Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Transcon Pillow and Blanket

Pre-Departure Beverage

Door closed at 7:04, back was around 70 percent, first class was full but the last 2 pax were both from LBFU “Load Based Factor Upgrade”, pretty much unheard of for SEA – JFK, as it isn’t an easy route to clear on a normal day.

Took off shortly after 7:20am on Runway 16L then a turn towards the East
4 Hours 43 Minutes on this Fourth of July transcon

*2nd pic is a line of the Cascades, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Adams and Mt. Hood in the distance

AA 268 Breakfast

Starter
Fresh Fruit Plate

Main Course
Breakfast Quesadilla
With Eggs, Peppers and Pepper Jack Cheese served with Queso Blanco, Black Bean, and Corn salad and Salsa verde

Cereal and Yogurt
With a banana and seasonal berries

Served with a Selection of breakfast breads

It’s a holiday, so drinks on

Bread Basket

*Bagels were a hot item this morning

Main Course, Breakfast Quesadilla

After the meal some much needed snooze, have to stop pushing so hard on these trips

And prior to landing, the FA came around with refreshment and a snack basket.

AA 268 Light Refreshment
Gourmet Cheese Plate
An assortment of fine cheeses with garnishes

Cookies
Freshly baked on board (Chocolate Chip and Double Chocolate Chip)

Not the best thing for my health, chips and cookies

And around 2:35pm, we started our descent into JFK and landed at 3:02pm on Runway 22L, with a 15 minutes long taxi over to Terminal 8.
Right on time in New York City for a Fourth of July celebration and finally parked over at Gate 44

That tail is just screaming USA USA USA!!!

Back in the Big Apple

Hmm, the new American isn’t up on the wall yet

With bag wait and taxi ride, it was just around 4:30pm when we were back at the jfkeze hostel.

And how depressing did our night went, all 3 of us were so tired from our crazy trip thus fare that we completely passed out at jfkeze hostel past 8:30pm, even youth adrenaline can only do so much and our plans of seeing the fireworks on the Hudson were dashed, just like that.

And with a quick dinner around the neighborhood, I prepare for yet another early departure, 8am flight except it’s out of Newark and I’m staying at a place in Queens…

And btw jfkeze, what in god’s name is this ad near your place???

*Ads to bag a condom?

Next Part
Part 33 – A Duo of Air Canada flights, EWR-YYC-YOW-YYZ
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Greetings from JFKEZE hostel!
That sign belongs to a Condominium building and it's been broken for at least 5 years.... So it spells condomi hehe
God, the 4th was kinda sad and you missed the post Burma picnic!
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jfkeze
Greetings from JFKEZE hostel!
That sign belongs to a Condominium building and it's been broken for at least 5 years.... So it spells condomi hehe
God, the 4th was kinda sad and you missed the post Burma picnic!
Bahaha, broken for 5 years, nice neighborhood.
4th was indeed sad, passed out at the hostel, but I did had a great time in Calgary catching up with friends in lieu of the picnic
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Part 33 – A Duo of Air Canada flights, EWR-YYC-YOW-YYZ

With a 3 day gap between the Fourth of July until the 7th where I had my LOT Polish 787-8 Dreamliner flight, I had a problem to solve, what do I do for 3 days?
New York City, I’m here too often and so last minute I made up my mind to visit one of my close friends up in Calgary.

Jul 5, 2013 – Friday
AC 585 EWR – YYC 8:00am – 11:15am (E90/J)

Another early start out of Queens, out of the jfkeze hostel and into the New York Subway system at 4:40am, people actually ride the train at that time too.
E Line Local to Penn Station then a NJ transit train, can’t remember the last time I took a train out to Jersey, it’s been forever since I’ve flown out of Newark.

NJ Transit

A quick 25 minute train ride and I’m at the Airtrain Station.

Airtrain Newark

*Did Jersey steal these from Epcot

Good Morning New York

Aloha to you too

Still early for the Jungle Jets

Newark Liberty Airport Terminal A

Always an odd scene when I come over to Jersey being an Oneworld flyer.

Air Canada Priority Check-In

Load was still showing 6/9 this morning for Calgary

Despite the fact that the Air Canada gates were at Terminal A-1 and the United Club was Terminal A-2, I decided to head off to the lounge nonetheless as I still had 1 Hours 10 Minutes prior to boarding.

Newark Terminal A-2 United Airlines Club

Part 33 Continues Below
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Better than no early breakfast

*Lounge was no special at all and but better than sitting at the gate, and at 7:10am, I exited A-2 and re-clear security into A-1.

