Search

Emirates First Class A380 JFK-DXB and Six Days on Safari in South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by metoo
Thanks for a wonderful trip report. Just loved all the pictures. You had mentioned
" We're flying LAX-DXB-CPT on 25FEB but then returning on CX via HKG."
Which Airline awards redemption for LAX-DXB-CPT? How many miles is it?
Thanks very much metoo. Glad you enjoyed.
LAX-DXB-CPT is using Alaska miles... 100,000 per person for one way EK First.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by amolkold
Great report, as always. Surprised you still fly Delta to and fro from Denver, but I guess United isn't that great an option and AA is limited.
I don't know too many other people who fly AA/BA international frequently out of YVR. I do it, though, for the mileage programme and better agents in general.
(and the main *A option and Skyteam in general are both terrible.)
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:24 am

SFO777

Seeing as other people are asking for more trip reports, I wanna see you visit London. Don't think I have read a UK trip report from you.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingBald
SFO777

Seeing as other people are asking for more trip reports, I wanna see you visit London. Don't think I have read a UK trip report from you.
He did go there on his India TR IIRC
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingBald
SFO777
Great idea. We've actually been to London quite a few times, but recently only for a day or two. We'll be back in December but again only for one night. Here are some pics from a few recent trips. Promise to do a proper report one of these trips.

High tea at the Ritz.

I know, I know... sappy chick musical

Old Nov 5, 2013, 3:10 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SFO777
Great idea. We've actually been to London quite a few times, but recently only for a day or two. We'll be back in December but again only for one night.
Guess SFO777 is sick of the UK Air Passenger Duty as much as I do, 23:59! 23:59! ^
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Guess SFO777 is sick of the UK Air Passenger Duty as much as I do, 23:59! 23:59! ^
+1
We're all part of this club, I guess.
(going so far as to take an LCC to the continent and beginning my I/B from there if it is a bit cheaper with another cnx in LHR.)
(and one very vocal member who is also a mod makes sure not to go there at all!)
Old Nov 10, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat; 2 MM; Amex Rewards; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Plat.
Absolutely terrific, as usual

Wow!! Thanks. My wife and I will be at the same Boulders result in early May. For your great close up animal pictures, please share what lens(es) you used. My longest lens is a 300. Will I need more? How about a small tripod-necessary or not?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CalRef
Wow!! Thanks. My wife and I will be at the same Boulders result in early May. For your great close up animal pictures, please share what lens(es) you used. My longest lens is a 300. Will I need more? How about a small tripod-necessary or not?
Thanks CalRef. I'm sure that you and your wife will love it. I have a Canon 60D and used a Tamron SP 70-300 lens for the safari shots. So your 300 should be fine. I brought a collapsable unipod but only used it one day. The Land Rovers are stocked with a sand/bean bag pod that attaches to the bar in front of your seat... great for stabilization.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat; 2 MM; Amex Rewards; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Plat.
Many thanks. Please keep up the great work for all of us.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Plat(Soon to be gold), HHonors Silver, Amex Gold
SFO - Wonderful report. Stunning pictures especially of the safari. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. Looks like you had a wonderful time. This is the first post of yours I've had the pleasure of reading and I look forward to reading many a more.

@ Noy - "There are plenty of signs upon entering the malls (& other places) offering advice about respecting the local dress code. I see many westerners (expats/tourists) flagrantly ignoring this advice, sadly. To date, I don't recall seeing anyone being chastised about their lack of respect in this regard & I have lived here for more than 3 years. They should be though. Its just disrespectful. A little restraint & respect is all thats needed. Most folk are tolerant but some people just go too far"

I'm sorry but I disagree - I find DXB to be hypocritical - whereby a certain local community travel to the UK and flagrantly flout our local laws especially of the Road Traffic Act, this I can comment on personally having dealt with it in my professional life and I find this far more disgraceful than someone not wearing a skirt that is long enough culture or not.
I don't disagree with you that at times there are certain people whom should really take a look at what they wear as yes they are in "their" country but it should not be one rule for one and one for the other - take sitting in a bar in certain traditional dress drinking?
I can assure you though security in the malls give out "dress code cards" to those whom they think are inappropriately dressed.

Not to detract from the thread but once again - wonderful truly report.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:09 am

Programs: Emirates Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO777
The Emirates First Class Lounge at DXB T3

Upon deplaning, a distinctly non First Class experience. There was no First Class meet and greet, no EK representative nor signs for much of anything. Also, precious few flight/gate monitors. And since our flight was not for 6 hours, there was no indication of what gate or what terminal. No EK representative. No signs to Terminal 3. No priority security. No clue where to go. It's OK if you know the layout. But having only been here one time before, arriving and departing from Terminal 3, not so much. I knew I wanted to go to Terminal 3 but our choices were A, B or C, not 1, 2 or 3. We eventually found the First Class lounge for the B gates, but it was clearly the old one. We did finally get the info I wanted... our JNB gate was A4 and the Terminal 3 is the A gates. Jeez, is it that difficult?? Back down to the train and finally to T3 and the largest First Class Lounge on the planet.
Great trip review. Enjoying it very much.

