Search

Another trip on DL to Florida, March 2012

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Another trip on DL to Florida, March 2012

Pre-TR

Welcome to my TR! Feel free to enjoy these pictures I took at Castle Island in Boston about a week before this trip:

Castle Island by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

Castle Island AA by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

Castle Island B6 by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

YouTube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPNMwCidrcc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqF67jgPNO0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQMgUuly6Eg

Last edited by N639DL; May 4, 2012 at 7:50 pm
Old May 4, 2012, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Day of Departure

So my mom is one of those people that can’t make up her mind, and when she does she’s not realistic. A good example is how this day started off. We left around 10:30am or so for a 12:30pm flight. It takes about a half hour or so to get to the airport, and then go park in economy parking. I was new to the economy parking garage, the last time I was there was when there was no garage and you had to wait 20 minutes for the shuttle bus. I just absolutely hate Massport. Their shuttle system is horrendous. Anyway my mom just doesn’t allot for time when it is needed most. I just wanted to be at the airport early to eat, take a few pictures and then go. I don’t need to be there at 5am but just a decent amount of time would have been nice. Anyway once we got to Terminal A, I quickly printed out the BPs and went to TSA. There were only one or two people ahead of us in the SP lane, so that went rather quickly. Once past TSA, we went and got some Wendy’s. I went to go eat it by the gate.

N325NB BOS-LGA by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr
At A4 was N325NB which was a 2:30p shuttle to LGA. I wondered why that plane didn’t go earlier. A3 was the 11:30am shuttle and A2 was the 12:30pm shuttle. I was sitting right next to A3’s scanner, and two pilots came up and sat nearby. They were on a shuttle down to LGA as they had BPs; one of them said “ugh, this is a shuttle.”

There were a bunch of other FAs that were NRSAing down to NYC to position for a flight. I knew there were going to be NRSAs and people making international connections in JFK but I didn’t expect that it would be mostly international connections. Soon enough it came time to board. The crowd was absurd really. I just hate how everyone chooses to stand in the path. If a person is standing to the side and out of the way that is fine. Ideally a person should be able to walk from the main path across the concourse/terminal up to the scanner. This group of 4 or 5 people were trying to board but were declined. They were standing next to the other scanner, almost through the door. When SP got called almost everyone stayed where they were and we went up. The group tried to board again but the GA was actually beginning to get angry and told them that they were zone 3, please get out of the way because you’re not boarding. The GA was taking care of my mom’s pink tag while I scanned my own mBP. My mom was freaking out saying that I shouldn’t do that. The GA actually said nice job to me, since it saved her 5 seconds even though she should have been trained to let the customer do it themself. After we got rolling I mentioned to her that they are trained to let the customer do it.

Anyway I had never been on a flight that departed out of the A1-A12 terminal. It has always been satellite for me. A1 actually has a long walk and I was surprised to hear that zone 1 was called when I was just about to enter the jet bridge. The ramp agent who was taking bags was nice. I walked on board; my first impression was the CR9 was a bit smaller than I thought it would be. I didn’t like how the window was misaligned. The overheads could take a basic under-seat item.
Old May 4, 2012, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

DL2855

DL2855
BOS-JFK
CRJ-900 (CR9) N554CA (1st CR9 flight)
6D
BOS Gate departure: Gate A1, Scheduled 12:30pm, Actual 12:27pm (+3)
BOS Takeoff: Scheduled 12:40pm, Actual 12:51pm (-11)
JFK Landing: Scheduled 1:43pm, Actual 1:35pm (+8)
JFK Gate arrival: T2 Gate 25 Section R, Scheduled 1:53pm, Actual 1:44pm (+9)

