Wiki Posts
Search

How to transit from ORD to MDW airport?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2006, 6:36 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

How to transit from ORD to MDW airport?

It's probably been covered before but I can't find a thread on this topic. Anyone out there able to offer advice or a link to an older thread?
Old May 30, 2006, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
It's probably been covered before but I can't find a thread on this topic. Anyone out there able to offer advice or a link to an older thread?
Taxi or Omega Airport Shuttle

Public transit requires going downtown and back out again, will take you nearly two hours.
Old May 30, 2006, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
UA should provide a free shuttle service, since they have major operations in both of them. With TED, there is not an option to go to ORD.
Old May 30, 2006, 6:59 pm
tgw

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Taxi or Omega Airport Shuttle

Public transit requires going downtown and back out again, will take you nearly two hours.
Very true. Omega Shuttle is probably your best option. But if you are still interested in taking CTA. Just get on the blue line to DT and then the orange line out to Midway.
Old May 30, 2006, 7:39 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tgw
Very true. Omega Shuttle is probably your best option. But if you are still interested in taking CTA. Just get on the blue line to DT and then the orange line out to Midway.
Do the CTA trains leave from inside ORD? Do they arrive inside MDW?
Old May 30, 2006, 7:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I've never travelled between mdw and ord, but I have gone downtown from both. They do leave/arrive from within the airports.
Old May 30, 2006, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
At ORD, the CTA train station is in terminal 2. The MDW station is on the far side of the parking garage, and is about a 10 minute walk from the terminal.
Old May 31, 2006, 2:52 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you love trains and have a bunch of time you could take the el all the way from ORD to MDW and vv. A bunch of time = at least 80 minutes for the ride alone.
Originally Posted by redbeard911
UA should provide a free shuttle service, since they have major operations in both of them.
UA does not, even though they have operations in both airports I'm not sure why that would be a reason to offer a free shuttle service.

--
Old May 31, 2006, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've done it a few times...always via CTA. It's about an hour and twenty minutes in transit. With all the walking on both ends, plan for 1:45 max. You will probably beat that by a few minutes.

The drive in perfect conditions - walk outside, jump in a cab, no traffic - is maybe 45 minutes.

With traffic, it could vary widely. Waiting for a shuttle could vary widely. I'd probably do for a cab if you are in a big hurry or the train if 1:45 is acceptable.
Old May 31, 2006, 3:50 pm

Programs: NWA Silver
If you have the time, take the CTA blue/orange. It's a heckuva lot cheaper than cab or shuttle, plus you get to see dtown.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Lightbulb $23 coach usa one way

http://www.coachusa.com/tristateunit...d=733101949240

@:-)
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:41 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As we have a Travel->Chicago forum, please visit that forum as this thread's new home. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by redbeard911
UA should provide a free shuttle service, since they have major operations in both of them. With TED, there is not an option to go to ORD.
By free I take it you mean subsidized by all UA pax flying into/out of ORD and MDW? Lots of cities have multiple airports: DC, NY, LA just to name three. None of them provide anything "free." And, none should.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
By free I take it you mean subsidized by all UA pax flying into/out of ORD and MDW? Lots of cities have multiple airports: DC, NY, LA just to name three. None of them provide anything "free." And, none should.
Just to defend United a little bit here: they do not, nor am I aware that they ever have, marketed or sold itineraries to passengers that involve a Chicago connection with both MDW and ORD involved. I've flown through Chicago probably 200 times to cities east, west, and north and never seen it. (That is, an unsuspecting passenger does a regular search on XXX-YYY and gets both Chicago airports in the middle.)

If I have an XXX-ORD,MDW-YYY itin, then it's only because I went out of my way to book a multi-segment itin that way. I should naturally be responsible for getting myself from one to the other. Maybe it makes sense to save a few hundred bucks off of a flight or maybe you're doing it to get the last flight of the night...either way, I wouldn't expect the airline to run a bus service for it.

(BTW, is UA still really at MDW? This thread is 5 years old.)

I don't believe any airline does this for ORD/MDW. I would hope that booking engines that construct multi-airline itins don't do it either (although that's somewhat out of the airlines' control).
Old Aug 15, 2011, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped

(BTW, is UA still really at MDW?...
Nope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.