AAA card - Do hotels check ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAA card - Do hotels check ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
I have had some places ask me for proof of AAA membership. I generally just carry the key fob with me and it doesn't have a number on it, just a barcode.

Some places have accepted this, some have not. Depends on who's responsible for checkin.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
40$ ???

They want 67$ for joining !

I think I just pass and book...
You should try calling them to sign up. I called the 800 number to sign up and they waived the new member fee so I saved $15.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 8:15 pm

Red face

or you can use the AARP rate. My husband is a member, and i have a spouse's card. i've never been asked for that card, either. Hey wait, maybe that's not such a good thing? I'm not actually that old, but maybe I look it!
Old Feb 23, 2008, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

About 10%-20% of the time I am asked for a AAA card and its usually at the lower priced hotels (ie Days Inn, Hampton Inn etc and not Hilton or Marriott). Once they noticed I had a AAA map and considered that sufficient proof I was a AAA member (and I am). AAA membership varies by your location. When I joined HI was $15 cheaper than PA.

MisterNice
Old Feb 23, 2008, 8:16 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
"I left it at home."*

*Note I actually am a member and infer nothing immoral by the above statement.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 8:39 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I've been asked more lately. The agent at the Kahala in Honolulu just asked for it and was rather careful in checking name and expiry. A bit surprising, but AAA rate was about $100 a night savings, so I suppose it's definitely worthwhile for the hotel to have the agents check.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:02 am

Programs: DL PLT, 1MM,PC Plat,HH Diamond,SkyClub, member All programs
Never been asked.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I don't get asked all the time, but moreso lately than ever before. I am a AAA member, so it doesn't matter to me. If you want to use the discount a lot, the basic AAA membership really isn't much to pay.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I've been asked about 20% of the time. Usually it's in hotels that include breakfast in the AAA rate.

IMHO, my membership fee has more than paid for itself in hotel discounts.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:43 am
Suspended

Just a little problem:

The card wont arrive until the weekend

Also the price for AAA membership seems to differ from state to state.
i just set up my online account with AAA and printed my account page. that should work.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
What hotel are you staying in? Where? When?

Yes they check, they didn't use to check at all but now they are checking pretty often. I have a card so it hasn't been a problem, but for years I was never asked. Membership vaires by state and apparently how long the cards are good for as well, since my card is valid for one year at a time only.

Hilton does not ask very often, but they have my number online and it is verified directly with aaa at booking for validity. Try entering a digit wrong and see what happens. YMMV
Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:47 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
40$ ???

They want 67$ for joining !

I think I just pass and book...
That is a one time fee, but you can use for multiple stays throughout the year. Do the math!!!
Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:58 pm

I always have gotten a better hotel deal some other way.

But once, I was phoning a hotel trying to get a good rate, and the clerk offered to give me the AAA rate even though I did not have membership.

So, if you phone up the hotel and say you'd really like to stay there, but you don't have AAA membership, but could you please have the discount, it may work.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Just another data point. Two different four points the last two nights on AAA rate. Neither asked for the card.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
What hotel are you staying in? Where? When?

Yes they check, they didn't use to check at all but now they are checking pretty often. I have a card so it hasn't been a problem, but for years I was never asked. Membership vaires by state and apparently how long the cards are good for as well, since my card is valid for one year at a time only.

Hilton does not ask very often, but they have my number online and it is verified directly with aaa at booking for validity. Try entering a digit wrong and see what happens. YMMV

Yes, but enter a valid number that is expired and it WILL work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.