Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Iraq for New Years? Why Not!

Old Aug 16, 11, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, AmEx Cent, Misc Hotel Bling, Moms love me

I hadn't much intention to post this, but since I posted a couple others several folks have asked about this trip. Since I'm off for a 35+ day trip in a week this will be brief, but I do want to update this trip!

I have this...thing...for going to strange places for New Years. This year, we went to Afghanistan. Last year...it was Iraq. I'm hoping in a few months to set foot in that place full of pirates without a name. You get the picture.

The post will be split into these parts:

I. IAD-LHR-BRU in United Business/First, and time in Brussels
II. Brussels-Ljubljana, Slovenia in Adria Business and time in Ljubljana
III. Ljubljana-Vienna-Erbil, Iraq in Austrian Business
IV. Erbil, Iraq and adventures to the Iranian Border
V. Erbil-Vienna-Zagreb, Croatia, and a day in Zagreb
VI. Zagreb-London, Heathrow - or Hallucinating around Europe
VII. London to Washington in United Business

There are lots of pictures, lots of bacteria, and hopefully I can fill in a few blanks on places that we found remarkable few details on online before going there ourselves. I admit - it was a bit insane to head to Iraq with absolutely nothing booked but....I guess that's what adventure is all about!

Last edited by ironmanjt; Aug 23, 11 at 9:49 pm
Old Aug 16, 11, 10:49 pm

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
looking forward to this "exotic" TR, really, I am!

were you implying that you are going to Mogadishu next? (full of pirates without name) Cuz that TR would probably put your Irak/Iran, Afghanistan TR to shame... j/k

Old Aug 16, 11, 11:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I can't wait!
Old Aug 17, 11, 3:20 am

Programs: cj
ulhmmm i dont know
Old Aug 17, 11, 4:47 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Look forward to it. Particularly Part 3 which I will be taking next year.
Old Aug 17, 11, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, AmEx Cent, Misc Hotel Bling, Moms love me
Part I - IAD-LHR-BRU on United, and time in Brussels is now live!
Old Aug 18, 11, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Part II - Brussels to Ljubljana in Adria Business, and time in Ljubljana is now live!
Old Aug 19, 11, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Part III - Ljubljana - Vienna - Erbil, Iraq in Adria/Austrian Business is now live - enjoy it!
Old Aug 19, 11, 9:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Did you take the glass elevator up to the Ljubljana castle? When I visited I took the elevator up and walked back down.
Old Aug 19, 11, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BryanIAH View Post
Did you take the glass elevator up to the Ljubljana castle? When I visited I took the elevator up and walked back down.
Yep, we sure did...and with the snow falling, it was a really cool experience!
Old Aug 20, 11, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Part IV - Touring around Erbil, Iraq with Adventures to the Iranian Border is now live - enjoy! Let me know any feedback you have.
Old Aug 20, 11, 10:57 pm

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ironmanjt View Post
Part IV - Touring around Erbil, Iraq with Adventures to the Iranian Border is now live - enjoy! Let me know any feedback you have.
Iranian border, reminded me of those two poor fellow americans got 8 years of jail time each. Glad to know you are not snatched though.
Old Aug 21, 11, 10:58 am

Great TR!

I spent a few days in Erbil (or Hawler as my Kurdish friends called it) back in June (flew RJ J via AMM) and really loved it. Some of the friendliest people I've met anywhere in the world. I ran into a little trouble while trying to take a day-trip to Sulaymaniyah via Kirkuk, in that that Peshmerga all but forced my friends to drive me back to Arbil. They didn't want to let a young American into the area, and it was questionable whether my visa even allowed me to travel there (I think probably not as currently Kirkuk is not part of Kurdistan, and a referendum on the issue has been repeatedly postponed).
Old Aug 22, 11, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Part V - Erbil to Zagreb via Vienna and some time in Zagreb including the Westin Zagreb, is now live!
Old Aug 22, 11, 11:00 am
AJO

Programs: BA | A3 | AFKL | Hertz | SPG | Avis
Great report (once again!). One small detail: OS catering is done by Do&Co, not DoCoMo (which is a Japanese cellular phone company).

Search this Thread