Search

Emirates First Class A380 JFK-DXB and Six Days on Safari in South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2013, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Emirates First Class A380 JFK-DXB and Six Days on Safari in South Africa

Mrs. SFO777 and I are off again this week to another bucket list adventure with our good SoCal friends. Seven days in South Africa including two three-day stays at two over the top resorts. And then 24 hours in Dubai as Mrs. SFO's never ending birth month celebration continues... with planned visits to both Mall of the Emirates and The Dubai Mall. To make matters even worse, she decided that in order to maximize shopping time we should stay at the Sheraton Dubai Mall of the Emirates. I am in so much trouble.

Thanks to Alaska Airlines' new partnership with Emirates and a dose of patience and perseverance, we are off in style on miles on one of my favorite airlines. For the first couple of months, EK First awards were plentiful. Then someone in Dubai realized that F inventory was disappearing and AS mileage is a lot easier to accumulate than EK mileage. So EK cut way back on award availability. Nevertheless, we were eventually able to bag some great EK First fights starting with JFK-DXB and 12 hours on an Emirates A380. Hope you enjoy the ride.

Delta 1794 First Class DEN-LGA
Sheraton LaGuardia East
Emirates Lounge at JFK
Emirates 204 A380 First Class JFK-DXB
Emirates New First Class Lounge at DXB T3
Emirates 765 Business Class DXB-JNB
Intercontinental Hotel at JNB
Federal Air
Singita Boulders - Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Odie Air
Royal Malewale - Thornybush Game Reserve
Federal Air
Emirates Lounge at JNB
Emirates 766 First Class JNB-DXB
Sheraton Dubai Mall of the Emirates
Mall of the Emirates
The Dubai Mall
Another Nobu Fix: Nobu Dubai
-Emirates Old First Class Lounge at DXB B Gates
-Emirates 201 First Class DXB-JFK
-Delta Sky Club at JFK
-Delta 2454 First Class JFK-DEN

Since Emirates has chosen not (yet) to fly nonstop to Denver, we must connect yet again to the good stuff. Using one of my two annual companion passes, this cheap DL nonstop is perfectly timed to get to NYC for a good night's sleep before our 20 hours of Emirates First to Joburg. As an experience DL flyer, I remembered the golden rule when traveling DL... never assume an edible meal. With that in mind, we left 15 minutes early to stop at newly opened Root Down, the DIA Concourse C branch of one of our favorite Denver restos. Only open a month with some funky decor, it did not disappoint.

And nice views of an airline I hope to never fly again...

We shared a breakfast burrito and tandoori chicken wrap... both delicious.

At T-35, we headed over to Gate C36.

And arrived just as Priority boarding began.

Delta 1794
DEN-LGA
A319
3:38p-9:20p (sked)
3:29p-9:00p (actual)
October 1, 2013
Seats 2AB

Friendly NYC-based FA Karen, provided excellent service for the most part, including PDB.

But once in flight, the usual bad DL habit of rushing thru drink service to get to the meal. Even worse today, as our FA brought my cocktail with the meal tray. Seriously??? To her credit, she had no objection when I asked if she would take my meal back and serve it later. Today's "lunch" selections were cold Herb Chicken salad or (stinky and no doubt processed) hot beef and provolone sandwich. Older and wiser when it comes to DL food, Mrs. SFO passed while I took one for the team and the photo op. The chicken was semi-edible but the rest of the salad was awful. Yo DL, how about if you fly AA and see what a proper domestic lunch looks and tastes like.

As usual, the best of any DL meal is the Dancing Deer dessert. Today's Molasses was pretty good, so much so that Mrs. SFO ate half of mine and asked for her own.

Periodic drink refills and a pass of the snack basket. Good WiFi service today.

And the always classy A319... the usual no curtain means the galley is part of the F cabin.

Last edited by SFO777; Nov 3, 2013 at 3:05 pm
Old Oct 2, 2013, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Even with a go around, we arrived on time at the D terminal, the only nice terminal at LaGuardia. Unfortunately, the jet bridge had a mechanical which took another 15 minutes to fix and open the door. The D terminal is much nicer than the dumps that are the A and B terminals.

Outside, a beautiful 75 degree night and the Sheraton shuttle bus arrived 5 minutes later.

Sheraton LaGuardia East
Flushing, NY

After a winding 15 minute shuttle ride, we arrived in the heart of Flushing's Chinatown or Vietnamtown or somewhere else in Asiatown. Aging Sheraton property was full tonight so no upgrades. Pleasant room on the 16th floor near the Club Lounge.

Last edited by SFO777; Oct 16, 2013 at 11:45 am
Old Oct 2, 2013, 6:36 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
Looking forward to this one
Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by spizzy
Agree!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:54 am

This should be a great trip. Thanks for taking the time to report!

I believe it is the Chinatown and that it is larger than the one in Manhattan. That's what I've been told. Anyway, it's pretty cool how they have all the Chinese newspapers by the elevators and what not.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spizzy
Originally Posted by JALlover
Agree!
Thank you spizzy and JALlover. If inflight Wifi works today, it will come sooner rather than later.

Originally Posted by farbster
This should be a great trip. Thanks for taking the time to report!
I believe it is the Chinatown and that it is larger than the one in Manhattan. That's what I've been told. Anyway, it's pretty cool how they have all the Chinese newspapers by the elevators and what not.
Thanks farbster and for the clarification. The view from our room...

Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Another SFO777 report? It must be Christmas!

Last edited by sky303; Oct 2, 2013 at 9:17 am
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Sabi Sands is - obviously - the best part of greater Kruger to see wildlife. I hope you can spot many cheetahs, lions, and leopards!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: AS 75k, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, National EE
Work is crazy, people are nuts, deadlines are passing, the government is shutdown, and the world is in chaos.

But if there's a new SFO777 trip report, then all is right and good in the universe.

After seeing the damage done in Italy, I can't wait to hear about shopping in DXB over 24 hours!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Very excited to see more!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: LH HON, EK Plat, QR Plat, TK EP
Oh, SFO777, if you think DXB can't possibly be as bad as MXP shopping-wise, then you need to think again... My sympathies .
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: Free Agent
The brown bottle on the table at Root Down reminds me of an old chem lab supply jug!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Three cheers for SFO777. Can't wait to read this!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Wooooo! Here we go again! Belt up boys and girls!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Nice report as always. Can't wait for the rest!

I must say though that the cabin on Delta's A319 looks rather ratty. Do they have any plans to refurbish these planes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.