Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Wait, Didn’t you just had a RTW trip this year (AA F, CX F, TK F/J, LH F/J, UA F)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wait, Didn’t you just had a RTW trip this year (AA F, CX F, TK F/J, LH F/J, UA F)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2011, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Part 8 – Only a ½ year late, United P.S First JFK-SFO

Check in early this morning, no crowds at the First Class counter. Security was running with all the nude-o-scopes. Got the full waistband check for the first time. This is really going to be the death of my frequent flying career. I don’t know how the weekly flyers deal with it but I see myself getting some sort of cancer by going through all those backscatters x-rays. The Male assist took approx. 5 mins, at least the TSA guy was generally good about it. Can’t say the same thing in BOS the next month, my balls still hurted after that pat-down.

Jan 10, 2011 – Monday
UA 5 JFK-SFO 7:05am – 11:05am (752/F)

It took me a couple of mins to find the UA lounge, didn’t know it was hidden behind the BA terraces I’ve used in my previous travels.
Hmm, bagels, croissants, danishs, but sushi and sandwiches in the fridge, it is lunchtime in London, chow time

New York Kennedy United First Class Lounge

United Airlines 5
New York Kennedy to San Francisco
7:05am – 11:00am, 6 hr 55 min flight
First Class, Seat 2C
Food – Breakfast, Light Snack
Equipment – Boeing 757-200 Premium Service Configuration

Go down to the gate and it was gate lice ultimate. I’m not very used to United Boarding, either way I severely dislike it. A 1K, GS and First Class boarding all at once was just insane, that’s like half the plane on a Monday morning. Compared to American, where First and only First Class always board first, the United process seem so much more of a hassle. By the time I got into the F cabin, 2 thirds of the seats were already occupied. My cabin and seat shots were therefore deferred to the end of the flight as a result.

United Airlines P.S First Class Cabin

Fiddle with the United First Seat, I like this seat. For the record, I’m not a little person but I have significantly shorter legs than most North American males. This seat is way more comfortable for me in terms of recline, sleep and lounging. The only fault I found compared to the American 3 class product was that the drink area was way smaller and there are also less overall storage space around the seat.
The audio programming with Zune and channel 9 seem to keep me a lot better entertained than most of my American flights.

Take off took approx. 45 mins wait, back to the old JFK, your 15th in line for take-off
As stated by many others from the United forum, the New York City based crew was fantastic, I wish sometimes I can say the same for American crew, I always find AA NYC based crew the most troublesome in my experience.

UA 5 Breakfast

To Begin
Fresh from the bakery
A selection of scones, croissants, and bagels with butter, cream cheese and fruit preserves

A healthy start
Fresh seasonal fruit plate
Blueberry yogurt parfait

Main Course
Herb Omelette
With oven-roasted potatoes, sautéed spinach, and chicken sausage

European Deli plate with Swiss and brie cheese
Black Forest ham, turkey, and genoa salami

Some meat in my breakfast, this is a nice change of pace! I could use a change of pace from my standard cheese omelette on midcons. The egg didn’t taste great but some sausage was nice. For the majority of this flight, I used the gogo, but I kept using the zune music and channel 9.

I like United’s idea of having a light snack right before landing. It was an alright snack but at least it shows an effort from the airline.

UA 5 Light Snack

A selection of baba Ghanoush and Hummus Dips
With toasted whole-wheat triangles, lavosh and vegetable crudite

Warm Chocolate Chip Cookies

We were right on schedule for arrival into San Francisco
A nice weather day into SFO, and the start of 3 straight days of mileage runs awaits

Next Part
Part 9 – Slaving away at the SlAAveship, 2.5 Mileage Runs of SFO-DFW
Old Apr 19, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: QR
Nice TR, keep them coming
Old Apr 22, 2011, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Part 9 – Slaving away at the SlAAveship, 2.5 Mileage Runs of SFO-DFW

A 5 min walk into the SFO AC and I’m all set for 3 straight days of Mileage Running. To put into perspective, it is extremely difficult for me to reposition for MRs, the sake of getting to the starting point as well as custom crossing keep my MRs to a minimum. That being said, when I do MR, I tend to put it to an extreme. With the double elite mile offer AA put out on DFW-LAX/SFO in Dec 2010, I simply went crazy and book 3 straight days of MR. So if you have kept up with the rest of this TR, I ended up flying 16 segments during the 7 day span.

