Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lipstick usage by check-in agents?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:48 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by kochleffel
BTW, are we talking about male or female employees?
That's laugh out loud funny!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I worked for a BigLaw that used to be very specific about its dress code requirements for women, including requiring women to have manicured fingernails (and the lengths and colors allowed), and yes, we were required to wear light make-up, including wearing lipstick. Then again, we were also required to wear stockings, even in summer. That was the worst.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ysolde
I worked for a BigLaw that used to be very specific about its dress code requirements for women, including requiring women to have manicured fingernails (and the lengths and colors allowed), and yes, we were required to wear light make-up, including wearing lipstick. Then again, we were also required to wear stockings, even in summer. That was the worst.
But were you made aware of this before you started the job? Because in this thread that GHA was not
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by GadgetGal
But were you made aware of this before you started the job? Because in this thread that GHA was not
Not in such specific terms, no. The hosiery thing was well-known. The manicure thing I found out once I got the job. It never bothered me (it was something I did in any event, and "the colors" were colors I used anyway). It would never have occurred to me to show up at work without make-up. There were times (after a few hours, a cup of tea, after lunch), when I had to re-apply my lipstick/gloss if I was going to someone else's office or someone was coming in to see me. But again, these were things I would do anyway.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
TBH the insistence on companies like BA insisting on their female staff wearing (IMHO) far too much make up is actually an irritant for me.

As was said up thread, looking smart and groomed is far more important than slathering thick gloopy lipstick on their faces along with caked on foundation and OTT eye make up. As most of the female staff are young and pretty anyway, it's just not necessary!

So a smart and efficient check in agent is all I ask - she doesn't need to look like a painted doll!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by CarolynUK
TBH the insistence on companies like BA insisting on their female staff wearing (IMHO) far too much make up is actually an irritant for me.

As was said up thread, looking smart and groomed is far more important...
Agreed. I'm likely to notice if someone has too much (i.e. more than a little) lipstick on; I probably won't notice if someone's wearing none. Groomed and competent, with an emphasis on the latter, are what count.

Regarding whether this applies -- or should apply -- to male or female employees...we have a long way to go, but I'd just as soon have one rule that applies to all. Wear a uniform that fits and your choice of pants or a skirt, whichever you choose. Wear makeup in moderate amounts if you like, regardless of gender.

Seth
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:05 am

personally, i'm offended at any company that requires its female employees to wear lipstick. let them wear it if they want to.

the simple test of whether a rule like this is reasonable, is that the rule applies equally to male and female employees.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Are your staff wearing your uniforms or customer uniforms? If the former, then your uniform standards would prevail, whatever those may be. If the latter, then the customer can specify grooming standards but must provide all items to support the grooming standards specified.
Why must the customer or employer provide cosmetics and grooming instruments? These aren't similar to the sort of uniform that cannot be worn elsewhere.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why must the customer or employer provide cosmetics and grooming instruments? These aren't similar to the sort of uniform that cannot be worn elsewhere.
Many airlines such as Emirates are very specific as to the shade of lipstick, brand of perfume, etc.. that may be worn by staff and these constitute part of the uniform standards. These customers must then provide the uniform items (including the cosmetics) as part of the contracted grooming standards.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just checking in here to note that I find this to be an exceptionally odd thread. No criticism of anyone implied.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: US Gold
I am of the class of women who do not own makeup in any form, so i'm far more likely to think airline employees are wearing way too much than to notice if they've skipped it. Agree with CarolynUK re BA staff: I really dislike the overly made-up appearance they have and the overly formal uniforms. I'd rather see an FA wearing clothing that gives them the maximum ability to move and respond in an emergency than clothes intended as corporate wank to impress me.

wg
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by wendyg
I'd rather see an FA wearing clothing that gives them the maximum ability to move
You would definitely love Vietjet's female FAs' uniforms.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by invisible
You would definitely love Vietjet's female FAs' uniforms.
Are you referring to their business cabin attire, that designed for coach or, the explicit uniform for leisure destinations ?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:52 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by onobond
Are you referring to their business cabin attire, that designed for coach or, the explicit uniform for leisure destinations ?
Which one do you prefer?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Worrying about whether/how much lipstick is on an agent's face is a sign that a stick has been inserted far too far and far too firmly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.