Eventually everyone was seated and we were ready to go. The young man in 5B had headphones on, and the back FA told him to turn it off and she did with a bit of “come on let’s go” attitude in it. He probably didn’t understand what she meant as she had to tell him 2 more times. The FA was a bit rude at times but nothing bad. I also disliked how there were automated announcements. For the safety demo, yes I understand that. But multiple automated announcements throughout the entire flight just shouldn't take place. Before we took off there was a NRSA FA behind me who was talking to a pax. She mentioned that she lived in BOS, but was NYC based. Personally I think a FA’s base should be where they live. That way they work out of their home airport instead of positioning themselves to start off somewhere else. With exception, if a 744 FA lived in CHS (where a 744 would pretty much never go) well then obviously they have to position themselves to work. A FA who lives in BOS but is ATL based would NRSA BOS-ATL, work ATL-BOS-ATL, then NRSA ATL-BOS. It’s a wasteful system IMO. Anyway an announcement was made so I missed some of the FA’s conversation with the pax, but she mentioned Athens and how she liked it there. It sounded like she was going to Athens but I don’t truly know.

We eventually pushed out and had to deal with that rough corner. A shuttle A319 was pulling in fresh from LGA into A3 therefore they had to get parked while we prepped for forward motion. We taxied out to 22R for takeoff. We got going and everything was normal. During the flight one of the FAs announced that there would be no service in the main cabin due to the length of the flight. DL’s website states that there should be something for more than 30 minutes (and with a 42 minute flight I was surprised there was no service.) It was a pretty quick flight to JFK. It was cloudy/low ceiling/low visibility which made the approach interesting. We landed on 22L and went straight in to park at Gate 25, section R.

Landing in JFK by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

763ER JFK by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

I do not like the JFK RJ farm.

Last edited by N639DL; May 4, 2012 at 7:41 pm
Old May 4, 2012, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Layover in JFK

I walked out the door where a gate 24 would be, and that marked the beginning of my layover in JFK. We made our way over to T3 as we would be leaving out of there and there was nothing to see in T2. The walkway looked and felt ancient as it was tugging me along. I walked around T3 since I had never been there before. That trip made me understand why T3 is being demolished in the future. The rotunda area was pretty busy with flights; the outer terminal was pretty dead. I went to the Burger King on the upper level in the rotunda. I ordered on their kiosk and waited for it to be bagged. That store actually was pretty slow and my comments on GateGuru (app on iOS that has airport info, reviews, TSA checkpoint times, etc.) reflected it. By that time it was time to get going. The a/c was inbound from MCO and boarding began a bit late due to the fact that people have to disembark and servicing.
Old May 4, 2012, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Dl127 jfk-fll

DL127 (DL127 runs a 767 MAD-JFK, 738 JFK-FLL)
JFK-FLL
737-832(WL) (738) N376DA (1st 738 with winglets)
12A
JFK Gate departure: T3 Gate 2, Scheduled 3:29pm, Actual 3:45pm (-16)
JFK Takeoff: Scheduled 3:49pm, Actual 4:38pm (-49)
FLL Landing: Scheduled 6:22pm, Actual 6:58pm (-36)
FLL Gate arrival: Gate D1, Scheduled 6:50pm, Actual 7:01pm (-11)

N376DA JFK-FLL by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

By the time it came to board, SP was called and we went up. There was a guy in front of us who was denied because he was boarding out of his zone. The male GA who was scanning took my mom, and then tried to get the guy out of the area. I had a mobile BP so I decided to go ahead and scan myself, again because that’s what the customer is supposed to do. My mom was freaking out again, but the female GA who was making the announcements heard my mom address me by my name, and then took me on the scanner. Then she thanked me by name. I was astonished by her doing that, it was nice.