This might have been explained to you later. I think you got your terminology mixed up. Terminal 3 is the Emirates Terminal and then there are three concourses. So you were already in T3 when you arrived, but needed to take the train to concourse A for your train. A is the "380" concourse, B is the older one and C is closest to T2 where the other airlines park their "gracefully ageing" metal.

Last edited by ghostwrita; Nov 13, 2013 at 4:08 am
Old Nov 13, 2013, 3:41 pm

Let me add my appreciation for the report as I and Mrs. VB anticipate our BCN-DXB-LAX trip in F on Emirates.
Would you mind hitting the 'sitting together vs sitting at the window' question again? Based on your comments I moved us from center-together E/F to 1K/2K. We are normally inseparable but this is the conclusion of a 23 day trip and I think we can take a trial separation for a few hours. What was your final conclusion on this, or perhaps I should ask what seats you went for on your upcoming trip?

Also it seems that DXB has a right hand pattern and so row K probably has the better view of DXB coming in as the plane makes right-wing-down turns.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CalRef
Many thanks. Please keep up the great work for all of us.
Thank you CalRef!

Originally Posted by DXBFlyer
SFO - Wonderful report. Stunning pictures especially of the safari. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. Looks like you had a wonderful time. This is the first post of yours I've had the pleasure of reading and I look forward to reading many a more.
Thanks so much DXBFlyer for your kind comments. We had a great time and looking forward to spending more time in Dubai.

Originally Posted by ghostwrita
Great trip review. Enjoying it very much.
This might have been explained to you later. I think you got your terminology mixed up. Terminal 3 is the Emirates Terminal and then there are three concourses. So you were already in T3 when you arrived, but needed to take the train to concourse A for your train. A is the "380" concourse, B is the older one and C is closest to T2 where the other airlines park their "gracefully ageing" metal.
Thanks ghostwrita and for your clarification of the T3 layout.

Originally Posted by vulgarboatman
Let me add my appreciation for the report as I and Mrs. VB anticipate our BCN-DXB-LAX trip in F on Emirates.
Would you mind hitting the 'sitting together vs sitting at the window' question again? Based on your comments I moved us from center-together E/F to 1K/2K. We are normally inseparable but this is the conclusion of a 23 day trip and I think we can take a trial separation for a few hours. What was your final conclusion on this, or perhaps I should ask what seats you went for on your upcoming trip?
Also it seems that DXB has a right hand pattern and so row K probably has the better view of DXB coming in as the plane makes right-wing-down turns.
Thanks very much vulgarboatman. I'm sure you will and Mrs. VB will enjoy your flights and your "trial separation." LOL.

IMO, some cabin layouts work for two in the middle, some don't. We've decided that for all of our future EF A380 and 77W flights, we'll go for consecutive window seats instead of the middle pair. The curvature of the fuselage gives the window seats a little more space. Plus the windows let you control light a lot better. We selected 2K and 3K on our LAX-DXB A380 flight in February. As to which side of the plane is best for viewing Dubai, I'd defer to those that have flown into DXB more. But I did have a great view from 4K on our arrival from JFK. Enjoy your trip!
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Another fantastic trip report, SFO777 ^

What’s with the ‘archeology’ at DEN? Is it fake or a real discovery they made when they built the terminal? I'm presuming fake, if so, what purpose does it serve?!

Presentation of the DL food on your flight to LGA doesn’t look too bad, although not very substantial.

The EK lounge at JFK looks very dated, as does the JNB lounge. I'm really not a fan of their old lounge design - I like it even less than the old BA Terraces concept, which thankfully has been removed from most lounges. That new EK F lounge in DXB is HUGE. I like some of the areas, but others are just a bit over-the-top IMO. It doesn’t really look very intimate. Direct A380 boarding is always a positive, and EK have this in a few lounges, not just DXB and JFK, but also at LHR.

I’ve never really been a fan of the EK hard product (and particularly it’s variability across the fleet in J). Most definitely too blingy for my taste. I do like those shower bathrooms on the A380.

The EK F menu selection seems huge and very appetising indeed! Surprised you only ate a main course onboard the JFK-DXB sector! No snacks? The catering on your J sector to JNB doesn’t look very good – particularly the main course. More excellent looking food on your JNB-DXB sector, although it looks less impressive on your sector home to JFK.

Great short flight to your safaris! I’d love to do something like that. Quite unique, and it must make such a nice change from 'normal' commercial air travel.

Truly outstanding photography of your safaris. The first lodge you stayed at – simply breathtaking, but wow, USD2500 per night! It looks so worth it though. And the second lodge is equally as stunning in its own way. I would absolutely love to go on a safari. Did you feel safe? Not so much from the wildlife, but due to the political tensions in the region, and being a potential 'Western' target?

The new T4 DL Sky Club looks a little utilitarian for my taste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.