Terminal A-1 Gates

*May I never need to fly Southwest

Air Canada Embraer 190

*37th flight, 91740 Miles flown since Apr 28
Air Canada 585
Newark Liberty to Calgary
Scheduled – 8:00am – 11:15am, 5 hr 15 min flight
Actual Departure – 7:55am
On Time Arrival – 10:52am
Business Class, Seat 2F
Food – Breakfast
Equipment – Embraer 190

*Very Old School

No Duty Free was available at the gate, was planning to gift a bottle of booze to my Calgary friend. Apparently it was pre-security as the gate staff said, now you tell me
Crappy Terminal

Boarding finally began at 7:35am

Air Canada Embraer 190 Business Class Cabin

Air Canada Embraer 190 Business Class Seat

Pre-Departure Beverage

Boarding finished in 17 Minutes with a 65 percent load in the back and 6/9 up front as expected. Door were closed by 7:55am, pushback 10 minutes after that.

A rebranded Air Canada Express Embraer 175 just coming in

A Salute to those who have left us on 9/11

Going towards the Runway

Conflicted Perhaps

Finally rolled off Runway 22R at 8:17am towards Calgary

4 Hours 25 Minutes to Calgary this morning

Part 33 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; May 7, 2014 at 10:11 am
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Service commenced quickly by the cabin director.

AC 585 Breakfast

To Start
Sliced Seasonal Fruit

Yogurt

Warm breads with butter and preserves

Freshly brewed Second Cup coffee or a selection of tea and gerbil teas (served with milk, cream or lemon)

Main Course
Parsley Omelette with chicken sausage, roasted red skin potatoes and red pepper relish

Pancakes with maple Butter, chicken sausage and cran-apple compote

Hot Towel

Starter Drink

Tray Service

Starter, Fresh Seasonal Fruit Plate

Main Course, Parsley Omelette

Extra bag of chips from the snack basket

*Was Hungry

Just over Southern Ontario as the service was completed

AC 580 Mid Flight Snack
Snack Basket is available throughout the flight.
A cocktail snack and a full selection of beverages are available at all times throughout your flight

Snack Basket

*FA was suspecting some EWR ground crew were stealing food, we didn’t even get a menu for this flight.

As I had woke up at 4am for this flight, time to sleep off for about 2 hours and rose up over the Plains

Extra Snack Selection

FA gave a comped Y blanket, why did J have no pre-existing blankets????

And around 10:30am, we made our descent into Calgary

Finally back in Calgary

Part 33 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Dec 14, 2013 at 11:04 am
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Why is the daytime high in July in Calgary is 12C/54F, I have no clothes for that weather

This wasn’t a great year to come to Calgary, a once every 50 Year flood came through on the Bow River and flooded much of Downtown Calgary and the SaddleDome 2 weeks prior.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06...ry-ghost-town/

Cars were in High Demand, couldn’t find a rental car, mood was down for the Stampede and I wasn’t much of guy for the Stampede to begin with.
Overall, downers start of the summer in Calgary.

And to make things worse, Calgary would be the place the entire trip I got a secondary check, a nice welcome back to Canada, eh

As if I needed any more reminders it was Stampede weekend

A fun 36 hours in Calgary to catch up with my close buddy, even went to a quick stop up to his family’s ranch. Also caught up with some sleep as my Europe section of the RTW II was beginning soon as well.

Jul 6, 2013 – Saturday
AC 168 YYC – YOW 11:50pm – 5:45am (+1)[Jul 7] (E90/Y)
Jul 7, 2013 – Sunday
AC 445 YOW – YYZ 9:00am – 10:05am (320/Y)

My buddy dropped me off at Calgary airport at 10:30pm, right on schedule for the red-eye.

Calgary International Airport

*Still light out at 10:30pm

Talk about a dead airport

Air Canada Priority Check-In

*Had already snagged the bulkhead at T-24 but wanted the actual bp

No lines at security and I was airside and the Domestic Maple Leaf Club is conveniently to the right once past security

Calgary Air Canada Domestic Maple Leaf Club

Part 33 Continues Below
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Really?!?

*Sir, please respect lounge etiquette or any etiquette in Public Space.

