FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 24 Hours in Marrakesh: BA Club Europe LGW-RAK-LGW 160TP’s
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:30 am
kipperman

Programs: BA Gold
24 Hours in Marrakesh: BA Club Europe LGW-RAK-LGW 160TP’s

The good Mrs Kipper having a moratorium on holidays in February, I took the opportunity of the £280 CE fares to RAK to go on a temporary singleton’s jaunt to Morocco and comfortably requalify for silver.

(This is my first TP, so if there are any image glitches I'll sort them as soon as possible)

LGW- RAK

Despite some foggy patches on the journey, it turned out to be a lovely sunny day at LGW. Parked up at the long stay terminal (thanks be to topcashback for an 8% saving).

Checked in at one of the self service machines and for the first time used my BAEC card to identify myself. A good trick well learned from FT, saving the irritating fumble for my spectacles to read my PNR from the phone.

Premier security definitely having a bad day with a long queue, almost certainly as long, if not longer than “standard” security. An elderly couple, clearly late for their flight, very amiably hopped their way up the line by politely asking each and every passenger in front of them whether they minded.

Rather than head immediately for the somewhat tired looking LGW lounge, I decided on a bit of people watching at Pret. Coffee there is significantly better than the BA offering, and I think it a much better place to watch the world go by for a short period. From a previous trip with some non status friends, I’d also recommend the Jamie Oliver restaurant, with their porridge and fresh fruit being a favourite.

Despite me thinking that the new “cool” was not going into the lounge despite being entitled, I did end up there for 45 minutes reading the newspapers and tucking into a virtuous bowl of fruit salad.

Flight left from gate 112, so bit of a trek over the giant bridge. What a view though, with a clear frosty day allowing great visibility. Great views from 3A out the window all over the SE of England and Jersey, until cloud started to obscure my aerial panorama.

Good crew although not the cheery/chatty type whom I think can make the difference between good and memorable. Lunch was choice of chicken or beef. I did initially go for the beef, and then remembered that I am trying to cut back on the old saturated fats. Changed my mind quickly, and the CC member, bearing in mind the recent news, misinterpreted my change of heart by reassuring me that “it was indeed beef!” I then ruined my noble cholesterol reducing intentions by finishing the stilton/cheddar and chocolate cheesecake.

Gentleman in seat in front of me extraordinarily restless, and I had a sixth sense fairly early on he was going to be a “recliner”. True to form, as soon as lunch was cleared the seat shot back with a “whack”. As part of his restless routine, he also had an odd habit of gripping the back of his seat, thus exposing his not so ideal nail hygiene habits to me.....

On arrival RAK a very wet place, and approach was aborted due to an unfortunately placed rain squall directly over the runway. Captain told us there would be a further 15 minutes to allow an approach to a runway with "better facilities", although in fact 'twas only 10 minutes before we successfully arrived in Morocco.