Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific and Qantas First Class SFO-HKG-MEL-SYD-LAX including QF A380 First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific and Qantas First Class SFO-HKG-MEL-SYD-LAX including QF A380 First

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Plt, BA, SPG Plt
Your trip reports are so inspiring SFO. Thank you so much for taking the time do make them for us ^
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Hong Kong
Day 1

Unfortunately, the Ngong Ping 360 cable car from Tung Chung to Big Buddha was not operating. So we were stuck on the #23 bus ride for 35 minutes of winding roads and changing elevations. So glad Mrs. SFO wasn't with us. But once at the top, it was well worth the effort.

Some wonderful scenery today...

And it is so sweet to see father/daughter days. LOL.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:07 pm
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA5E
Fantastic TR, so loved all the food on CX, gosh i nearly grabbed it off your tray. Look forward to the next installments.^
Thanks BA5E. The food was outstanding!

Originally Posted by shuckit
One of the things I like most about your reports, besides the well framed and in focus pictures, is the timely manner of your updates. I'm enjoying the armchair ride immensely. Keep up the great reporting!
Thanks shuckit. I enjoy writing about each part of the journey. I've found it the best way to remember our travels.

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Great pics as always. If I may ask, why didn't you do the RC Hong Kong? Seems like place to stay (I'm staying in a Club Level room in June) but you can't go wrong with MO HK. Also, that property has a distinctive valet box feature to pass newspapers, shoe shine, etc which I didn't see in your photo.
Thanks AAerSTL. I didn't even know about the RC until we were in HK. Wow, it looks simply stunning. We visited it the morning we left HKG and we will likely try it next trip. BTW, I took lots of pics and will post them shortly. No regrets about the MO though. It is an amazing hotel in a great location. Indeed, the MO valet box feature is wonderful. I simply forget about it when I was taking the pics.

Originally Posted by lavag
Your trip reports are so inspiring SFO. Thank you so much for taking the time do make them for us ^
Thank you lavag for your kind comments... much appreciated.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hong Kong
Day 1

Since we passed on the street food at Buddha, we were starving by the time we got back to Tung Chung at about 2:45P. There is a shopping centre at the station with a huge food court. After a quick walk around to assess the options we made a good choice.

More sights of the city as we take the MTR back to Central.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:09 pm
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks WChou. No McNugget count this year?
This year it's how many miles worth of sandwiches I can eat.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hong Kong
The IC Bar, Symphony of Lights and Spoon

For dinner tonight, Mrs. SFO opted to return to one of her faves, Spoon by Alain Ducasse. Although the rooms need a make-over, the Intercontinental has one of the best locations in Hong Kong. And the lobby bar has to have one of the most spectacular views anywhere. Even better during the Symphony of Lights and sound. ^

Another amazing culinary treat tonight. But, no food shots as Mrs. SFO warns "give a rest" tonight.
Apparently pics of the interior of Spoon are OK though.

And a few outdoor pic before our taxi ride back to Hong Kong.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:10 pm
Old Feb 23, 2012, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hong Kong
Day 2
Star Ferry and The Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong at The ICC Centre

Only a 10 minute walk from the MO to the Star Ferry Terminal, past the new Apple store. At only HKD$2.50 (US$0.35) one way, what a bargain.

We used our 24 hour MTR pass to navigate our way to the ICC Centre.

And then to the 106th floor lobby entrance of the RC. What an absolutely amazing view from the two restaurants on 106. Unfortunately, Ozone Lounge on the 118th does not open until noon.

Back down at street level...

Next up: Goose lunch with Short hair Francis

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:16 pm
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Lounge and crew were great, food was so-so, but... the ancient, ugly 744 cabin and old narrow seats were really weak. And 14 pax stuffed into the pointy end. Wow, no wonder UA can survive on the SFO/LAX-SYD routes.
I was thinking maybe I should have just gone with CX J on this one.
Ugh
No you don't, HKG-MEL is on a old herringbone J, if you thought the 744 F was narrow, think again
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: Scotia Points, Aeroplan, Nexus, Global Entry
Damn the RC looks awesome!!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond

Thanks AAerSTL. I didn't even know about the RC until we were in HK. Wow, it looks simply stunning. We visited it the morning we left HKG and we will likely try it next trip. BTW, I took lots of pics and will post them shortly. No regrets about the MO though. It is an amazing hotel in a great location. Indeed, the MO valet box feature is wonderful. I simply forget about it when I was taking the pics.
Again, phenomenal. Really looking forward to my stay there, just hope we actually leave the hotel and explore Hong Kong
Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:00 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Oh wow, those photos of HKG were fantastic, made me feel that i need to go back again,to be honest have not been there since it became china, so that shows how long ago that was. The photos from the IC Bar were amazing. think you top everyones TR with all the super photos, maybe there should be a competition for the best TR photos. Keep it coming, and look forward to the next stage of your trip. ^
Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Amazing TR SFO 777 just like many others you have done. Very inspiring ^

I've been reading this one from the start. The clarity in your photos in incredible and lots of them too which I really, really like. ^

My favourite part of Flyertalk is the TR Forum and probably always will be! Thanks for sharing, it really is appreciated. I must get a new camera after witnessing this!

Cheers

Pete
Old Feb 24, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
The new camera has really upped your game SFO777

Nice work. I really want to visit Hong Kong now. ^
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA, DL Gold, HH Gold
SFO777, Was that red car your ride in Hong Kong? I wonder how many miles would be needed to rent that car, if the possibility even existed.

I'm looking forward to your comments on QF, because I'll be flying on the a380 F cabin, and would like to now what to expect.

Thanks for another great TR.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
that ride was only for the boys going out on the town, I couldn't see Mrs. SFO taking a taxi why the boys were in the red car...

Originally Posted by MrDplus
SFO777, Was that red car your ride in Hong Kong? I wonder how many miles would be needed to rent that car, if the possibility even existed.

I'm looking forward to your comments on QF, because I'll be flying on the a380 F cabin, and would like to now what to expect.

Thanks for another great TR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.