Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific and Qantas First Class SFO-HKG-MEL-SYD-LAX including QF A380 First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific and Qantas First Class SFO-HKG-MEL-SYD-LAX including QF A380 First

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2012, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

It's been a year since our first CX flights and I am so excited to be back flying one of the world's great airlines. This time, we're on a CX 744 for the first time. And Mrs. SFO and I are taking one of our sons to Australia. Until now his idea of a great plane ride had been an exit row on F9. While SYD-LAX F award seats were surprisingly easy to find, LAX-SYD was impossible. The solution was to spend a few extra AAdvantage miles and route via HKG, one of our favorite cities.

-Cathay Pacific First Class and Business Class Lounge at SFO
-CX 879 First Class SFO-HKG
-Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong
-Hong Kong: The Peak Tram
-Hong Kong: Big Buddha
-Hong Kong: Symphony of Lights
-Hong Kong: Star Ferry, ICC Centre and the Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong
-Hong Kong: Goose Lunch with Short hair Francis
-Qantas First Class Lounge at HKG
-QF 30 First Class HKG-MEL
-The Lyall Hotel - Melbourne
-Yarra Valley Wine Country
-Qantas Business Class Lounge at MEL
-QF 434 Business Class MEL-SYD
-Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
-Sydney: Taronga Zoo, Watsons Bay and Doyles
-Sydney: HSBC Waratahs vs. Queensland Reds @ ANZ Stadium
-Sydney: Seaplane and lunch at Cottage Point Inn Restaurant
-Sydney Bridge Climb
-Qantas First Class Lounge at SYD
-Qantas 107 First Class 744 SYD-LAX
-Qantas 11 First Class A380 SYD-LAX
-AA FL at LAX
-AA 1296 First Class LAX-SFO

Although I had OLCI'd two days earlier, we stopped at the check-in counter for the doc check and to get "real" BPs. With KE and OZ departures, the A pier security was pretty busy with at least 100 pax snaking their way thru the regular non-priority queue. But with only 5 pax ahead of us in the F/J queue, we were through security in less than 5 minutes.

Cathay Pacific First Class and Business Class Lounge at SFO

Until it opened it's own lounge in December, CX used the BA Terraces Lounge. Although the food offerings were weak and access to the First Class room was not controlled, the direct and convenient boarding access to the jet bridge at Gates A6 was a big plus. IMO, CX fumbled the ball on the new SFO lounge. The new CX lounge is located with most of the other pier A lounges (except EK and BA who snagged the best locations) just inside security but a long trek upstairs and down a narrow corridor. Unfortunately, as the last one to build, CX got the furthest location from the gates.

A long, long walk down to CX...

While a separate lounge is a nice idea, IMO the lounge is a disappointment. Way too far a hike, lousy views and too small a space for the number of seats and a today's full complement of F & J pax. And the lack of a separate F lounge is a huge no-no. What were they thinking? As much as I complained about the BA lounge, I'd just as soon go back and use that, especially given the direct boarding feature. I think that CX would have been better served working a deal with BA to upgrade the Terraces lounge.

A rather basic selection of serve yourself food is available including some made to order items from the kitchen, although the menu and protocol were unclear.

The eggs and sausage were actually quite good.

I didn't realize until I was doing the photo edit but, once again, I was on the receiving end of the "evil eye" as the chef was apparently none too happy that I was snapping pics.

Up next: Lounge hopping at SFO

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 15, 2012 at 9:38 pm
Old Feb 19, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue
What a great picture there at the end!

Good luck loungehopping!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA, DL, LH
Originally Posted by SFO777
I didn't realize until I was doing the photo edit but, once again, I was on the receiving end of the "evil eye" as the chef was apparently none too happy that I was snapping pics.

Up next: Lounge hopping at SFO
Not the evil eye again!!! Looking forward to the QF segments, as well as the Mandarin Oriental in HKG.
It's refreshing to see you flying QF and CX instead of LH
Best regards
Old Feb 19, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Another great report in the making. Can't wait to read the rest of it.^^^
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Always look forward to your reports SFO777 - can't wait for further installments!
Old Feb 20, 2012, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

Time to head out and check out the competition. Lining the long corridor walls just outside the CX lounge are some cool vintage CX poster pics.