JFK rotunda by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

Once I was on board, I could instantly see that this bird has been in service for a long time. The seat map had 12B as a preferred seat so I assumed it was an EC aircraft. There must have been an aircraft change because that a/c didn’t have EC. It was simply a regular 738. 12B eventually got occupied by somebody since it was a full flight. We eventually got going out of the gate, to end up waiting to take off in a long line. ATC was organizing it so a/c were taking off of 31L and landing on 31R. We were easily 20 planes back. After a long wait, we took off and headed towards Florida. It was a normal flight – however for a flight that is over 2 hours long I was expecting that there would have been a movie. Instead there were just some TV episodes. It was a bit bumpy at times but otherwise smooth. We were over the ocean for the flight but headed west to land on 9L. Despite leaving late and the long takeoff queue we arrived only 11 minutes late.
Old May 4, 2012, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Stay in Florida

We went to Payless rental for the rental car. It was a Kia Soul – not really a fan of Kia’s, Hyundai’s, etc. The car was fine though.

Delray Beach, FL by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

We were just enjoying the break and the time with my grandma especially since it was a quick trip. On Saturday my Grandpa and I went to the Red Sox/Marlins pre-season game in Jupiter. Like I had heard and thought the game wasn’t all that exciting compared to a regular season game at Fenway. The only player I recognized was David Ortiz, but I enjoyed watching the other players play. Not all of them are perfect and that’s what those games are for.

Red Sox/Marlins, Jupiter, FL by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

Saturday night however, went different than planned. To make a long story short, my grandma who is 80 has Alzheimer’s and my grandpa is the one left to take care of her. Her short term memory is the thing that is lacking and it’s hard for my grandpa to deal with. The whole reason why my mom wanted to go down was to visit and help. My mom and grandma went to the mall, and my grandma got a piece of clothing that still had one of those tan security tags on it. My mom wanted to go back to the mall to get the tag off and look at a few other things. My grandpa was annoyed with the fact that she did that and therefore we didn’t have dinner with them. He also was annoyed with how my mom thinks that she can just call to a pharmacy and get an order filled for a prescription that was 3 years old.
Anyway they ended up verbally arguing to the point where we quickly packed up our things and left. We drove down to the Marriott near FLL, due to a convention it was booked full. They did make a reservation for us in Coral Springs. Just by looking at the name Coral Springs I thought it was to the north and as west as the MIA/FLL/PBI metro area goes. I was correct. It was almost where we started from, and all the way to the west. The hotel was nice though from what I got out of ~6 hours of being there.

We were up at 3am on our way back home. Getting to FLL was a lot quicker than what I thought it was going to be. We got at the rental car return at 4am or so after leaving Coral Springs at 3:20am. The return process was quicker than what I thought it would be and we were actually inside the airport by 4:15. To my surprise TSA was opening at 4:30. There were these two guys there that sounded like they were still intoxicated. They were on the 7:45a flight to DTW. When I last flew out of FLL in the early morning TSA was restrictive on flight departure time. Not today because there was a line of people waiting before the gate was pulled up. The SP lane was not open I guess because the line barrier still had it closed off. Somehow somebody opened it up and we went over there. Another TSA officer was directing people what lane to go into. We got put in the slowest line open at the moment. After getting through there was only one store open right next to security. What a great time to take some pictures. I started off by that window space to the left of D9 and headed towards D6.

FLL early morning by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

My bags, TSA lice by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

N683DA by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

757 and mad dog parked on tarmac by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

757 at D8 by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

There were 3 agents working the 1st flight out to ATL. I didn’t expect the lice to be that bad for an early Sunday morning. It seemed like it was going to be a relatively quiet flight. The GAs thanked us on behalf of all the FLL ground crew.

N584NW (753) at D7 FLL by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

5:30am at FLL by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr
Old May 4, 2012, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

DL2127

DL2127
FLL-ATL
757-251(WL) (75M) N554NW (1st 75M)
17F
FLL Gate departure: Gate D6, Scheduled 5:45am, Actual 5:43am (+2)
FLL Takeoff: Scheduled 6:00am, Actual 6:07am (-7)
ATL Landing: Landed on schedule at 7:30am
ATL Gate arrival: Gate B33, Scheduled 7:44am, Actual 7:40am (+4)

Upon boarding, I noticed that there was a galley with 2R and thought there was some sort of modification. I checked the seat map – there must have been an equip swap overnight because we were on a 75M. Just like last year when I took the 5:45a out of PBI it was pretty quiet on board. We pushed on time, and got brought out to the taxiway. Then suddenly everything on the aircraft just shut off. It was literally dead silent. No noise at all. Then everything turned back on, and the captain came on and said that the APU went out.

