Original Poster

MH First Class LHR-KUL on A380

Malaysian Airlines
First Class
Airbus A380
MH001 LHR-KUL
March 2013

Check-in
MH1 departs from Heathrow’s T4, and the process is very low-key/basic, but then there’s only two MH flights a day so wasn’t expecting any grand check-in experience. The MH facilities were a set of standard check-in desks at the far left of T4. One desk was set aside for First Class, but there was no pax waiting at any of the MH desks anyway.

Lounge
MH has a single lounge which is cut into two by a glass wall/door. It’s a little odd I suppose, as the glass partition is mostly see-through, whereas you might have expected an entirely opaque partition. This was particularly confusing to my travel companion who went through the door to the spare seats on the other side, not knowing that he had transferred into the Business lounge. The First Class lounge is nice enough but very small. The food offering seems to focus on cooked-to-order full meals, with only a small buffet selection made available.

Boarding
The boarding gate for the flight was a very short walk from the Lounge, but as you might expect for loading an A380 the boarding area/gates were a bit of a zoo. Thankfully there was a specific First class line (as was there also for business class). The First Class gate was empty except for an obnoxious Australian who was arguing with the desk clerk, whilst simultaneously talking on his phone, as to why she wouldn’t let him use the First Class door when he was in Business Class. He seemed lost to the fact that his cabin is on an entirely different floor of the plane. When pointed out the business class gate, he continued to protest that he couldn’t possibly get past all the economy pax. I interjected that he could easily circumnavigate the crowd by simply traversing the rows of seating, and he departed on his epic journey with a sneer. The rest of boarding was relatively standard not much an airline can really excel at with a cabin consisting of 2 rows of 1-2-1 seating config. The main gripe at this stage was the lack of alcohol prior to take off. I enquired but was told that the bar was not to be open until after takeoff, so soft drinks only. This was particularly frustrating given the events that followed. Hot towels were distributed, and I glanced over to see the gentleman next to me use it to give his rollaboard luggage a complete clean, including the wheels and the fabric; a real good scrub. Never seen anyone do that before. The toiletries bag was then provided, and contained the usual mix of products, with Bvlgari being the chosen brand. Very nice.

The Seat
First impressions of the First Class seat were simply WOW; it very much has the xfactor. A huge suite with no narrowing at the feet-end. Lots of personal space, and a little personal locker for hanging suits etc. There was a built-in lower back massage feature, which my companion liked but I found somewhat basic and more of a gimmick. It was hard to take photos of the seat that realistically portrayed the space available, especially given I was using a phone as a camera. Many other pics on the web are better, but here as some of mine.
This first pic gives an idea of the colours and fabric of the seat but fails to really get across how wide it is.

This next pic aims to show the sheer amount of space at the foot-end, the quality and size of the TV screen, as well as my excellent taste in socks..

Finally a cross-cabin shot showing the personal locker in the middle of the doorway.

The buttons to operate the seat were constructed of rubber/sponge which gave a nice feel compared to the usual hard plastic click like that which you get on BA.

Taxi and take-off
The boarding seemed to be over quite quickly, and we were taxiing to the runway. We eventually got to the runway and started trundling down it, but then turned left off the runway and looped back round to the start. We waited there for 10 mins before the captain announced that there was a technical issue that they couldn’t identify and that we’d have to return to the terminal to get an engineer to look at it. We trundled back towards the terminal, and turned into a parking slot but oddly the plane stopped mid-turn and say 30meters from a proper parking placement. You can sort of make out the odd position in this photo, as the plane is at an angle to the parking bays.

