Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the name of gadget that stops airline seats from reclining?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know the name and/or website of the anti seat recliner gadget for airline seats? I saw someone selling them about a year ago and can't fine out the name of the item. Thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:19 am

I think you are talking about the knee-defender. Dont waste you money, most airlines do not allow it on board.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
I know a FA who tells people who have used them that she will have LEO meet the flight upon arrival for tampering with on-board equipment and altering airline property!
Old Feb 5, 2007, 7:38 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by KMHT FF
I know a FA who tells people who have used them that she will have LEO meet the flight upon arrival for tampering with on-board equipment and altering airline property!
I know of a certain fairy that comes and gets one's teeth as they fall out, and of a certain bearded portly fellow who delivers gifts in a sleigh around Christmas every year.

That FA is dreaming.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:16 am

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
Originally Posted by flyordie
Does anyone know the name and/or website of the anti seat recliner gadget for airline seats? I saw someone selling them about a year ago and can't fine out the name of the item. Thanks!
Just buy a seat at the front, or travel with an airline that doesn't have reclining seats. Might I recommend Ryanair for all your European travels?
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:37 am

Thumbs down

To anyone who wishes to purchase this item:
I think it's very selfish and rude of you to want to do that to someone who is equally entitled to recline their seat as you are (and wouldn't surprise me while you stop their seat you happily recline yours..??). If you need their seat to be forward for a MOMENT simply ask them or ask a flight attendant to ask them. Meanwhile you waste flight attendants time while they try and fix it.

I hope flyordie that you are only trying to find information about this product etc for curiosity reasons (as I am going to do now) but do not buy one
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:42 am

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
When I'm on a really super-tight pitch airplane I tap the person in front of me on the shoulder and ask them to *warn* me before they recline so that I can move my knees. (Where? Overhead storage! Certainly not safe to stick them into the aisle when the FA's are going to come down with their steamrollers!)

Anyway, the situation falls into three buckets:
1> Teeny people who smile and then never recline
2> Normal people who either warn you or forget but really meant to
3> Jerks who smash back on you without a care in the world.

But at least I can predict what's going to happen.

That's why I carry music, head-phones, and a good history book.:-)
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:16 am

The topic of the rights to recline airline seats has been debated ad nauseum on this board. Clearly there is mixed feelings among the travelling public. Yet the airlines themselves have done nothing to prevent those seats from reclining.

I view that as the airlines giving permission for passengers to recline. I would support my argument by mentioning that the old ash trays in the armrests are now firmly shut as a way of preventing things from being put in them.

So, as long as seats will recline, passengers have the right to recline them. How they do that (fast, or slow) is an issue of courtesy, for sure. But I would be royally pissed if someone jammed my seat and prevented it from reclining just so they wouldn't be inconvenienced.

Incidentally, I recline my seat in teeny increments. A tiny little bit, then a little bit more. That sort of warns the person behind me that I'm about to recline.

Rita
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
I think there's someone on this board that is applying for a franchise.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
I know of a certain fairy that comes and gets one's teeth as they fall out, and of a certain bearded portly fellow who delivers gifts in a sleigh around Christmas every year.

That FA is dreaming.
Really? How would you know?

I've seen the LEO reports where the perpetrators were fined.

Ho ho ho!
Old Feb 6, 2007, 12:01 am

Programs: Mile High Club! Not really, but it got your attention
It used to be in the SkyMall Magazine...as for allowing it onboard... the stewardess couldn't care less... And FAM's no... no time for such silly things.

My suggestion, google it and bring it onboard as much as you'd like to. Would you like a pillow that's been through seven flights today? I'm kidding, get yourself a PamBee. Smooches!
Old Feb 6, 2007, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Wow. I didn't expect a debate. I will tell you I just came back from India with two 8 hr flights to get back home. With Both flights, the person in front of me reclined fully back. I did speak politely with the persons and they refused to upright there seat somewhat. I left it at that. I was interested in this gadget/item. I didn't think it would set off a debate for/against the item. After some research on the knee defender, I decided not to buy it.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:13 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by KMHT FF
Really? How would you know?

I've seen the LEO reports where the perpetrators were fined.

Ho ho ho!
Because assuming the pax ceases use of the device when asked by the FA, no LEO will charge anyone with anything. And if they do, it won't hold water in court.

I know this because I know the person who commands a watch for the CPD at ORD and the guy who runs the Allegheny County PD force at PIT. And I've spoken to them in the past about FAs and the stupid calls they've received to meet aircraft post-9/11.

I even asked the former what he (or his officers) would do upon arriving at an aircraft and being told the pax was using a "knee defender" and had removed it upon request. He informed me that they'd walk the pax off the aircraft, take their statement, let them go, and immediately inform the airline station manager and the appropriate chief pilot in question that it better not happen again. And then have a rather stern word with the captain who called it in.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Because assuming the pax ceases use of the device when asked by the FA, no LEO will charge anyone with anything. And if they do, it won't hold water in court.

I know this because I know the person who commands a watch for the CPD at ORD and the guy who runs the Allegheny County PD force at PIT. And I've spoken to them in the past about FAs and the stupid calls they've received to meet aircraft post-9/11.

I even asked the former what he (or his officers) would do upon arriving at an aircraft and being told the pax was using a "knee defender" and had removed it upon request. He informed me that they'd walk the pax off the aircraft, take their statement, let them go, and immediately inform the airline station manager and the appropriate chief pilot in question that it better not happen again. And then have a rather stern word with the captain who called it in.
Well that's mighty fine and mighty dandy and I'll take your word for it.

But what does or doesn't happen at PIT or ORD quite clearly does not limit what happens at other stations.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 1:00 pm

Wow. I didn't expect a debate. I will tell you I just came back from India with two 8 hr flights to get back home. With Both flights, the person in front of me reclined fully back. I did speak politely with the persons and they refused to upright there seat somewhat. I left it at that. I was interested in this gadget/item. I didn't think it would set off a debate for/against the item. After some research on the knee defender, I decided not to buy it.
When the PAX in front of me is like that, I would suddenly get the urge to go to the lav every 30 minutes. I also make sure to accidentally bump their seat while getting up, especially while they're sleeping. Of course that doesn't happen because I'm to chicken to provoke them in that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.