And around 11:15pm, I made my way to gate A25, a bit of a walk as it was a US/Domestic switchover type of gate

Another Air Canada Embraer 190

*Not at Gate A25

*38th flight, 93534 Miles flown since Apr 28
Air Canada 168
Calgary to Ottawa
Scheduled –11:50pm – 5:45am(+1) [Jul 7], 3 hr 55 min flight
Delayed Departure – 11:51pm, In Cabin Seat Repair
On Time Arrival – 5:45am(+1)
Economy Class, Seat 12C
Food – Food For Purchase
Equipment – Embraer 190

Boarding finally began at 11:35pm, as boarding were held up due to a mechanic fixing up an economy seat mid-cabin. A supervisor also showed up to that gate and manage to convince the FA to board Business and some of the front rows of Economy.

Air Canada Embraer 190 Economy Class Cabin

Air Canada Embraer 190 Economy Class Seat

*Legroom is ok for the aisle person, not the greatest for the window

We only were delayed by a minute despite the small mechanical delay and door were closed by 11:51pm.

Flight time was 3 Hours 35 Minutes

Not much to write about this flight as a quick red-eye, although our flight fell out of the sky over Minnesota

AC 168 parked right on schedule at 5:45am and a quick 8 minutes walk down the concourse to the Maple Leaf Club, time to get some breakfast

Ottawa Air Canada Maple Leaf Club

Part 33 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; May 7, 2014 at 10:12 am
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Breakfast consist off yogurt, cereals, eggs, fruits and breads, it’s better than US lounges, that’s all I’ll say, and after I caught up on some work and plans. I was back down to the gate at 8:20am for the Rapidair Ottawa – Toronto flight.

Airy and Functional

*Maybe its just me and I don’t fly enough domestic Canada flights but seems like our airport are in better condition than the US ones

Air Canada Airbus 320-200

Not quite hourly Toronto flights on a Sunday

*39th flight, 93760 Miles flown since Apr 28
Air Canada 445
Ottawa to Toronto Pearson
Scheduled - 9:00am – 10:05am, 1 hr 5 min flight
Delayed Departure – 9:04am, Delay due Wheelchair Pax Special Handling
Delayed Arrival – 10:06am
Economy Class, Seat 12C
Food – Beverage Service
Equipment – Airbus 320-200

What’s with all the AC flight, the last few all seem to be playing with fire with these 15 minutes boarding process. As for this flight, we had 3 cabin wheelchairs which required extra oxygen for in-cabin use. It’s bloody miracle we weren’t running even more late, thumbs down to the lazy Ottawa GA for boarding them at 8:35am, and general at 8:45am

Air Canada Airbus 320-200 Economy Class Cabin

Air Canada Airbus 320-200 Economy Class Seat

*God the curtain is annoying during take-off especially since its not tied down to an actual bulkhead.

Door closed at 9:04am and we’re airborne by 9:15am
43 Minutes to Pearson this morning

A quick water, coffee, OJ run was all this flight was good for.

And soon we made our descent into Toronto, landing at 9:55am and a 10 minute taxi to the gate.

A half day in Toronto/Niagara yet again and flying on the “Dreamliner” tonight to Warsaw.
Or maybe it’s the “Nightmare-Liner”

Next Part
Part 34 – The “Dream Come Alive or Die” Plane, LOT Boeing 787-8 Business Class YYZ – WAW
Old Dec 13, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Thanks for this short Air Canada domestic report! I'll be in Calgary next spring, actually it's on of the few Canadian cities I've never been to.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
Thanks for this short Air Canada domestic report! I'll be in Calgary next spring, actually it's on of the few Canadian cities I've never been to.

Thanks for the continuing reading themapelligroup
There really isn't much to write about AC Domestic to be honest, they used to do a cookies/ice cream rather than snack basket prior to arrival.
Personally I like that set-up more but that's probably more wasteful
Are you doing just Calgary or part of a trip up to Canadian Rockies as well?
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Part 34 – The “Dream Come Alive or Die” Plane, LOT Boeing 787-8 Business Class YYZ – WAW

This ticket was part of a YYZ – WAW – FRA – SPU ticket I had way back in December 2012. At that time, the LO 788 was scheduled to be on the Toronto – Warsaw route by the spring, that was until the 788 lithium battery decided it was time to bust out and torch the plane and caused a system-wide grounding.
With that, I was lucky to see the LO 788 back in service by Early June with its full flat seating, it was downgraded to a Boeing 767-300 with recliner seating for awhile, shudders
First time on a Boeing 787-8, better not be my last

Jul 7, 2013 – Sunday
LO 46 YYZ – WAW 10:20pm – 12:45pm (+1)[Jul 8](788/J)

After spending an afternoon in Toronto and Niagara to catch up with some friends and a couple errands here and there, It was finally time to fly to Europe.
I got back to Pearson at 8:30pm coming in from Niagara and dropping the rental car off.

