Who's Going to Watch the Eclipse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who's Going to Watch the Eclipse?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CBear
I'm sorry, schools are closing for the day? Why??

Good heavens. The eclipse will last just a couple of minutes. How are they justifying this?
I suspect it might be a liability issue. Teachers can't prevent some kid from looking at the sun without the special glasses.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect it might be a liability issue. Teachers can't prevent some kid from looking at the sun without the special glasses.
Some schools here are keeping kids inside for this reason.

When I was in elementary school (early 90's) we had an eclipse and practically the whole school was outside looking up Good old days lol
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:23 pm

I'll actually be on WN 1577, one of the advertised "Celestial Chaser" flights from SW. The flight will land right around the time of the eclipse. I haven't flown in there for a long time. What's the best route for me to get a clear view of the sky from the ground once I land at STL?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Flying BOS>SFO>EUG as I type this! My cousin and her family live in tiny Adair Village, OR, smack dab in the path of totality.

Only issue I anticipate will be getting back to EUG for my flight home immediately afterward, though I'm hoping most of the traffic is instead headed north to PDX. Had no choice but to fly back Monday afternoon to position for a TATL trip starting Wednesday. Here's hoping I don't have to test out UA's SDC policy....
We flew out of Eugene yesterday afternoon, and the airport was pretty quiet. There don't seem to be any extra flights or anything, and it's a quiet airport. A guy at a coffee shop closer to the totality region said people had been flying in in private aircraft and camping at municipal airfields and paying $$$ to camp in farm fields. Your only issue will probably be the roads from wherever you watch back to where things open up a little in Eugene. Hotels and campgrounds weren't full during the week, so it doesn't seem like there were a ton of people getting in place early and they'll all be trying to get into place today and tomorrow.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:50 pm

I am! But my house is in the path of totality so I don't have to go anywhere. That being said, I plan on taking my dog to the dog park during it, because it's further in the path of totality by a couple miles, it's a wide open space so no buildings in the way, and who doesn't love dogs and science?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
We have one school district that is pulling that crap, the rest required signed approval from parents. Our kids will be outside for the full event, lasting 2 hrs if I recall. School has made it fun (but safe in planning) for the kids. We have spent the last few days discussing the importance of wearing the provided glasses, as have the teachers, and even local media. Sadly it looks like we may have enough cloud cover tomorrow that the event may turn out to be a dud.

As for me, I will walk out my front door and enjoy it, and likely collect a few shanked golf balls from the golf course next to me.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by t325
I am! But my house is in the path of totality so I don't have to go anywhere. That being said, I plan on taking my dog to the dog park during it, because it's further in the path of totality by a couple miles, it's a wide open space so no buildings in the way, and who doesn't love dogs and science?
Do you have special glasses for your dog?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Do you have special glasses for your dog?
Nah, dogs have evolved over the years to be able to detect "once in a lifetime" events (which occur every few years apparently) with their noses. No glasses needed.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Now in Spring City, TN

We've arrived in Spring City, TN. Found a close-in parking space and have found a bench in the park near the water. Steady stream of people coming in.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:01 am

Well, woke up to a gloriously rainy, cloudy crappy day. Was supposed to get 65% partial eclipse.

Oh well.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
No traffic on I-40 east thus far, plus it's sunny. ^ En route to my friend's farm now.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by CBear
Well, woke up to a gloriously rainy, cloudy crappy day. Was supposed to get 65% partial eclipse.

Oh well.
I'm just north of Portland, OR, and at T-2 hours we are having the kind of weather that Portland is *not* known for. Sunny, with a cloudless blue sky. Gonna be a beautiful day!

We are supposed to hit 99%, and that's close enough for me.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Heavy rains in KC from 9am until 10am and winds from the SSW meant than Plan A (heading north) was ruled out by my group. We instead headed east, and the skies cleared around 11:30am at Odessa MO -- just under two minutes of glorious totality at 1:09pm central daylight time.

I think from central Missouri eastward the skies remained clear, at least until the Appalachians.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:19 pm

Our international (IB) school chartered buses to take students to the eclipse, departing around 3 am and supposedly driving to a good viewing location. They arranged it this way because they said that hotels weren't available.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:11 pm

Odessa was cloudy when I was heading east on I70. Sounds like I got there too early. I ended up near Sedalia with a thin cirrus cloud in front of the sun, but at least the corona was easily visible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.