Recliner Blocker

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recliner Blocker

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
I usually don't recline either out of courtesy, and if I do, I only go about halfway. Flying in coach is miserable enough as it is without someone's seat in your face.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, US Air Silver Preferred, BA ExecSilver
Originally Posted by Kibison
Don't forget "shade-hole" - the person who refuses to lower their shade even after the FA's request it during movie time.

Also, "express-hole" - person in the grocery store express checkout line with 50 items.

I never fly coach anymore unless it is a short LGW-AMS hop and then I have enough status to get bulkhead seats. I have had too much dandruff fall in my food to deal with recline-holes anymore.
Sorry, but I have trouble reading with the overhead lights that don't even come close to shining on one's book etc, so I usually lower my shade halfway - does that make me a "shade-hole", especially when I see that no one else is even looking at the movie - (in FC)
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:08 pm

How about if they make only the middle seats recline. Windows and Aisles don't. That way those that have to recline can do so all the way to the back of the plane and those of us that don't recline can get the good locations.

(Putting on my flameproof non-reclining underwear now)
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mapsmith
How about if they make only the middle seats recline. Windows and Aisles don't. That way those that have to recline can do so all the way to the back of the plane and those of us that don't recline can get the good locations.

(Putting on my flameproof non-reclining underwear now)

I think you have it backwards. Middle seats suck anyway, so make them non-reclining. MOST people want to recline, the anti-cliners can take the middle-holer.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by planemechanic
I think you have it backwards. Middle seats suck anyway, so make them non-reclining. MOST people want to recline, the anti-cliners can take the middle-holer.
^ That would greatly enhance the shoulder room of the aisle and window seat occupants - which is the biggest problem of an occupied middle seat, IMO.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:33 am

I am trying to think of one that would not subject you to arrest. Any ideas?
If you get caught, there are plenty of other ways to make life miserable for the offending party.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 4:58 am

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Originally Posted by wrose99
Farting. Shifting in your seat frequently. Using their seat back for balance when you're returning to your seat from a lavatory trip. Striking up a conversation with one of their seat mates and carrying it on through a long flight (if the seat mate is social).
Old Oct 3, 2006, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by wrose99
Also, direct your air vent wide open on the offending party's head. Ipod foot tapping to the music on their seat support. Reporting your suspicions of possible drug smuggling to Customs officials. (I have never done this but I imagine you probably shouldn't use this one too often)

The best thing is to not fly in coach. People in J and F tend to be more considerate. Not a hard fast rule, there are alway exceptions.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:22 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Also, direct your air vent wide open on the offending party's head. Ipod foot tapping to the music on their seat support. Reporting your suspicions of possible drug smuggling to Customs officials. (I have never done this but I imagine you probably shouldn't use this one too often)

The best thing is to not fly in coach. People in J and F tend to be more considerate. Not a hard fast rule, there are alway exceptions.
(emphasis mine)

You mean people in J and F, in general, would not direct their air vent on the reclining party's head, would not tap the seat to the music of their iPod, would not make false accusations? Sounds like a good reason to fly J or F then...

HTB.

Last edited by htb; Oct 3, 2006 at 6:23 am Reason: added emphasis
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by htb
(emphasis mine)

You mean people in J and F, in general, would not direct their air vent on the reclining party's head, would not tap the seat to the music of their iPod, would not make false accusations? Sounds like a good reason to fly J or F then...

HTB.
Like I said, there are always exceptions. Actually, I enjoy reading how angry people get (present company not included) when I throw around comments on reclining seats. It is like bringing up religion, abortion, or global warming. I am not affected by these folks anymore but I do enjoy reading their comments. Thank goodness news forums are anonymous. I think there are some folks on OMNI who would kill me if they could find me.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 8:43 pm

Don't forget "shade-hole" - the person who refuses to lower their shade even after the FA's request it during movie time.
One of the reasons I like the window seat is because it has a window. I find that looking at the scenery from 35,000 feet is almost always more interesting than the movie being shown. So I guess that I am a "shade-hole". If you really want to watch a movie, perhaps you should bring a laptop or DVD player and the movie of your choice.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 1:01 am

Grand daughter takes DVD on trans-pacific flights...but she lowers shade at start of airline movie as requested by FA...I guess just thoughtful or subject to authority-figure directive. Interesting nowdays.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cordelli
Airlines should make left side of the plane no reclining seats, right and center seats can recline.

