Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adverse Action from Buying Refundable Tickets for Lounge Access

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Adverse Action from Buying Refundable Tickets for Lounge Access

Not here to debate the ethics of using refundable tickets to get lounge access.

But has there been any documented adverse action of doing it? If yes, what happened and how did they find out?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...-1226811109390

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...suspended.html
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

I'm not doing 1st class flights/lounges....
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You may get away with it a few times.

You risk losing all of your FF miles if they catch you.

Good luck!
Old Jun 25, 2016, 1:49 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
I'm not doing 1st class flights/lounges....
If you occasionally buy a refundable ticket just to get past security (in lieu of asking for a gate pass) so that you can use the lounge access you've already bought a membership for, then I don't know that anybody will notice/care.

Can you elaborate on what you're trying to accomplish?
Old Jun 25, 2016, 3:11 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by mikew99
If you occasionally buy a refundable ticket just to get past security (in lieu of asking for a gate pass) so that you can use the lounge access you've already bought a membership for, then I don't know that anybody will notice/care.

Can you elaborate on what you're trying to accomplish?
Probably buying a ticket having lounge access included (e.g. international business class ticket), while not having a lounge membership card.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 3:17 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Why not just go to a restaurant and after the meal leave without paying the bill?

See also OPs other thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...l#post26827769
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Did it once at SYD. There was a FlyerTalk Do there (one of the early OzFests) and we met up at one of the Qantas Clubs after an airport tour. I bought a refundable round trip to MEL to get in as AA Executive (at the time) Platinum.

Results:

1. A good time was had by all until we were kicked out as a group for abusing the access policy and general rowdiness.

2. I lost about $2 on USD-AUD exchange rate fluctuations between when I bought the ticket and when my refund went through.

Nothing else.

Around the same time, I was told by an AA EP desk agent I was dating about a well-known FTer, also EP, who regularly flew around the country in paid F. When he had to spend time at an airport with a Flagship Lounge (there were more of them then) he wasn't allowed to because he wasn't on an international itinerary. So, he'd buy refundable tickets to continue from wherever he was going to somewhere else overseas. He'd use them to get into the FL and then get his money back. AA was totally onto what he was doing, discussed it internally with management, and decided to let him keep doing it because his business was so profitable. I don't think he knew they knew, but thought he was really putting one over on them.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

But has there been any documented adverse action of doing it? If yes, what happened and how did they find out?
Since this thread topic clearly has ethical dimensions, why would you attempt to ban debate about such?

There was a thread here several months ago in which a person with a PAiD lounge membership wanted to meet a client in an airport lounge. A gate pass would have gotten him access, but he purchased a refundable ticket instead. My initial assessment was that he was unfairly gaming the system, but I revised my opinion to "neutral" upon further thinking.

However, based upon my understanding of your post, I'm inclined to place it in the "extremely unethical" column.

With respect to your question about airlines disciplining persons with such nefarious intentions, both Lufthansa and China Eastern have hit back hard, and they surely aren't alone.

Have you considered asking your company to reimburse you for a lounge membership?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Originally Posted by moondog
Since this thread topic clearly has ethical dimensions, why would you attempt to ban debate about such?
Perhaps because it has been done to death in many other threads...
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Note also that many airlines will take six to eight weeks to process your refund. If you are ok with carrying a balance of several thousand dollars for a refundable international business class ticket through a full credit card cycle, then I suggest maybe spending a little time on Economics 101 to figure out how much effective interest you are paying for this lounge access. Usually buying Priority Pass is cheaper.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Note also that many airlines will take six to eight weeks to process your refund. If you are ok with carrying a balance of several thousand dollars for a refundable international business class ticket through a full credit card cycle, then I suggest maybe spending a little time on Economics 101 to figure out how much effective interest you are paying for this lounge access. Usually buying Priority Pass is cheaper.
There doesn't have to be any interest if the credit card is repaid in full at the end of the cycle (which is how I think most people have it set up). If by interest you mean the opportunity cost of not being able to keep the equivalent amount in your savings account then assuming ticket price of $4,000 and 1% interest p.a. on the savings that would be about $3 if the ticket is refunded sometime in the second month. Realistically, it would be even less than that, as most people maintain a non-zero balance in their zero interest-yielding current accounts anyway.

In any case, unless I missed something, the cost seems negligible -- unless there is currency conversion involved, and then it's a different story altogether.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
There doesn't have to be any interest if the credit card is repaid in full at the end of the cycle (which is how I think most people have it set up). If by interest you mean the opportunity cost of not being able to keep the equivalent amount in your savings account then assuming ticket price of $4,000 and 1% interest p.a. on the savings that would be about $3 if the ticket is refunded sometime in the second month. Realistically, it would be even less than that, as most people maintain a non-zero balance in their zero interest-yielding current accounts anyway.

In any case, unless I missed something, the cost seems negligible -- unless there is currency conversion involved, and then it's a different story altogether.
I'm not suggesting crying a balance on the credit card, I'm assuming that there is an opportunity cost to tying up say $4,000 for a couple of months (and it isn't about leaving it in your 0.05% bank account). If a person genuinely thinks that it's a good idea to lock away $4,000 in order to access a lounge, then they really shouldn't have that much money in the first place. There are plenty of better ways to put it to use.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere

You may not be here to discuss the "ethics" of doing this, but unless your question is purely academic, which you don't make clear, may of us are appalled. It's like asking about the best way to rob a bank.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
You may get away with it a few times.

You risk losing all of your FF miles if they catch you.
If you use your exact name spelling and your favourite FFP ... then yes that could happen.

If you go as a GM with a typo on the ticket, maybe a ticket from an alliance partner, you should be covered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.