Jan 10, 2011 – Monday
AA 2282 SFO-DFW 1:15pm – 6:45pm (752/F)
AA 1626 DFW-BNA 8:25pm – 10:05pm (S80/F)

Jan 11, 2011 – Tuesday
AA 323 BNA-DFW 7:10am – 9:25am (S80/F)
AA 1461 DFW-SFO 10:05am – 12:05pm (752/F)
AA 1826 DFW-ICT 8:25pm – 9:35pm (S80/F)

Jan 12, 2011 – Wednesday
AA 1789 ICT-DFW 6:40am – 8:05am (S80/F)
AA 1965 DFW-SFO 8:55am – 10:55am (752/F)
AA 420 DFW-YYZ 7:45pm – 11:30pm (738/J)

Sunny day in SFO, during entire MR, eastbound flight was significantly faster than block time and westbound continuously ran late the full time. These MRs turn out to be stubbornly tough upgrades ex-SFO onboard 2282, T-24, T-4 and the last flight needed a EVIP.

2282 on 1/10 ended up having 8 people on the upgrade list

American Airlines 2282
San Francisco to Dallas Ft. Worth
1:15pm – 6:45pm, 3 hr 30 min flight
First Class, Seat 4E
Food – Lunch
Equipment – Boeing 757-200(22F)

AA 2282 Lunch

To start
Warm Mixed Nuts

Sides
Pita chips with hummus
Side Greek Salad with chopped tomatoes and cucumber with feta cheese and Creamy ranch dressing

Main Course
Chicken Club Salad
Grilled Chicken on Mixed Greens served with cherry tomatoes, grated cheese and pepper cream dressing

Or Cheeseburger
Juicy beef patty burger served with lettuce, tomatoes and pickles with condiments of mustard, mayonnaise and ketchup. A bag of Mrs. Vickies on the side

Dessert

Freshly baked on board cookies (Chocolate Chip)

What’s worse than being a Mid-con Slut, I’m known to my NYC based friends as such due to my travel patterns, pardon my language here. Your meal choices never seem to change. And nothing can be better than to have the cheeseburger on 2282. Unless I’m trying to get a heart attack by 30, thanks for the reminder “Supersize Me”. I was basically stuck with the Chicken Club Salad for 3 straight days for dinner.

2282 went pretty smooth, nothing special happen. And really wish the powerport were functional again. Guess AA has too many beancounter. Snow in DFW, uh oh! Transfer over to A33 for the BNA flight. Nothing special yet at least.

American Airlines 1626
Dallas Ft. Worth to Nashville
8:25pm – 10:05pm, 1 hr 40 min flight
First Class, Seat 4E
Food – Beverage Service
Equipment – McDonnall Douglas MD 80

So bloody tired, I was still on London time I think, I guess it is pretty hard to go from HKG on 1/5, to LHR 1/9 to NYC 1/10 to SFO 1/11. Simply passed out the entire flight and woke up on landing. And looking for a quick turn in BNA. Yay, BNA in January can’t be too bad, it is the South afterall. Nah, we’re going to 33F and 3 inches of snow in Tennessee.

Hyatt Place Nashville Airport

Shuttle pick-up was pretty quick, within 5 mins of a phone call. HP BNA is as simply as reported in the Hyatt forum, they tend to have disappearing front desk agent, a very noisy air conditioner but a 10pm-7am turn, I can’t be too picky personally. Get to the room, pass out to 4am. Back out to BNA again, one of the things I like flying into BNA is the Admiral’s Club and I got to use it today

Nashville Airport

Got to the check-in line at 5:40am, nothing special here, did a self opt-out by by-passing a nude-o-scope. The nudey did get install when I went to BNA again in Feb.

Nashville Admiral’s Club

When I go down to the South, the most important thing for me is a glass of sweet tea

I find the Nashville operation as somewhat similar to Toronto, they seem to have a couple of flights that aren’t totally expected. They have the ORD,DFW, MIA and LGA flight but they also have a DCA and LAX flight which is a bit interesting. The BNA AAngels had some fun figuring my Sat at the lounge for about 20 mins checking up my email then down to the gate C3.