We were going off of 27R for ATL. I believe that is the first time that I’ve taken off in the early morning that it was still dark out. Last year when I departed PBI in the early morning it was April and sunrise just started. There was a quick cabin service but otherwise it was calm and quiet onboard. It was nice to see the sunrise and the coastline as we were heading north. Not much else to report. We landed on 27L.

Still sunrise in ATL by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr
Old May 4, 2012, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Layover in ATL

It was another quick connection for me in ATL. Not much to report from here either. It was just a quick walk down the concourse and I was at the connecting gate. Lots of morning departures. As always there are particularly mad dogs heading to such places as BUF, ALB, BDL, PVD, etc. It was busy as always. Like I’ve said before there is no harm in moving some domestic departures to E, with the a/c not always coming from an international destination.

Intl departure out of B in ATL by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

M88 ATL by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

N675DL by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr
Old May 4, 2012, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

DL1700

DL1700
ATL-BOS
757-232 (752) N675DL
20F
ATL Gate departure: Gate B7, Scheduled 8:35am, Actual 8:29am (+6)
ATL Takeoff: Scheduled 8:42am, Actual 8:49am (-7)
BOS Landing: Scheduled 10:38am, Actual 10:48am (-10)
BOS Gate arrival: Gate A14, Scheduled 11:23am, Actual 10:59am (+24)

N915DE B9 ATL by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

N975DL engine by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

Busy ATL morning by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

Boarding was normal and I was welcomed aboard by a strong, confident, friendly LFA. She said “Good morning, welcome aboard” to everyone that walked on. Luckily the middle seat was empty so we had the 3 seats to ourselves. We pushed back on time and headed out to 27R. It is nice to see the runway getting extended a bit, to accommodate the A380 of it comes right? Anyway we got into position, and eventually got going. It was a typical ATL-BOS really. Normal cabin service and the flight crew was a nice group. It was a pretty fast and straight in approach to Boston. It was a cloudy day, just like it was when I came back from my 2nd trip last year. We landed on 4R and I actually got to see Castle Island for the first time while on final approach.

Taxiing on 22R, BOS by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

We then taxiied on 22R and went straight for A14. There was a M88 that was next door going to ATL.

Taxiing on 22R, BOS by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

AA 757 while taxiing on 22R, BOS by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr
Old May 4, 2012, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

That concludes my TR! I have a TR to write for SEA which I hope to do tonight. I will also post youtube links on the 1st post. Thank you for reading!
Old May 5, 2012, 12:55 am

Programs: SkyMiles NonRev Medallion
Great TR with excellent photos!! Thanks for your loyalty to Delta!! Also, I don't mind if a passenger scans his or her own BP as I sometimes need a little break when boarding a full flight!
Old May 5, 2012, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
wow - what a great thread - thanks for posting
Old May 5, 2012, 11:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Great report!

You would be surprised as to how busy the E concourse stays throughout the day. And you have to remember that you not only have the Asian, DXB, South American and TLV arrivals, they also need to keep the gates open for the early bank of Caribbean arrivals as well. No other concourse has FIS (until 5/16) and planes break, crews can arrive late, etc and that would essentially be blocking an international arrival. That being said, I have had some early AM departures from the E gates before and that's quite a haul from any concourse. I can't wait until I have a short connection from the low T gates to the F concourse lol
Old May 7, 2012, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! What a fabulous TR! Why I haven't been in FLL for a long time. I can see the entire DL terminal 2. Its getting more extremely overcrowded. Didn't you ever meet my friend who work for DL in FLL during early morning. You should say hello to them next time. I do miss FLL very much. That's why I couldn't get ticket to FLL anymore. It's getting more extremely expensive due to cruise passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.