Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"14 Airport Hacks" - Seems Wrong/Unethical

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by Bakpapier
People can ask me for my WIFI password and I will provide it to them free of charge for them to use when they pass my apartment if they want. However I do not live in the centre of the city so odds of passing my appartment unless you need to be there are very very slim.
Excatly, they have to ASK, and you give your permission, totally different scenario
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Amex HHonors Surpass, HHonors Gold
Anyone can use my wifi if they ask my password.

I never asked for completely open wifi at airports without any form of logging in or passwords. All I ask for is free wifi. And in fact I prefer if it is secured by some sort of log-in as most open wifi networks are.
Again - that's all well and good. But stealing WiFi is not the answer in places where it's not currently free. There is nothing you can say and no opinion you can express that can justify theft of services, full stop.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by redheadtempe33
It is unethical, but I can absolutely say this works (or at least used to). I used to work for an airline, and a card with a genuine Visa/MC/Amex number (even pre-paid with $0.00 balance or an HSA or FSA card) will work because the auths aren't in real time. They work for inflight purchases too (food/alcohol). I don't know if this is still the case, but they did work in the past. I know some airlines don't take gift cards for this specific reason (and yes, the system can tell the difference), but pre-paid cards worked. I would imagine it didn't work for inflight internet because of the real time nature of the CC auth.

At least for the airline I worked for, they asked the FA's to look out for it for in-flight purchases (FSA cards are usually labeled as such), but ... only so much you can do.
Is that the case when airlines have on-board WiFi and therefore have the capability of getting real-time authorization? It's been well discussed that this used to be possible on airlines, but now that they can authorize in real-time, (at least many airlines on many flights,) I imagine they mostly do, which would seemingly block this option
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
Except that the people who are offering the internet for sale do not 'own' the internet. You can't sell something that you don't own (that you in fact cannot own).

Maybe because we have many, many more passenger train stations than there are in America, and far superior train service for passengers, and often for lower fares than in America (partly state-subsidized).
If you have "many, many more passenger train stations" then you should have more than enough money derived from the services provided to those stations to provide free restrooms at them
Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:02 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by ryanbryan
If you have "many, many more passenger train stations" then you should have more than enough money derived from the services provided to those stations to provide free restrooms at them
Just keep in mind that:
1) trains have toilets on board, so if you have a ticket you essentially have free toilet access, so virtually none of the passengers will use station toilet facilities
2) Stations are often just normal city buildings in downtown. (And I don't often see free public bathroom facilites in US downtowns)

However I've found non-downtown stations do tend to have free toilet usage, it's only the big stations that have a paid service.

Also, increasingly, european train stations do have free wifi available, at least in the countries I live-in/frequent.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Originally Posted by ryanbryan
Sigh, Americans.... So exhausting.

The money you save on train tickets in europe (vs the US) is way more than the 50 cents it costs to use the restroom at major train stations. And there are free toilets available in the trains themselves.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sigh, Americans.... So exhausting.

The money you save on train tickets in europe (vs the US) is way more than the 50 cents it costs to use the restroom at major train stations. And there are free toilets available in the trains themselves.
So if it's a cheap train, it's OK to charge money for a basic human right - the right to use the bathroom; but it's never acceptable to charge for WiFi, so much so that we should actively ways to game the system in order to steal internet access? Am I understanding this correctly?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
So if it's a cheap train, it's OK to charge money for a basic human right - the right to use the bathroom; but it's never acceptable to charge for WiFi, so much so that we should actively ways to game the system in order to steal internet access? Am I understanding this correctly?
No you are not understanding this correctly because you are not reading what I am saying.

You can use the toilet free of charge in the train, if you don't want to pay 50 cents to use the toilet at the train station.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 3:36 pm

They now offer tools that block the passenger infront from reclining his seat also.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DavidVenuto
They now offer tools that block the passenger infront from reclining his seat also.
And using them can get you removed from the flight. They are all banned by the airlines.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No you are not understanding this correctly because you are not reading what I am saying.

You can use the toilet free of charge in the train, if you don't want to pay 50 cents to use the toilet at the train station.
The toilet on the train is nowhere near the quality of those in the station AND is only accessible to someone riding the train. Someone not riding the train (say an arriving passenger) is stuck, no different than an arriving flight passenger is "stuck" without WiFi
Old Oct 30, 2016, 1:51 am

The toilet on the train is nowhere near the quality of those in the station AND is only accessible to someone riding the train. Someone not riding the train (say an arriving passenger) is stuck, no different than an arriving flight passenger is "stuck" without WiFi
I really dont know what yoru deal is with the toilets in a thread that is not about toilets.

An 'arriving' passenger will be arriving from, you know what? A train. With a toilet.

If you want a very clean premium toilet as opposed to the filthy train toilets then I think 50 cents is a very reasonable price to pay for that. If you cannot pay those 50 cents for some reason then you can use the filthy train toilets.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I really dont know what yoru deal is with the toilets in a thread that is not about toilets.

An 'arriving' passenger will be arriving from, you know what? A train. With a toilet.

If you want a very clean premium toilet as opposed to the filthy train toilets then I think 50 cents is a very reasonable price to pay for that. If you cannot pay those 50 cents for some reason then you can use the filthy train toilets.
I don't have any "deal" with toilets. It just seems strange that you have no problem making someone pay for a toilet but seem ti think it's acceptable to steal WiFi
Old Oct 30, 2016, 2:37 am

I don't have any "deal" with toilets. It just seems strange that you have no problem making someone pay for a toilet but seem ti think it's acceptable to steal WiFi
And it seems strange that you are unable to read my posts.

At train stations, you can use the toilet in the train for free.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And it seems strange that you are unable to read my posts.

At train stations, you can use the toilet in the train for free.
Ya, not the same. There are myriad of workarounds, but the basic passenger in a European train station can't use the toilet for free. Knowing that the train in 4 hours will have a toilet doesn't help now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.