American Airlines 323
Nashville to Dallas Ft. Worth
7:10am – 9:25am, 2 hr 15 min flight
First Class, Seat 3E
Food – Beverage Service

Remember that 33F! You know your in the South when you get de-iced by a guy in a Hazmat suit.

The de-icing made my connection in DFW to under 30 mins, C31 to A15. What’s worse is if I miss my connection, I screwed up my next 7 flights since I’ll misconnect tonight in DFW to ICT. Ugh ugh ugh! I can’t breath running up and down the skylink. Ran over to the gate, agh they haven’t gave away my First Class seat. And yes it’s a new 752 so I get power today.

American Airlines 1461
Dallas Ft. Worth to San Francisco
10:05am – 12:05pm, 4 hr flight
First Class, Seat 5B
Food – Lunch
Equipment – Boeing 757-200 (24F)

The westbound SFO flight were a total 180 from eastbound flight, both upgrades cleared at T-108.
The flight was just long long long, gate to gate time was 4 hrs 23 mins, headwinds were simply brutal and todays SFO weather was rainy compared to Monday

AA 1461 Lunch

To start
Warm Mixed Nuts

Sides
Pita chips with hummus
Side Salad with green pepper and tomatoes on Greek Vinaigrette

Main Course

Chicken Sandwich
Creamy White Chicken with red pepper served on Flatbread

Or Salmon Salad
Grilled Salmon on Mixed Greens served with Mandarin Orange and Raspberry Vinigrette

Dessert
Freshly baked on board cookies (Oatmeal Cranberry)

Land into rainy SFO, the whole gate area is a mess due all the flights running late, I guess I don’t like doing too much SFO flights if you ask me. Stupid fog, hard to clear upgrades, expensive public transport.
Went inside the AC for about 10 mins, double check some stuff then back to the gate, during this time, I met Flyer_70 at the gate area, we swapped stories at the DFW A club after the flight.

American Airlines 2282
First Class, Seat 6B
Food – Lunch
Equipment – Boeing 757-200(24F)

Flight was about 25 mins late but with that now tailwind, we landed 15 mins early, and I cheated. I told the FAs I was coming back on the flight from DFW-SFO so they hid a Chicken club salad for me on this flight. Don’t think AA wants their customer to have health conditions right.

American Airlines 1826
Dallas Ft. Worth to Wichita
8:25pm – 9:35pm, 1 hr 40 min flight
First Class, Seat 6E
Food – Beverage Service

This was by far the most awkward flight I’ve seen, every passenger in F was wider in terms of the waist than I am. And I’m not skinny by any means. This upgrade cleared only at T-48, who knew you had to wait on ICT, lol.
Same as the DFW-BNA flight, pass out again before leaving the gate, my time are finally starting to get adjusted. Zzzz……

Unlike most people that did the SFO-DFW MRs, AUS, BDL, BNA, DCA, MCO, MKE, TPA were just some popular turnaround. Why would I choose ICT? Especially in January. Again this falls back on my North American segments, 16 hr turn on 1/9, 9 hr turn on 1/10, I would have a 4 hr turn on 1/12 between airport and 8am lecture. With the above precedent set, I had the choice was of a 10 hr turn in ICT or a 5 hr turn in TPA, hotel and airfare were the same but ICT yield slightly less miles than TPA. That being said, 16 segments in 7 days is still a tall order for most so I choose sleep over miles. Plus who doesn’t want to go to Kansas in January Most probably put that in the same order as going to Buffalo in Jan I certainly got a lot of question that month later on, Wichita, Kansas? Really? LOL

Landing into cold Wichita, Kansas, outside temperature -4 F, windchill -14 F. Ugh, that’s sheer cold even for me although I did hit -28F/-42F windchill later that month in Montreal. Walk out to baggage claim for another hotel shuttle bus, where did that FT tag that just walked past me???
An FTer out of ICT? He ended up coming back 5 mins later in the baggage claim and I introduced myself as whom I was and he was 365roadwarrior

Part 9 Continues Below
Old Apr 22, 2011, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Fortunately we were both heading to the Hyatt Regency Wichita so we got to share stories and battle for the last king room of the property, both of us were Hyatt Diamond but he’s stays there way more often than I do.

