Reload this Page >

Adverse Action from Buying Refundable Tickets for Lounge Access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adverse Action from Buying Refundable Tickets for Lounge Access

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:25 am

Every business should continually adapt to meet the needs of its customers. If there are people doing this then the airlines should recognize the demand and reach out to allow them lounge access without the need for pretend flying. Monetize it with some allowance depending on tier status, followed by a charge for any subsequent visit. Going after the most loyal customers and dispatching "corporate security" squads to investigate every fraudulently consumed donut doesn't seem very much like a businesslike response.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
Every business should continually adapt to meet the needs of its customers. If there are people doing this then the airlines should recognize the demand and reach out to allow them lounge access without the need for pretend flying. Monetize it ...
They do already. In most cases, lounges have a day pass option. Many of the posts we see here about people buying fraud tickets to get lounge access are for lounges that have a ~$50 day pass option. It's not that people can't get into the lounge, but that they don't want to pay the price.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Efrem
On the other hand:

1. Cutbacks in onboard meal service are a reduction in benefits. Getting food from a lounge is one way to restore some of that benefit.

2. Increases in aircraft capacity and load factors, combined with fixed gate area seating, are a reduction in benefits (adequate seating). Getting a lounge seat is one way to restore that benefit.

3. Increased use of mobile devices, combined with fixed gate area outlets, is a reduction in benefits (ability to charge one's device). Charging it in a lounge with sufficient outlets to meet demand is one way to restore that benefit.

I'm sure people can think of more.
Still feels like a stretch. (Especially 2 and 3...airlines have never promised us power outlets. ) I know I'd personally struggle to use that logic to a friend or colleague, let alone explaining it to an airline agent if I actually got caught.

Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
Every business should continually adapt to meet the needs of its customers. If there are people doing this then the airlines should recognize the demand and reach out to allow them lounge access without the need for pretend flying. Monetize it with some allowance depending on tier status, followed by a charge for any subsequent visit. Going after the most loyal customers and dispatching "corporate security" squads to investigate every fraudulently consumed donut doesn't seem very much like a businesslike response.
They kind of do that already. If you're a midtier elite on a major alliance going on almost any kind of long-distance trip, you probably have lounge access. If you aren't, you can usually buy a daypass.

I have the Citi Prestige card that costs me a net $200/yr. It includes AA club access when I fly AA and Priority Pass lounges when I don't, both with 2 adult guests permitted. To me, that's incredibly cheap lounge access. I use the lounges, using this card, around 20-25 times per year, at least half of those with 1-2 guests. It's like $5-10 bucks per visit, even if I don't value that credit card for anything else.

Lounges are *more* accessible now than ever.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL PM
On the other hand:

3. Increased use of mobile devices, combined with fixed gate area outlets, is a reduction in benefits (ability to charge one's device). Charging it in a lounge with sufficient outlets to meet demand is one way to restore that benefit.
This is honestly laughable. People using more electronics is a reduction in benefits by the airline? There are plenty of actual examples of cutbacks that you shouldn't need to resort to this.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I can see the circumstances where, for one reason or another, your appointment gets cancelled while you are in the lounge - at which stage you cancel the ticket, leave the Lounge and try to leave the airport (although how you would actually do that is open to question).

But the cost of getting to the airport just to have some free food and wine would surely outweigh the cost of having the equivalent free food and wine in town.

So, not only is it theft, it's also stupid.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
Still feels like a stretch. (Especially 2 and 3...
Originally Posted by third_wave
This is honestly laughable...
I don't really disagree. I was mostly raising these points for the sake of debating.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by pinniped
How often does a celeb popular enough to attract that kind of crowd actually have to fly commercial? I guess out of the main TPAC hubs on the West Coast...flights beyond the range of most private jets...??

When we get a significant celebrity in Kansas City, they land at the downtown airport (MKC). I've driven by there and seen fans gathered there along a fence, 50 yards or so from where the jets park, when someone especially "big" is flying in for a concert or whatever.
All the time. It might be F but for B list and down, it's usually commercial. I guess "crowd" is relative...10-20 people airside trying to get autographs, etc. can seem like a lot.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
+1000.

This is the same guy who sneaks into a Fairfield Inn to score that awesome breakfast they're so well-known for...
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I can see the circumstances where, for one reason or another, your appointment gets cancelled while you are in the lounge - at which stage you cancel the ticket, leave the Lounge and try to leave the airport (although how you would actually do that is open to question).

But the cost of getting to the airport just to have some free food and wine would surely outweigh the cost of having the equivalent free food and wine in town.

Indeed. I'm in Frankfurt a lot, which has probably one of the top F lounges in the world. Now Fankfurt itself is not the most happening place in the world, but there is no way I'd choose a free entry to the FCT over any of the great restaurants in town, never mind blocking thousands of $ for the privilege!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:03 pm

That lounge in particular would be pretty awkward to leave without flying... You would absolutely be noticed.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
1. Cutbacks in onboard meal service are a reduction in benefits. Getting food from a lounge is one way to restore some of that benefit.
Part of cost cutting to keep ticket prices down. Want to pay higher ticket prices?

2. Increases in aircraft capacity and load factors, combined with fixed gate area seating, are a reduction in benefits (adequate seating). Getting a lounge seat is one way to restore that benefit.
Same as above. We voted with our wallets to have smaller seats on the plane in exchange for cheaper tickets.

Seating capacity on the ground isn't the airline's problem.

So don't use your phone so much. I never have to recharge at an airport.

But the bottom line to all of this is that the services you want are available. At a price. But a premium ticket, get premium service. Buy lowest cost you can get ticket, get low cost service.

You pays your money, you makes your choice.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:04 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
For a variety of reasons, I think it's time we put this thread to rest:

1) OP has gotten several links and anecdotes in response to the original question
2) Posts are veering off-topic
3) This activity is prohibited under most airlines' Contract of Carriage, and promoting fraudulent activity upon a company is not allowed by the FT Rules.

Thanks for your understanding.

/JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.