Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To date, DRO. I'm contemplating a future flight out of SOW for the novelty.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
May need to toss Hua Hin HHQ in the running for the running of the biggest airport with the smallest operation. 2 weekly flights, built to handle dozen or so a day.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
9FD2, Blackwater Creek Ultralight Airport. Flew out of there in a Cessna 172 when I went skydiving. 2300 foot grass runway.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by emika
Rurrenbaque, Bolivia. Didn't have paved runways until 2010 and the only road to the airport is frequently closed by protesters. Luckily my flights weren't affected but I was worried but the road opened two days before I was scheduled to fly there.

Terminal is just a shack and baggage drop & claim was a little section marked with paint.
RBQ also the smallest for me. We hired a military plane to fly us down there circa 2005 (down refers to altitude, albeit north in direction) from La Paz. Grass runway at the time. Pilot and co-pilot spent the day relaxing under a grapefruit tree near the "terminal."

SQV would be my second smallest. Only had commercial service for a short period in the 1990s. It's neighbor CLM had service for much longer, but as of now there is no scheduled service to the whole Olympic region.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Non-commercially, probably MQW (McRae, GA) or OKZ (Sandersville, GA). Commercially, probably VLD (Valdosta, GA) or QOW (Owerri, Nigeria).
Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:03 pm

would be Boracay... the plane/tarmac was right next to the seating area LOL!
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
If we're talking anything with a runway I've used several private airstrips on the land of private residences/businesses.

Have used plenty of airports with no commercial service.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
DIK (Dickinson, ND, USA) which I believe gets 1-3 United Express ERJ-145 flights a day.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
TTN. Best part was the flight info board at the gate (if you can call it that). It was literally a sign that said Gate 2 and had a half piece of paper (torn not cut from the other half) under it with "Cleveland" written on it.

I ended up there under bizarre circumstances returning from LHR, haven't returned, but hope they invested in a proper flight info board.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:22 pm

LCK. It's primarily a cargo airport and has intl cargos daily with CBP presence, but only passenger carrier is Allegiant.

"International Terminal" has 2 gates IIRC.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:42 pm

Greenville, Mississippi. About 15 years ago I was on a flight was from Shreveport to Memphis, with a stop in Greenville. I was the only one on the plane, and when we stopped in Greenville I had to bang on the pilot's door to get them to open the door to deplane. The pilot asked me if I were sure, since this was really a mail run and no one ever got off there. He then had to call the terminal - as I use that term loosely - to get them to open the door.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Airport: GJT - Grand Junction, Colorado (220k passengers last year) followed by ZQW - Zweibrücken, Saarland Germany (250k passengers the year I used it; Commercial services shut down in 2014).

Airfields: A dust strip somewhere in South Africa. Very cool flight on the Cessna Grand Caravan.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ginoa724
LCK. It's primarily a cargo airport and has intl cargos daily with CBP presence, but only passenger carrier is Allegiant.

"International Terminal" has 2 gates IIRC.
I can claim three USAF flights at LCK when it was still Lockbourne AFB: two orientation flights during ROTC summer camp, and an unscheduled landing en route back to ITH from an ROTC detachment visit to SZL (Whiteman AFB MO) ... our T-29 (military version of the Convair 240) lost oil pressure in one engine so the pilots had to shut it down and feather the prop ... I may still have a photo of that somewhere; if I can lay hand on it, I'll take a pic with my phone and post it here
Old Nov 4, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I finally have an appropriate post for this thread. My KL flight from TXL last week couldn't land in AMS and got diverted to GRQ (Gronigin, NL). Only one or two commercial flights a day.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
I've flown into a lot of small commercial airports, but I think the smallest was either Ísafjörður, Iceland or Scottsbluff, Nebraska.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.