We stayed in this position for 40mins longer, and never heard a pip from the Captain regarding the situation. Then we began to push back and thought that all was fixed, but all that happened was that we got pushed back and then got straightened up and put properly into the parking bay. A further hour went past and the Captain said that the lights would be going off as they were going to turn everything off and on again (classic IT fix!). Various things were blinking off and on for quite some time (sort of like a short haul BA 767 disco but much worse). By this time all pax in the F cabin had their seats heavily reclined, and some fully asleep, in bed position with duvets out etc.
Eventually we pushed back and taxied off to the runway. The crew didn’t do any pre-flight checks though, and the plane took off with everyone in bed position! That was good fun. All in all about 2hrs45mins delay, with fluff-all updates/explanations from the cockpit. And no booze/food permitted at all. Very poor show.

Food and Service
By the time the crew started the cabin service, after all the delays etc, it was coming on for 1:30am and I had lost all will for food. They came to take my food order but I informed them that I wouldn’t be eating, and I’d be getting straight to sleep. The crew seemed unable to accept this though, and badgered me beyond belief. (For those in the UK, think Mrs Doyle offering cups of tea to Father Ted). I was really quite angry by the end of the interrogation. I ended up taking the satay just to get rid of her. I thought the satay was incredibly average. I slept very well but awoke to undergo the same interrogation as to why I wouldn’t eat a full meal. I NEVER eat a big breakfast and only ever have cereal/juice wherever I am, and know that I am not alone in this. So quite why they thought it necessary to question what was wrong with me just because I didn’t want a full 4-course curry and rice meal the minute I got up is beyond me. For the sheer persistence and obtrusiveness of the MH service, I’d say it’s the worst airline service I’ve ever experienced; and I’ve travelled on AA …

Entertainment System
The AV hard-product is very good, with a quality screen of excellent size. However, the AV selection was poor in terms of western content. Poor selection of movies and poor selection of TV shows. But I cant complain too much because its not a western carrier, and they had selections for a wide variety of cultures (Hindu, Japanese, Malay, Chinese, Indian, etc). So a wide selection overall, but poor in terms of any one particular demographic.

Closing comment
Fantastic hard product, but let down by substandard service, AV and food. I cancelled my return leg and rebooked onto BA ClubWorld from SIN; I just feel more at home on BA.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
That's why I always choose a day flight. Then I can slowly try a little bit of everything. I can't say enough for the service I received on the KUL-LHR flight earlier last month. The crew were pleasant and was always there when I needed anything.

I'll do my TR for CGD-KUL later this week.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Interesting to compare your experience to mine.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:45 pm
Community Director Emerita

Ouch, not what I wanted to read. Fortunately, we are leaving from KUL on a day flight. Hopefully that means better lounge and better ability to deal with any mechanical issues.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by kryten22uk
For the sheer persistence and obtrusiveness of the MH service, I’d say it’s the worst airline service I’ve ever experienced; and I’ve travelled on AA
It's a shame that I find this qualifying epithet so funny but - sadly - I do!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 25, 2013 at 2:55 pm
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: BA
Loved the TR - especially the BA767 and Father Ted comments.

Disappointing to hear nothing from the flight deck over the delays, and not provide refreshments during the period - particularly if they badgered you after take off.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
"and I have travelled on AA..." ... I quite don't understand the meaning of this sentence...
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by malkie
Loved the TR - especially the BA767 and Father Ted comments.

Disappointing to hear nothing from the flight deck over the delays, and not provide refreshments during the period - particularly if they badgered you after take off.
I think the OP said no booze or food (happy to be corrected if that's not the case). My experience of MH is that they don't serve alcohol while the aircraft is on the ground but there's no problem with other beverages.

I've flown MH mainly in J and occasionally in Y for many years and have to say that I've never had an experience like the OP's. I've always found the FAs to be professional and helpful.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Originally Posted by oneworld82
"and I have travelled on AA..." ... I quite don't understand the meaning of this sentence...
= 'AA is the worst airline I have travelled on until I took this flight'
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Wow - seems like you did get a bad crew.
That un-courteous service is very much the opposite of what I experienced on two MH CDG-KUL and back flights now, admittedly in J not F. One of my flights had a nearly empty cabin with only a dozen passengers, the other times it was nearly full.
It seems like they generally don't serve alcohol as PDB drinks. I asked for a glass of champagne and was told the same, that it would only be available after takeoff. Which it was - they promptly remembered and brought me a glass of bubbly right after the seatbelt sign went off.