This way, people like me who hate people who recline, and don't do it unless nobody is behind me can sit in peace and quiet.
I like that idea.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 3:37 pm

Programs: CO Silver; DL FO; SPG Gold; HH Gold
You haven't posted anything past a bit of information on the Knee Defender. It's apparent you'd like more room on planes, so why not say that and explain your reasoning? There are many carriers with first class domestic seats at a not-too-horrible price. You can always book on one of those if you want more legroom. I do understand that you might be a tall or large person and not feel like you have to pay extra to travel comfortably, but unfortunately planes are designed for the "average" traveler. I'm comfortable in a coach seat, and quite happily spoiled in anything more, so I guess I can't fully understand. But I haven't heard friends complaining about coach seats unless they're well over 6'.

I don't see anything "inhumane" about not providing more space. Animals don't have a choice when you confine them (usually.) You have a choice of whether or not to get onto that plane. Patterning airline seat requirements after animal cruelty laws is just ridiculous as they are completely different things.

Originally Posted by dragon888
So if I cut out 20% of coach seats I have a loss of revenue. Bad.
Yes, your airline goes out of business.

I must cut costs or increase revenue or both. Lets cut out meals, snacks, beverages, earphone pillows, blankets, and newspapers.
Strange, almost all carriers still seem to provide snacks and beverages (and those that charge for basic beverages tend to provide better items.) Pillows and blankets as well; just ask for one upon boarding if you're not on a long-haul flight.

Charge extra for heavy bags and make sure there is no chance to weigh your bag prior to check-in. Charge a premium for passengers who are larger than normal based on body weight and size statistics from 1955.
It's pretty easy to weigh bags at home. Or you can get one of those hanging travel scales. OR you can be one of those annoying people who spends 10 minutes shifting stuff around at the check-in counter. (Yes, I've done that, though not to such a great extent. But I've never seen an airline not let someone move stuff around while checking in.) There are VERY few airlines charging passengers for extra seats—and the weight statistics have been updated in the last few years.

Why don't I get a discount for being a bit shy of 5' 7" and weighing 120lbs? I don't complain that people twice my size don't pay twice the price since they use twice the fuel.

Dramatically increase the fines and penalties against passengers who are 5 minutes late of the 90 minute check-in because they got stuck in security. Deny boarding and sell your paid seat to a standby.
Sorry, but this is just getting stupid at this point. You obviously check-in BEFORE security in most countries. If you have to be at check-in 90 minutes prior to boarding, that means you give yourself some extra time. I've missed a couple of flights that I've paid for myself. I'll haggle with the ground crew to rebook me for free, and that has worked once or twice. But if I'm late and they either cancel my ticket or charge me hefty rebooking fees, I know it's MY fault.

Increase the price of business class tickets. After all most of them are paid, not by the passenger but by the employer or other corporate entity that is claiming a tax deduction.
And where do you get your facts from? Please show me what percentage of domestic and international tickets in all 3 major fare classes (coach, business, first) are paid, or are award tickets, or are upgraded from a cheaper fare class. I don't have the statistics myself, but I suspect you would be surprised what portion of international business class travel is award travel or upgraded with certificates/miles.

Originally Posted by cordelli
Airlines should make left side of the plane no reclining seats, right and center seats can recline.
I like this. If I'm in Y and plan to sleep, I'll sit in the center or right. If I plan to be awake, I'll sit on the left and not have to assume my laptop or meal might be reclined into.

Last edited by karthik; Oct 6, 2006 at 3:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.