Wiki Posts
Search

24 Hours in Marrakesh: BA Club Europe LGW-RAK-LGW 160TPs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
24 Hours in Marrakesh: BA Club Europe LGW-RAK-LGW 160TPs

The good Mrs Kipper having a moratorium on holidays in February, I took the opportunity of the 280 CE fares to RAK to go on a temporary singletons jaunt to Morocco and comfortably requalify for silver.

(This is my first TP, so if there are any image glitches I'll sort them as soon as possible)

LGW- RAK

Despite some foggy patches on the journey, it turned out to be a lovely sunny day at LGW. Parked up at the long stay terminal (thanks be to topcashback for an 8% saving).

Checked in at one of the self service machines and for the first time used my BAEC card to identify myself. A good trick well learned from FT, saving the irritating fumble for my spectacles to read my PNR from the phone.

Premier security definitely having a bad day with a long queue, almost certainly as long, if not longer than standard security. An elderly couple, clearly late for their flight, very amiably hopped their way up the line by politely asking each and every passenger in front of them whether they minded.

Rather than head immediately for the somewhat tired looking LGW lounge, I decided on a bit of people watching at Pret. Coffee there is significantly better than the BA offering, and I think it a much better place to watch the world go by for a short period. From a previous trip with some non status friends, Id also recommend the Jamie Oliver restaurant, with their porridge and fresh fruit being a favourite.

Despite me thinking that the new cool was not going into the lounge despite being entitled, I did end up there for 45 minutes reading the newspapers and tucking into a virtuous bowl of fruit salad.

Flight left from gate 112, so bit of a trek over the giant bridge. What a view though, with a clear frosty day allowing great visibility. Great views from 3A out the window all over the SE of England and Jersey, until cloud started to obscure my aerial panorama.

Good crew although not the cheery/chatty type whom I think can make the difference between good and memorable. Lunch was choice of chicken or beef. I did initially go for the beef, and then remembered that I am trying to cut back on the old saturated fats. Changed my mind quickly, and the CC member, bearing in mind the recent news, misinterpreted my change of heart by reassuring me that it was indeed beef! I then ruined my noble cholesterol reducing intentions by finishing the stilton/cheddar and chocolate cheesecake.

Gentleman in seat in front of me extraordinarily restless, and I had a sixth sense fairly early on he was going to be a recliner. True to form, as soon as lunch was cleared the seat shot back with a whack. As part of his restless routine, he also had an odd habit of gripping the back of his seat, thus exposing his not so ideal nail hygiene habits to me.....

On arrival RAK a very wet place, and approach was aborted due to an unfortunately placed rain squall directly over the runway. Captain told us there would be a further 15 minutes to allow an approach to a runway with "better facilities", although in fact 'twas only 10 minutes before we successfully arrived in Morocco.

Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Marrakesh

Arrive Marrakesh airport, prearranged taxi driver waiting and thence a very quick trip into city and riad (Moroccan B&B). Owner waiting to meet me, and then through a tangle of narrow alleyways to the riad itself. Very affable owner who turned out to be an emigre from France.

Typical Moorish house, with the rooms arranged around a central courtyard. In this case open courtyard covered over with a pergola style arrangement to keep out the heat in the summer, but not as it would have it the birds. Room was in a similar style and perfectly comfy.

Interior of bedroom

Bedroom door from interior balcony

Ensuite facilities

Riad very close to main square, Djemaa el-Fna, so wandered off on a recce. Weather was very heavy showers but mild with it. Main square awash with fruit sellers, snake charmers, henna tattoo artists and fast food stalls. Treated myself to a glass of grapefruit juice for the heady price of 80p.

Hustle and bustle of the square.

By this time getting progressively wetter and not that hungry so had the (apparent) Moroccan equivalent of a pizza . Very filling and then returned to the riad, and a good nights sleep even with the (for my liking) rather hard bed.

Breakfast was moroccan pancakes, croissant and loads of coffee and the ubiquitous real orange juice. Moroccan marmalade available, but I prefer something minus the exotic spices. Also a couple of the best tasting tangerines ever. Weather was a distinct improvement over the day before, with plenty of warm sunshine to cheer the spirit.

Breakfast area, and these tangerines.......

Left carry on with Noel, the owner and set off on tour recommended in the independent travel guide (google "48 hours in Marrakesh"). As per usual lost within about 5 minutes. Top tip: never get a map out as you will attract many new friends who will guide you for a fee, the fee never being enough. They are also extremely persistent, and it takes supreme willpower to remain smiley faced and not resort to invective.

The main mosque in Marrakesh

Not a palm tree, but a ?

Tour took me to the medina wall and the kasbah area, although you soon get tired off the same goods. I returned back to the main square, looking for mechoi, the lamb cooked in a clay pit as recommended by Jamie Oliver. Alas did not find, although it turned out the actual alley was only 50m from where I was looking. Had to settle a far less exotic and dissapointing cheese sandwich instead. I spent the rest of my time finding the hotel that Winston Churchill stayed (and painted from) on his visits to the country, La Moumania. Very impressive, but entrances guarded by security staff,and I had the feeling that my T shirt and jeans might not cut the mustard in terms of going inside.

