Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Barefoot airline passengers -- is it against any rules?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barefoot airline passengers -- is it against any rules?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2007, 12:50 am

A while back we were on a flight with one of the world's foremost yoga teachers. Not only did he not wear shoes while in transit, he looked quite uncomfortable when his traveling companion actually got down on his knees in the aisle and put shoes on his guru's feet in preparation for disembarking. It looked as though the yogi was incapable of putting his own shoes on, and it probably wasn't because of lack of flexibility (I looked at the pictures in his most recent book.).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...57#post4735057
Old May 24, 2007, 5:06 am

Reading these articles about barefoot airline passengers made me change minds about safety and comfort. If these people feel better barefoot then airlines should have exceptions about safety.
Old May 24, 2007, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I'd be more worried about the female pax in the exit row with high heels.

But I hate rules of almost any type, especially arbitrary ones based on someone elses ideas of taste, health or safety. Just make 'em sign a waiver until we can purge the planet of lawyers.
Old May 24, 2007, 9:52 am
Original Poster

I DID search before posting (which I always try to do) and used 'barefoot', which really only brought one thread that focused on feet (Feet [gross]--rant!). But thank you for finding those.
Old May 24, 2007, 11:16 am

Programs: CO Plat, *wood Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
[I][COLOR="navy"]Boarding a flight this weekend, I noticed a woman in front of us who was dressed in sort of luau/beach attire....wearing NO SHOES Once we settled into our seats, I was further surprised to find that she was seated in the emergency exit row!
At least she didn't start clipping her toenails, which a lovely seatmate of mine did in the past, with nails flying every which way!
Old May 24, 2007, 12:10 pm

Programs: alaska mileage plan
growing up in africa, i used go barefoot until the age of 13 (yes, even to school). never had any problems healthwise until i habitually started wearing shoes. suddenly i got all kinds a problems, from athletes foot to blisters and painfull arches.

i have absolutely no problem with anyone walking barefoot anywhere.^
Old May 24, 2007, 12:23 pm

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
I'm going to guess it's not permitted for safety reasons, i.e. in an emergency evacuation with debris around that barefoot pax is likely to slow up the other evacuees.
Old May 24, 2007, 7:04 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by AC110
I'm going to guess it's not permitted for safety reasons, i.e. in an emergency evacuation with debris around that barefoot pax is likely to slow up the other evacuees.
Funny then that high-heel shoes are ordered to be removed before using the slide... (yes, you've probably already cleared the debris, but removing the shoes is really going to slow down everyone else...

HTB.
Old May 24, 2007, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by htb
Funny then that high-heel shoes are ordered to be removed before using the slide... (yes, you've probably already cleared the debris, but removing the shoes is really going to slow down everyone else...

HTB.
They don't want a heel popping the slide.
Old May 25, 2007, 7:31 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
paging richard
Old May 25, 2007, 7:36 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Originally Posted by Aviatrix

Just because it's not the norm in Western Europe or North America doesn't mean there is anything strange, gross or offensive about it.
Oh yes there is. We wear shoes for a reason. All kinds of disgusting things live on your feet.
Old May 25, 2007, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rrz518
Oh yes there is. We wear shoes for a reason. All kinds of disgusting things live on your feet.
That's EXACTLY why many people choose to not wear shoes. If you boxed your hands in wool and leather for 16 hours a day lots of disgusting things would live on them too.

What's all this about health and safety in the air anyway??

You have to take high heels off to use an escape shoot anyway (punctures).

Airlines give you socks to wear (more and more of them instead of slippers, alas). Those socks aren't going to protect you from glass, liquid or anything else.

I don't see why it's more dangerous to navigate an airport barefoot than it is a beach (which is more likey to have hidden turds, jellyfish, sea urchins or hypodermic needles). The main danger seems to be from luggage trollies/carts.

At least the Australian lady wouldn't have released a stench on liberating her captive toes like so many others do. In fact, with regards to health and safety she'll bring far less bacteria into the plane than most of the other passengers.
Old May 25, 2007, 8:16 am

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
. . . I'm going to guess it's not permitted for safety reasons, i.e. in an emergency evacuation with debris around that barefoot pax is likely to slow up the other evacuees . . .

A related thought is that although I too will slip my shoes off in-flight, I never remove them until we're in the air as if something not-so-nice happens during take-off or landing, one wants their shoes on both for things sharp and things hot.

I don't see one who goes through life barefooted as dismissive, or indifferent ( though I'd love to see that gal fly to Chicago when it's snowing or walk through the park after someone walks their dog ). But I would characterize them as foolish if this is how they fly for the above-mentioned reasons.

Barry
Old May 25, 2007, 11:16 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jerseyfinn
. . . I'm going to guess it's not permitted for safety reasons, i.e. in an emergency evacuation with debris around that barefoot pax is likely to slow up the other evacuees . . .
By the same logic high heels would have to be strictly prohibited on board. Not only will removing the shoes hold up everyone behind, in addition not removing the shoes might puncture the slide/raft and further endanger everyone else.

Of course you're still most likely right.

HTB.
Old May 25, 2007, 11:22 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by rrz518
Which the TSA Insisit are spread around their security areas so everybody can get a share.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.