FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is the name of gadget that stops airline seats from reclining?
Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:13 am
ClueByFour

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by KMHT FF
Really? How would you know?

I've seen the LEO reports where the perpetrators were fined.

Ho ho ho!
Because assuming the pax ceases use of the device when asked by the FA, no LEO will charge anyone with anything. And if they do, it won't hold water in court.

I know this because I know the person who commands a watch for the CPD at ORD and the guy who runs the Allegheny County PD force at PIT. And I've spoken to them in the past about FAs and the stupid calls they've received to meet aircraft post-9/11.

I even asked the former what he (or his officers) would do upon arriving at an aircraft and being told the pax was using a "knee defender" and had removed it upon request. He informed me that they'd walk the pax off the aircraft, take their statement, let them go, and immediately inform the airline station manager and the appropriate chief pilot in question that it better not happen again. And then have a rather stern word with the captain who called it in.