The AF l'Espace Lounge doubles as the KE lounge in the morning.

Didn't pop into the Asiana lounge but it has the most impressive entrance of the lounges.

Believe it or not, I'd almost have preferred the DL SkyClub which is much more conveniently located on the concourse level and with, hands down, the best lounge views in the terminal. Pleasant dragon thanked me for being a Delta Diamond Medallion and explained that although DL now only operates 5 weekly SFO-NRT flights, they are generally quite busy as the lounge is used by KL, AF overflow, Air Berlin and Air Canada among others.

The great view from the DL SkyClub...

In the concourse itself, presumably EK outbid CX for the primo concourse level location.

One stop for a new trashy spy novel and it's back upstairs to round up the group, who were surfing the internet using the free CX wifi and classy wifi password card.

Next up: CX879F SFO-HKG

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 15, 2012 at 9:39 pm
Old Feb 20, 2012, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
OMG this is unbearable already

How many hours am I going to spend looking at this - just love your reports.

You're right about the CX lounge; as their flights don't clash with BA's I can't understand why they didn't invest in improving the BA lounge and making a shared facility there, which as you say is a much better location.

Keep it coming......^
Old Feb 20, 2012, 4:34 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Looking like a First class TR - enjoying already.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 5:19 am

Programs: CX DM
me three ! can't wait ! esp the CX F segment
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
I sure hope the food is good tomorrow otherwise I'm gonna get dissected by you on Trip Report lol
Old Feb 20, 2012, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

CX 879
SFO-HKG
747-400
February 18, 2012
11:50A-6:50P +1 (sked)
11:50A-6:49P +1 (actual)
Departed 8/9
Seats 1A, 1K and 2A

Since Mrs. SFO is nursing a torn ACL (surgery when we come home) and is moving a little slowly, we head out for the gate at about T-50. She declined the wheel chair at SFO, but agreed on one in HKG. Double door boarding with the F/J/MP priority door remarkably lice light.

Boarding thru 1L and we were welcomed and shown to our seats by Esther, one of our three lovely FA's today. Both Pamela and Joni stopped by shortly thereafter to welcome us as well. And today's first glass of Krug!

Two days ago, we were the only 3 pax in F, and I had fleeting visions of another private charter. Alas that didn't happen as 5 more last minute additions made this a nearly full cabin today. Nice colors and soothing lighting in the cabin.

Our Shanghai Tang PJs...

Great airplane watching on push-back on a gorgeous sunny day in the Bay.

Cleared for take-off on 28R and a great view from 1A.

More spectacular views on our climb.

Up next: Excellent food and CX upgrades the wine-list!

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 15, 2012 at 9:42 pm
Old Feb 20, 2012, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
OMG this is unbearable already
How many hours am I going to spend looking at this - just love your reports.
You're right about the CX lounge; as their flights don't clash with BA's I can't understand why they didn't invest in improving the BA lounge and making a shared facility there, which as you say is a much better location.
Keep it coming......^
Thanks so much Betteronacamel!
Glad it's not just me thinking what the heck were they thinking on the lounge?

Originally Posted by amaroo
Looking like a First class TR - enjoying already.
Thank you amaroo!

Originally Posted by marcuslai
me three ! can't wait ! esp the CX F segment
Thanks marcuslai. Lots of food pics coming up. I even pulled a Short hair Francis and had two lunch mains.

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
I sure hope the food is good tomorrow otherwise I'm gonna get dissected by you on Trip Report lol
I hadn't thought of that but what a great idea!
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Great report. We're on the 879 early next month.

You flew on one of the ex-SQ B744s, one of the few pax B744s in the CX fleet powered by Pratt & Whitney PW4056 engines.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Looking forward to this!
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Gulf Air Falconflyer Gold
Love reading your trip reports, so much attention to detail. Reading this brings back wonderful memories from my first CX F trip last month, and makes me wish the next one were in March instead of May!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.