks, dakid23.

Originally Posted by Cohall
Great photos and an excellent report. It definitely makes me want to visit some day!
Thanks, Cohall. Yes, definitely one of those rare places where everything is easy, convenient, but with still a decent dose of culture/new experiences.

Originally Posted by Feorlen
Great pictures! The weather this weekend was wonderful, I even managed to arrive after the rain ended on Friday. I spent a few days in Narita and never actually made it to Tokyo. Sometimes quiet is nice.
Cheers, Feorlen. Narita sounds like a cool town to explore, on my list for next time.

Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
Brilliant photography!! I'm sure you have much better equipment, but my respectable compact megazoom bit the dust on my flight over to Japan in January. Boy was I pissed. Seeing your pictures makes up for my loss of them.. thank you!
Cheers, jpetekYXMD80. Yes, an easy place to taek great photo's. You should have gone to Akhihabara and picked up a new one.

Originally Posted by mkjr
Too funny. The very first hotel I stayed at in Tokyo was at the suidobashi grand. It was back when I was a wee lad and met Frederick Fennell with our current band director. In fact, this was during his tenure as the initial director of the Tokyo wind ensemble.

Nice TR. many places I have enjoyed. I have 14 days in Japan in June. My 4th trip back since may 07.
Thanks, mkjr. Yes, the hotel was a great place to stay. Nothing flash, but very clean, cheap, a decent breakfast buffet, and three subway/JR stations within walking distance.

One thing that intrigued me though was the housekeeping. They changed everyone's bedsheets with clean ones each day. Is this a Japan thing? It was definitely a business/family establishment and not a love hotel anyway!

14 days will be a great amount of time to see the country too.

Originally Posted by DL17
Loved the TR. All your TRs are awesome. Thank you Daniel
Thank you, DL17. Hopefully a few more TR's in the next few months.

Originally Posted by brg
we are going in June and really appreciate the info
Great pictures
Cheers, brg. I used the Lonelyplanet 'Tokyo' guide to help plan and guide me around, was a real great resource of info.

Originally Posted by Gamecock
Very nice report.

I'll be in Hong Kong for the first time in August, 2.5 days. I hope I can hang like you did here!
Thanks, Gamecock. Hong Kong looks like a cool place to explore. I haven't been yet though, apart from the airport.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Your trip report is exactly what I was in the mood for tonight. Inspirational and poetic. Your pictures do most of the talking along with the to the point captions. I enjoyed all of it and look forward to more and using it as a reference for future trip to Japan. Would you say it is worth buying electronics (minus the plug/hydro) there?

cheers
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, TK Elite, A3 Gold
Great TR as usual DanielW! Been a fan of all of your past reports, especially the amazing photos, so always glad to see another report. As others have said, this is a bit of a "tamer" locale compared to the other reports.

I've been to Japan many times and always enjoy going back - love the range of foods as well, going from expensive but high quality sushi to inexpensive but still very good ramen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.