Wiki Posts
Search

Skipping last leg

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Skipping last leg

Hi,

I am flying to Dublin to Sao Paulo in December and returning in January. I've researched extensively and came to the conclusion the cheapest city to fly to sao paulo from is Zurich with a connection through CDG (Paris). Finally, I would just make my own way to Zurich from Dublin through a low cost carrier. Only problem is there are no ideal reasonably priced flights from Zurich to Dublin at the time I land. I am proposing skipping this last leg with Latam Air lines from CDG to Zurich and flying from Paris to Dublin.

My question is: is it possible to ask the airline not to book me through to Zurich but to let me collect my bags in Paris?

Also, any advice on cheaper ways to do this would be greatly appreciated?

By the way the savings are set out as below:

Book return from Dublin to Sao Paulo: approx. €1,100-1,200
Book as set out above: approx. €750
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Generally no they won't short check without a good reason, your bags will be checked through to Zurich

The CDG-ZRH leg will either be on Air France or Swiss, not LATAM
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Don't check a bag is one choice, or try and get a long layover (8+ hours), where you could ask for your bags overnight.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:55 am

Is the a flight from ORY to ZRH you can book? This would make it easy to short check the bag.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It will depend on the carrier, but most carriers see these requests as red flags for hidden city ticketing fraud, as here.

You have no way of predicting in advance whether your bag will be checked through to ZRH, so you must plan on it. Either don't check a bag or purchase a ticket terminating at your destination.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:02 am

If your flight is cancelled or delayed, the airline still has a duty to get you home. For them that will mean finding you a flight to ZRH.

That means even if you have no bags, a good reason, book from ORY instead of CDG or have a long (overnight) layover booked, you might still end up in Zurich.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
some other options for OP to consider:
  • what's the price of an open-jaw ZRH-GRU-CDG?
  • what's the price of an open-jaw ZRH-GRU-LON/MAN/EDI/GLA, any of which would be a very short (and probably not outrageously expensive) hop to DUB?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.