Speaking of the seatbelt sign: Although they went up to 40k ft to avoid it, there was a good deal of turbulence during large parts of one of my flights, but the seatbelt sign stayed off most of the time. No comparison to AA or BA where they switch it on at the slightest hint of turbulence and leave it on for eternities.

On one flight, my seat neighbor declined any food ,went right to sleep and was left alone all flight. No bothering him at all (not even to check for his seatbelt under the duvet...).
And the flight crew came through during pre-takeoff checks and made sure everyone's seat was in the proper position, same for landing.
As for the movie selection: Did you flip through all the genres on offer, not only the "latest" category? The "Drama", "Comedy" and "Hollywood Favorites" categories had a wide selection of Hollywood fare and the "CineClub" selection had a bit of Western arthouse cinema stuff.

I found the food to be very good, with the exception of the satay: the chicken was delicious, but the beef I didn't much care for.
Also, the made-to-order food in the KLIA Golden Lounge has restaurant quality. They even served the chili separately with dishes containing it.

Thanks for the report. Really seems that the F seat is worth the premium over J, and I'll definitely go for it.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK E, HHonors Gold
Thanks for the maybe very first MH A380 trip report ever. Sad to hear your experience wasn't good. I'm planning to try them on Summer and hopefully I don't run into an exceptional situation as you did as my quick understanding is they do not do too well there.

Anyway, a proper airline should serve pre take off champagne. What champagne and other wines they were serving?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Anselmi
Thanks for the maybe very first MH A380 trip report ever. Sad to hear your experience wasn't good. I'm planning to try them on Summer and hopefully I don't run into an exceptional situation as you did as my quick understanding is they do not do too well there.

Anyway, a proper airline should serve pre take off champagne. What champagne and other wines they were serving?
Not the first MH F A380 trip report, DWFI beat me to it.

The champagne was Dom Perignon.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Like I said, I just got off MH 21 from CDG to KUL.

Absolutely amazing flight. Fom boarding, to crew attitude, to service, to the food. OMG! It rivals CX in terms of food! I was stuffed. Pre takeoff drinks by the way is governed by local govt laws. Nothing the airline can do about it. Why is then say, AA, serving drinks in plastic when they're on the ground?

To appreciate what MH has to offer is to understand what it is to be in Malaysia. It's about giving and wanting you to try something. Food is very important in allowing yourself to present to someone, and to share in friendship.

That's why the Hari Raya Islmc New Year goes on for a month. During which time, the Prime Minister of Malaysia opens his house for anybody to come and share a meal with him and his family. Every evening. Free. He and his wife will also greet everyone personally. Hundreds queue up every night .

What other world leader would do that?

You've seen the ads where the flight crew welcome you with a hand over their heart? You might even have seen people who shake hands and their right hand goes over their left chest.

That is a welcome to you. It means, I greet you and welcome you to my heart!

My very detailed TR to follow.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Mar 26, 2013 at 6:22 pm
Old Mar 27, 2013, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Whilst I know some people find it frustrating, it's re-assuring when flying VS or BA that they are so thorough on safety.

Seeing a report with an aircraft taking off with people in reclined-seats, blankets out, seatbelts under blankets not checked during turbulence etc is very sloppy.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Great TR. I appreciate your posting it, as I'd been very curious about MH F, especially now that it's joining OW.

OTOH, as I noted in complimenting the other great MH F TR in this forum, I come away a bit less interested in checking it out if CX F is also an option for a given trip, particularly in view of the lax safety standards that I would not expect for even a single flight for any major airline. Still, I'll keep an open mind and am looking forward to what I'm sure will be an equally great TR from GB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.