Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who's Going to Watch the Eclipse?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by kb9522
The one in 2019 is not far away either... Argentina and Chile.
EZE airport will be on the edge of 100% totality.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:56 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Tanic
EZE airport will be on the edge of 100% totality.
That's an opportunity for cheap eclipse flights that never leave the ground but just taxi over to it!
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by sethweinstein
It might be "once in a lifetime" in that I don't know if I'd make the same effort again, having done it once, but I'm sure glad I did it once.
if you did 12hrs for 2 minutes, surely you can do <5 hours to Oswego for 3.5 minutes. It's simple math....

(actually, I'd probably do the same with 5 hrs and a chance of clouds, having already seen it once. But 2 hours for me is a go)

For others who are curious - it's a mid-afternoon Monday again.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I watched it near Salem. Traffic was hell and we slept in a Farmer's front yard on Sunday night...but it was totally worth it. Don't even bother watching an eclipse unless you are in the path of totality. The difference is literally night and day.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
points to ponder:
  • totality at Monte Grande (eyeballed to be maybe 10 km from EZE, pretty much along the track of the lunar shadow) is just over one minute; at La Serena Chile it's approx 2:15 (iirc the duration of totality for this week's event ranged between approx 2:10 and 2:45)
  • July is the middle of winter in the southern hemisphere
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I ended up driving to Madisonville, KY to see the total eclipse. As everyone else has said, it was totally worth the trip!! So much more to it than the 2 minutes of totality. Even having to deal with miles and miles of backed up traffic crossing from Evansville into Kentucky didn't seem so bad due to the anticipation.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:11 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by andyh64000
I watched it near Salem. Traffic was hell and we slept in a Farmer's front yard on Sunday night...but it was totally worth it. Don't even bother watching an eclipse unless you are in the path of totality. The difference is literally night and day.
My son and daughter in law took Coast Starlight Amtrak to Portland from Los Angeles. Stayed with relative not far from Salem.They loved the experience of the total eclipse; crickets chirping at 10AM,leaves closing and Venus directly overhead. They are still excited about the experience. They agree that is "was totally worth it"
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I ended up driving to Madisonville, KY to see the total eclipse. As everyone else has said, it was totally worth the trip!! So much more to it than the 2 minutes of totality. Even having to deal with miles and miles of backed up traffic crossing from Evansville into Kentucky didn't seem so bad due to the anticipation.
I was fortunate to be in Wyoming with crystal clear skies and unlimited visibilities.

A close second to seeing the corona was seeing the sun illuminate the ground in all directions outside of the moon's shadow. 360° sunset!
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
points to ponder:
  • totality at Monte Grande (eyeballed to be maybe 10 km from EZE, pretty much along the track of the lunar shadow) is just over one minute; at La Serena Chile it's approx 2:15 (iirc the duration of totality for this week's event ranged between approx 2:10 and 2:45)
  • July is the middle of winter in the southern hemisphere
Totality will occur just seven minutes before sunset in Ezeiza. This could be even more stunning than the recent eclipse.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Tanic
A close second to seeing the corona was seeing the sun illuminate the ground in all directions outside of the moon's shadow. 360° sunset!
Agreed. And also the changing light in the last few minutes before totality. It was all so fascinating!!
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Was in Madras, OR

Subj. It was beyond cool! It was AWESOME!

Don't regret 800 miles driving, Bay Area->Eureka->Grand Pass->Madras with waking up at 3AM in Eureka and then driving for 7 hours, sleeping in the car at Madras airport lot, etc - everything worth it, including what was going on ground.

Regarding the whole experience on ground - I think close to total madness without manifestation of the madness itself - 400 private planes landed and took in 2 days. People came in 10000 cars and RVs, 120000 people came in town of 6000.

What I have learned that difficult is not to get in, but get out. The first car was able to leave parking lot drive off at 2PM - 3h after the eclipse and there was absolutely no movement on roads for 3-4 hours. I drove off at 4:30PM and at 1:30AM I was able to reach Weed, CA, where I had one night at a motel. BTW, findling any lodging that night anywhere between OR and CA was a considerable challenge.

Now I plan to travel to places where eclipse is going to happen. For the next one in Chile/Argentina - which location would have better weather?

Last edited by invisible; Aug 25, 2017 at 10:30 pm
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by invisible
What I have learned that difficult is not to get in, but get out. ... there was absolutely no movement on roads for 3-4 hours.
we drove ~60 miles from our hotel in Boise to a "large field" in Smiths Ferry where we had secured a reserved parking space for $20 about three weeks earlier ... about an hour and twenty minutes (pretty much what I expected) for the northbound drive, mostly on two-lane highway; if I had to guess, there were easily 800 vehicles (six rows of maybe 30 spaces for overnight campers, and probably 15 rows of 40-45 spaces for day parking) in the field

we got into the car about 20 min after totality ended, and an hour and twenty minutes later were maybe halfway along the paved access road from the field to the highway ... it took another four hours until we were back at the hotel

Last edited by jrl767; Aug 25, 2017 at 10:39 pm
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:29 pm

we drove ~60 miles from our hotel in Boise to a "large field" in Smiths Ferry where we had secured a reserved parking space for $20 about three weeks earlier ... about an hour and twenty minutes (pretty much what I expected) for the northbound drive, mostly on two-lane highway

we got into the car about 20 min after totality ended, and an hour and twenty minutes later were maybe halfway along the paved access road from the field to the highway ... it took another four hours until we were back at the hotel
So it took you 5 hours to drive 60 miles, correct? So 12 miles per hour. Comparing to this 260 miles from Madras, OR to Weed, CA for 9h was not that bad?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the first mile to the highway took 1+20; 19 miles to the next junction took close to two hours (maybe 25 min for the first 13 miles, an hour and a half for the last six); the next 21 about an hour (again 2/3 of the time to cover the last four or five miles); then maybe 45 min for the last stretch on four-lane highways and city streets
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:16 pm

the first mile to the highway took 1+20; 19 miles to the next junction took close to two hours (maybe 25 min for the first 13 miles, an hour and a half for the last six); the next 21 about an hour (again 2/3 of the time to cover the last four or five miles); then maybe 45 min for the last stretch on four-lane highways and city streets
Yep, BTW, google maps was quite good to propose alternative country roads but at the end one had to come back to Route 97 where all the congestion was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.