Toronto Pearson International Airport Terminal 1

*Yes that was the Economy lines for the LO flights, a bushel load of Visiting Friends and Family.

And it extends on and on and on…

*1 of the reason I either try flying F/J or have an elite card of the airline/partner, just to get away the situation from this.

Premium Economy and Business Line were luckily empty.

LOT Polish Airlines Business Class Check-In

Process was done quickly and my pre-reserve seat of 3C showed up on the system.
Ticketing lines were also very full and many of the Kettles had to paid for extra baggage fees as well which meant they had to re-line up over on the ticketing line.

And after getting passed security by 8:45pm, it was time to head off to the hammerhead, the int’l departure section.

Can YYZ ever consistently keep this things turned on

Toronto Pearson Air Canada International Maple Leaf Club

With my timing today, I barely got in some light bites and a shower prior to heading down to gate E74.

Part 34 Continues Below
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:10 am
Original Poster

LOT Polish Airlines Boeing 787-8 “Dreamliner”

*Photo taken in Warsaw and more are attached at the end of this part

*40th flight, 98081 Miles flown since Apr 28
LOT Polish Airlines 46
Toronto Pearson to Warsaw
Scheduled – 10:20pm – 12:45pm(+1) [Jul 8], 8 hr 25 min flight
Actual Departure – 10:13pm
On Time Arrival – 12:03pm(+1)
Business Class, Seat 3C
Food – Dinner, Continental Breakfast
Equipment – Boeing 787-8 “Dreamliner” SP-LRC

Boarding started at 9:35pm and the entire gate was full of Kettles, had to do the “I am in Business Class” to get onboard.

Only 2L was used in YYZ, although WAW used 1L and 2L

*This is 1L taken at WAW

LOT Polish Airlines Boeing 787-8 “Dreamliner” Business Class Cabin

LOT Polish Airlines Boeing 787-8 “Dreamliner” Business Class Seat

Business Class Seat Feature

Part 34 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; May 7, 2014 at 10:13 am
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:12 am
Original Poster

*I like the seat, I’ve sat on this exact model on previous Air China 332 & 333 planes, and the trick I find is to have the seat back reclined about 2-3 degrees for a perfect sleep.

Pre-Departure Beverage

Extra Large Boeing 787-8 Windows

*Personally I like the windows, it’s a good change even if it’s kinda odd for 1st timers

Overhead Lighting and Air Nozzles

The mood-lighting lavatory

*With sensor faucet and flushing

How are the effects of the extra large windows, ya that’s Terminal 1 in the distance

Boarding took about 40 Minutes but on time and door were closed at 10:13pm, Y was 100 percent full, Y+ around 70% but J was only 8/24 so each pax got a 2 seat pair, nice perk for us at least
Pushback right on schedule at 10:20pm

Bye Bye Toronto

*Got out just in time, it started raining as boarding started.

Our turn off Runway 5, airborne at 10:38pm

Until next time Why Why Zee

Cabin was relighted after take-off and amenity kit was passed out

Extra Dreamliner Material

Part 34 Continues Below
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:14 am
Original Poster

7 Hours 30 Minutes flight time to Warsaw

*AVOD system has a English, Polish, German and Russian language option, sadly nothing was worth watching

Dining Menu

LO 46 Dinner

First Course
Shrimp and Tuna with Grilled Vegetables

Crunchy Seasonal Salad

Main Course
Curry Chicken with Rice and Vegetables
Or
Cod Fish with Tomato Sauce
Or
Lasagne with Grilled Vegetables

Cheese Selection

Dessert
White & Dark Chocolate Mousse
Or
Fresh Fruit Salad

Meal service started about 30 minutes after take-off

Hot Towel to start

Nut Bites and Starter Drink

Fly on the Polish, drink like the Polish

*Just kidding, do that and we divert to Newfoundland lol

Appetizer Set

*Each dish was hand delivered vs. tray service which was nice

Appetizer, Shrimp and Tuna with Grilled Vegetables

Salad, Crunchy Seasonal Salad on Vinaigrette

Bread Basket

Main Course, Curry Chicken with Rice and Vegetables

Fruit and Cheese Plate

Dessert, White & Dark Chocolate Mousse

Meal took a full hour and we’re down to just 5 Hours 45 Minutes to Warsaw

*A bedsheet was provided along with a blanket but no duvet

Part 34 Continues Below

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.