FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Another trip on DL to Florida, March 2012
Old May 4, 2012, 7:35 pm
N639DL

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Day of Departure

So my mom is one of those people that can’t make up her mind, and when she does she’s not realistic. A good example is how this day started off. We left around 10:30am or so for a 12:30pm flight. It takes about a half hour or so to get to the airport, and then go park in economy parking. I was new to the economy parking garage, the last time I was there was when there was no garage and you had to wait 20 minutes for the shuttle bus. I just absolutely hate Massport. Their shuttle system is horrendous. Anyway my mom just doesn’t allot for time when it is needed most. I just wanted to be at the airport early to eat, take a few pictures and then go. I don’t need to be there at 5am but just a decent amount of time would have been nice. Anyway once we got to Terminal A, I quickly printed out the BPs and went to TSA. There were only one or two people ahead of us in the SP lane, so that went rather quickly. Once past TSA, we went and got some Wendy’s. I went to go eat it by the gate.

N325NB BOS-LGA by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr
At A4 was N325NB which was a 2:30p shuttle to LGA. I wondered why that plane didn’t go earlier. A3 was the 11:30am shuttle and A2 was the 12:30pm shuttle. I was sitting right next to A3’s scanner, and two pilots came up and sat nearby. They were on a shuttle down to LGA as they had BPs; one of them said “ugh, this is a shuttle.”

There were a bunch of other FAs that were NRSAing down to NYC to position for a flight. I knew there were going to be NRSAs and people making international connections in JFK but I didn’t expect that it would be mostly international connections. Soon enough it came time to board. The crowd was absurd really. I just hate how everyone chooses to stand in the path. If a person is standing to the side and out of the way that is fine. Ideally a person should be able to walk from the main path across the concourse/terminal up to the scanner. This group of 4 or 5 people were trying to board but were declined. They were standing next to the other scanner, almost through the door. When SP got called almost everyone stayed where they were and we went up. The group tried to board again but the GA was actually beginning to get angry and told them that they were zone 3, please get out of the way because you’re not boarding. The GA was taking care of my mom’s pink tag while I scanned my own mBP. My mom was freaking out saying that I shouldn’t do that. The GA actually said nice job to me, since it saved her 5 seconds even though she should have been trained to let the customer do it themself. After we got rolling I mentioned to her that they are trained to let the customer do it.

Anyway I had never been on a flight that departed out of the A1-A12 terminal. It has always been satellite for me. A1 actually has a long walk and I was surprised to hear that zone 1 was called when I was just about to enter the jet bridge. The ramp agent who was taking bags was nice. I walked on board; my first impression was the CR9 was a bit smaller than I thought it would be. I didn’t like how the window was misaligned. The overheads could take a basic under-seat item.