Soon time to catch a taxi back to airport
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:33 am
Original Poster

RAK-LGW

Marrakesh airport (in case you hadn't guessed).

The runway isn't on a slope, only my camera was.

Return trip certainly showed that I have the easy potential to return to complete travel rookie very quickly. Morocco doesn't just need you to fill in a landing card, but also gets you to fill in a leaving card in addition. I missed
this fact, and was sent back tail between legs from security to fill this in. Equally stood happily in queue for scanner until french lady pointed out that this line was only for females. Another walk of shame back to the correct (males only) queue followed.

Was given a voucher for the Salon VIP. To those that might use the same facilities, my top tip is: don't bother. Windowless and soulless little room, with some sandwiches and unidentifiable cake like items that would leave your average cat hungry. Didn't hang around ( the din from passengers who believed the room was also a creche didn't help either) and wandered out for a much better view and some fresh(er) air.

Boarded on time, pushed back, waited for 5 minutes. Inevitable announcement from the flight deck then followed, the
problem being an inoperative flap indicator. Back to the stand we went. Lots of updates from Captain, as well as a lot of coming and going from folks in hi vis jackets, pens and clipboards. I thought we were done for when after half an hour I saw the wheels being chocked, and fully expected to deplane at that point.

Clunks and thumps from below, but eventually Captain announced that all was well and we were off.

Snow covered Atlas mountains.

Similar style of crew to the outbound journey, and had the lamb dopiaza to make up for my missing lamb sandwiches at lunchtime.

Arrived LGW about 90 minutes late. I was really looking forward to trying my new electronic passport, but alas LGW had had a powercut, and the E-Passport booths were out of action. Thanks to my carry on, a speedy exit to the N Terminal long stay ( in pitch darkness due to the self same powercut) and back to home 70 minutes after touch down.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:16 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks for posting and for the pics.

Seems a broadly successful TP run and glad you liked your cabin crew.

Somewhat unfortunate about the delay on the return, but glad you had a good trip. Maybe next time you could post some food pics, or add that extra special FT TR touch of including how many bottles of pommery you had thrown in your direction

Thanks.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:02 pm

Nice report, thank you for posting it. I'll be doing the same flights next week. Good 320 TP's as I'm flying from Helsinki.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: BAEC at last back to Gold, Flying Blue, Red with the Bearded One, Accor, Finnair Plus Blue
Great Trip Report, hope you get back when the weather is better. Some great Quad biking out of Marrakesh. ^
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andset1191
Thanks for posting and for the pics.

Seems a broadly successful TP run and glad you liked your cabin crew.

Somewhat unfortunate about the delay on the return, but glad you had a good trip. Maybe next time you could post some food pics, or add that extra special FT TR touch of including how many bottles of pommery you had thrown in your direction

Thanks.
Cheers. Point about food pics fully accepted, but I haven't quite made that quantum leap to photographing the food in front of other passengers. Guess I need to man up...
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by kipperman
Cheers. Point about food pics fully accepted, but I haven't quite made that quantum leap to photographing the food in front of other passengers. Guess I need to man up...
I wouldn't worry, kipperman! One of our passengers was snapping away quite happily on my last flight. It's something we see quite regularly and usually, no bats an eyelid. In fact, my first thought tends to be, "Oh God! Could be a FT member. Possible TR. Please, please let everything work properly, let the white wine and champagne be suitably chilled and the red wine be suitably un-chilled and finally, please let me not overcook the beef!"
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Turquoise - regular user of N class fares!
Thanks for this. I'm doing this as an MFU TP run from EDI in April but having a bit longer in RAK than you did. Care to recommend your hotel or other good places others have told you about?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JetSet Lady
I wouldn't worry, kipperman! One of our passengers was snapping away quite happily on my last flight. It's something we see quite regularly and usually, no bats an eyelid. In fact, my first thought tends to be, "Oh God! Could be a FT member. Possible TR. Please, please let everything work properly, let the white wine and champagne be suitably chilled and the red wine be suitably un-chilled and finally, please let me not overcook the beef!"
Thanks for the reassurance! I'll make sure I do it as discretely as possible not to put any undue pressure on anyone.....
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by speedbird_agent
Thanks for this. I'm doing this as an MFU TP run from EDI in April but having a bit longer in RAK than you did. Care to recommend your hotel or other good places others have told you about?
you have a PM
Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:06 am

Good TR, thanks. I did the same trip about 3-4 weeks ago, so the weather was much nicer for us (sunny and 25-30 each day ).

Originally Posted by speedbird_agent
If looking to buy spices.. it's fun looking around the markets, but buy from the supermarket in the new town, much cheaper!

Another tip.... book the transfer! Myself and another FTer thought we'd bus to the square then sort our way from there. Would have been OK (as Google Maps works even if you don't have data roaming there), however.. Google Maps was slightly off in the naming of a lot of non-main streets/attractions so we ended up in a not quite savoury part of the medina!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:17 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Great TR!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC
Wow thanks for sharing! What an awesome trip!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:53 pm

Does anyone know why AA.com cannot find this flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.