Some more trading stories, and thanks for the advice about the Hyatt Private Line agent 365roadwarrior, she is wonderful by the way

Shower, then another bed. 1 more day to go. Zzz….

Woke up at 4am, for a 4:30am shuttle, wow ICT looks like it came out of a John Wayne movie, the terminal was so 50-60’s, they however offered complementary wifi, can’t say the same for most airports.

American Airlines 1789
Wichita to Dallas Ft. Worth
6:40am – 8:05am, 1 hr 25 min flight
First Class, Seat 3E
Food – Beverage Service

Another Dr. Pepper and Biscoffs for breakfast, sure. The de-icing slightly delay the flight arrival to 8:20am, but nothing like yesterday’s

American Airlines 1965
Dallas Ft. Worth to San Francisco
8:55am – 10:55am, 4 hr flight
First Class, Seat 2E
Food – Breakfast
Equipment – Boeing 757-200 (22F)

AA 1965 Breakfast

Sides
Cinnamon Raison Bagel or Biscult
Side Fruit Plate

Main Course
Cheese Omelette
A cheddar Cheese Omelette with hash browns and cheddar and gravy sauce

Cereal
Kellogg Corn Flakes served with or without milk

Ok, last turn in SFO, I deliberately put additional turn-time on this final day in case anything went wrong, I had to go home that night. Plus I had to get all my prep for school done today, 13 readings were already waiting sitting on my lap that needed to be printed out and read. Additionally, my ride home had ditched on me, she had a mechanical cancellation on me which left me a bit scrambling for a way of getting home.

American Airlines 2282
First Class, Seat 1E
Food – Lunch
Equipment – Boeing 757-200(22F)

This 2282 was the hardest of all to cleared, sensing no chance of X class, I relegated of using up some expiring EVIPs since I didn’t have any long haul trips coming up. Another chicken club salad, wow man I’m getting sick of this meal too. Thank god I don’t have any flights for the foreseeable future, that’s
way too many airline meals in too short of a time span.

Landed into DFW, nothing wrong here in the winter, and off to the D terminal for a change of pace and a 737-800

American Airlines 420
Dallas Ft. Worth to Toronto
7:35pm – 11:30pm, 2 hr 55 min flight
Business Class, Seat 5B
Food – Snack/Brunch
Equipment – Boeing 737-800

Flight was about 15 mins late, AA 420 is one of my usual flights and this flight has progressively changed its departure time from 6:45pm to now 7:35pm, I guess that’s good for connection sake but at the same time, I’ve lost my dinner for a snack/brunch. For this flight, I’ve completely trick the FAs and guess that meal would be Chicken Sandwich or Salmon Salad, it was the same as AA 1461 DFW-SFO 2 days ago. Had the appetite for the chicken sandwich, then pass out for some sleep, got to the shuttle area at 12am, got home at 2am and a 8am lecture already awaits me.

Another Round the trip over, this isn’t as exciting as my 1st which I had stops in San Francisco, Zurich, Hong Kong, Singapore, Brisbane, Sydney, and Honolulu. This one was just an expanded trip from my regular Christmas practices. It’s still filled with surprises and up and downs. I wonder where 2011 takes me, for one it took me to Wichita, Kansas
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:35 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thanks for finishing this! I did an ICT Mileage Run myself about eight years ago. Amazingly, the airport looks exactly the same!
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:40 pm

Excellent job with the report.

The LH FA screwed up the dessert on your MUC-NYC flight. They served the ice cream on top of the LID that was on the creme brulee, instead of actually taking the lid off and putting the ice cream in the cup. So the ice cream actualy melted on the lid.

I guess they didn't read the directions in the galley on how to serve it properly? Ha ha.

I had the same menu on a similar flight ex-MUC and I was told the egg appetiser had some herbs and cheese inside, but no egg (?).

I liked the spicy fruit chutney they served with the cheese on that flight - it was a "fluorescent yellow" colour.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
I'm sure this will be another great TR.

Just an FYI about AC and announcements in English and French. As an officially bilingual country Transport Canada requires all announcements to be in both official languages on our airlines. And yes, I find the number and length of announcements on AC to be annoying...doing it in 2, or sometimes 3 or 4 languages on international flights makes it even more aggravating.
On AC 9 on Oct 8 I remember hearing English, French, Japanese, and Chinese.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.