Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Disgusting Things You've Seen Inflight

Disgusting Things You've Seen Inflight

Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:31 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Cynnamin
It's some kind of fruit called durian? Hate to judge what other people eat, but I couldn't understand how they were eating something w/ such vile stench. Luckily, it was only a hour flight.
Have you ever seen the show on Travel channel called "Bizarre Foods?" this guy goes around the country/world sampling some pretty crazy stuff (jellied moose snout in alaska; fresh pig intestine in NO; a variety of creepy crawlies everywhere; etc). on one episode, he tried durian. given the fact that this guy could keep down sheep testicles and tarantula, i was surprised that he could not take a second bite of durian. claimed it was just about the foulest thing he'd ever eaten. on a recent episode (NYC), he again tried durian and again failed to keep down more than one bite.

never had it, but have seen it in asian groceries. after having watched that show, i doubt i will ever try it.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 3:18 pm

Programs: CO Plat, *wood Gold, HH Diamond
Guy next to me clipping his toenails. He got through about 2 before I put a stop to it realllllly quick.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 3:38 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
Construction worker type in the window seat (I was the aisle) who laid out his damp boot socks side by side on the seat back in front of him (no one was in the seat).

Most disgusting someone once mentioned in a thread long ago is the exploding airsickness bag that was left in the seat back pocket from the previous flight.

Not so disgusting to me was the young lady in the mini that had trouble putting her suitcase in the overhead on an AA flight RDU to DFW. Seems she forgot to wear any underthings. I verified this was true by staying seated to watch her struggle to get the suitcase out when we landed!

outoftown
Old Sep 6, 2007, 4:35 pm

Years ago, TWA 727, non-revving from STL to PHX.

Used feminine napkin.
On the sink counter.

Never used so paper paper towels to stuff something in the garbage in my life. And I use a lot when killing bugs in my house. (Can't stand bugs.)

I guess I hate used feminine napkins more.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Have you ever seen the show on Travel channel called "Bizarre Foods?" this guy goes around the country/world sampling some pretty crazy stuff (jellied moose snout in alaska; fresh pig intestine in NO; a variety of creepy crawlies everywhere; etc). on one episode, he tried durian. given the fact that this guy could keep down sheep testicles and tarantula, i was surprised that he could not take a second bite of durian. claimed it was just about the foulest thing he'd ever eaten. on a recent episode (NYC), he again tried durian and again failed to keep down more than one bite.

never had it, but have seen it in asian groceries. after having watched that show, i doubt i will ever try it.
That guy is, then, a real wuss

Durian is a delicious fruit, and I vividly recommend it. The texture is...somewhere between butter and cream cheese. Granted, the smell can be overwhelming for the un-initiated, but once you sink your teeth into the delicious meat of the fruit, you'll quickly forget about that.

I'm actually serious here, although it's something that I guess most would need to "learn to love"

I would not, however, eat it in an airplane, since I would not want to upset someone with as weak a stomach as that guy from "Bizarre Foods"
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by voop
That guy is, then, a real wuss

Durian is a delicious fruit, and I vividly recommend it. The texture is...somewhere between butter and cream cheese. Granted, the smell can be overwhelming for the un-initiated, but once you sink your teeth into the delicious meat of the fruit, you'll quickly forget about that.

I'm actually serious here, although it's something that I guess most would need to "learn to love"

I would not, however, eat it in an airplane, since I would not want to upset someone with as weak a stomach as that guy from "Bizarre Foods"
I guess I'm a wuss since I just don't think I can stomach the smell again. I've forgotten the actual smell, but I just know that I don't ever want to smell it again on the plane! Guess I'll just have to live without ever tasting durian.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

You all have seen some pretty gross @&(^!
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:17 pm

Programs: United, American, Delta, Usairways, Southwest, Avis, Alamo, Hyatt, Marriot, Intercontinental
My Worst Sights

The worst for me was when I was sitting next to a man and his wife. I was in the window seat and he was in the center. He had on a pair of man-sandals .
and as many saldal wearers know, unless you take good care of your feet, they can get dry, cracked and downright ugly.

Anyway, I drifted off to sleep and when I woke up to him sitting there with his shoes off, picking at the skin on his bare feet. It didn't help that while I was trying to distract myself, I pulled out my computer, I kept finding him looking over my shoulder at the screen to see what I was doing. I was feeling very trapped by it all.

The worst part about it was that he was hearing impaired. (He and his wife both spoke in sign language throughout the flight.) I didn't know how to communicate with him (kindly) that I didn't appreciate the view of his crusty feet.

Last edited by jlr4travel; Sep 7, 2007 at 6:16 am Reason: mispelling in the title
Old Sep 7, 2007, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Cynnamin
I guess I'm a wuss since I just don't think I can stomach the smell again. I've forgotten the actual smell, but I just know that I don't ever want to smell it again on the plane! Guess I'll just have to live without ever tasting durian.
Some people compare the smell of Durian to that of "way overdue cheese" -- not sure if it's entirely accurate, but it ain't too far off
Old Sep 7, 2007, 5:53 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
How hard is it to tap him on his shoulder, point at his feet and disapprovingly frown?

Originally Posted by jlr4travel
The worst for me was when I was sitting next to a man and his wife. I was in the window seat and he was in the center. He had on a pair of man-sandals .
and as many saldal wearers know, unless you take good care of your feet, they can get dry, cracked and downright ugly.

Anyway, I drifted off to sleep and when I woke up to him sitting there with his shoes off, picking at the skin on his bare feet. It didn't help that while I was trying to distract myself, I pulled out my computer, I kept finding him looking over my shoulder at the screen to see what I was doing. I was feeling very trapped by it all.

The worst part about it was that he was hearing impaired. (He and his wife both spoke in sign language throughout the flight.) I didn't know how to communicate with him (kindly) that I didn't appreciate the view of his crusty feet.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 6:10 am

Programs: LH KL PC
Or write him a message in big bold letters on your laptop, since he was looking at your screen anyway.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Reading this I'm suddenly regretting my decision to catch up on FT whilst grabbing some lunch...
Old Sep 7, 2007, 7:41 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Some people compare the smell of Durian to that of "way overdue cheese" -- not sure if it's entirely accurate, but it ain't too far off
I've been in Singapore a few months back. In the rules and regulations of my hotel room they explicitly stated that Durian fruits cannot be brought into the hotel. I googled "Durian" and the Wikipedia entry was quite good. Seems to be a delicious fruit with a smell that can kill. If you bring it into a hotel, the hotel usually leaves the room empty for a week to give the smell time to dissipate -- and charge you for that. Durians are also not allowed on most means of public transport.

I think next time I really have to try to get my hands on them

HTB.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 9:33 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by htb
I've been in Singapore a few months back. In the rules and regulations of my hotel room they explicitly stated that Durian fruits cannot be brought into the hotel. I googled "Durian" and the Wikipedia entry was quite good. Seems to be a delicious fruit with a smell that can kill. If you bring it into a hotel, the hotel usually leaves the room empty for a week to give the smell time to dissipate -- and charge you for that. Durians are also not allowed on most means of public transport.

I think next time I really have to try to get my hands on them

HTB.
I tried it earlier this year in Hong Kong and didn't find it that hard to deal with.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:12 pm

I guess I never thought of it's smell as "way overdue cheese" since I love all kinds of cheese & usually finish them before they are "overdue."

I just don't think it's right for food to smell that bad when it's still fresh!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.