Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boom $5k return - 3.4 hours LHR/JFK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
There is more chance of a Titanic II or the original Concorde flying again. Why spend $5000 on this when you can get an ex-EU fare in first for less than that?
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:26 pm

Because you have an important meeting in London on Tuesday morning, an equally important meeting in New York on Tuesday afternoon, need to be back in London Wednesday morning and don't fancy a red-eye.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by esspeebee
Because you have an important meeting in London on Tuesday morning, an equally important meeting in New York on Tuesday afternoon, need to be back in London Wednesday morning and don't fancy a red-eye.
So you just use Skype, or postpone the meeting. Even with a 2.5h flight which is faster than Concorde is still doesn't give you the ability to attend two meetings.

Assuming one meeting started at 9 and ended at 10.30, you could be at LHR by 11.00, assuming the supersonic flight was at 12.00 you could be in JFK by 2.30pm. By the time you taxi, disembark, and clear customs and immigration is is 4.00pm. You get to the meeting by 4.30pm and finish at 6.00pm. Very optimistic and very tiring.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dean Cooperfield_West
There is more chance of a Titanic II or the original Concorde flying again. Why spend $5000 on this when you can get an ex-EU fare in first for less than that?
I guess I didn't tell you about the time I flew SSC in the morning to NYC, signed off on a deal, had a glass of champagne, got on the 1400 return Concorde, and had a drink t home in Chelsea (London) with my wife at 2300, about 14 hours after I left the house that morning. Best way to travel.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I guess I didn't tell you about the time I flew SSC in the morning to NYC, signed off on a deal, had a glass of champagne, got on the 1400 return Concorde, and had a drink t home in Chelsea (London) with my wife at 2300, about 14 hours after I left the house that morning. Best way to travel.
Maybe I should tell you about that time when a client tried to get hold of me but couldn't because I wasn't at my desk where the phone was...

Times change.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:43 pm

So you just use Skype, or postpone the meeting. Even with a 2.5h flight which is faster than Concorde is still doesn't give you the ability to attend two meetings.

Assuming one meeting started at 9 and ended at 10.30, you could be at LHR by 11.00, assuming the supersonic flight was at 12.00 you could be in JFK by 2.30pm. By the time you taxi, disembark, and clear customs and immigration is is 4.00pm. You get to the meeting by 4.30pm and finish at 6.00pm. Very optimistic and very tiring.
Except that the five hour time difference means that your 2.5 hour flight taking off at 12:00 lands at 09:30...
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Sometimes you just need to be there in person. This particular deal required a person physically present in NY to sign eight copies of a sale/purchase agreement. It wasn't a bad day!
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Sometimes you just need to be there in person. This particular deal required a person physically present in NY to sign eight copies of a sale/purchase agreement. It wasn't a bad day!
Sounds eh... super cool.

(And I mean that. I am also truly nostalgic for the days I did not have an electronic slave bracelet!)
Old Mar 24, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
CNN News article today: there's an impression of the aircraft parked at T5 gate A23: http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/24/aviati...inkId=22650330

Old Mar 25, 2016, 1:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by enjoyingit
...until someone finds a way of eradicating the sonic boom...
Not eradicate, but work has been done to reduce the effect. Not sure if these BOOM folks have access to that research though.

Quiet Supersonic Platform

IMO they need to eradicate the NAME: that will be the bigger hurdle!
Old Mar 25, 2016, 1:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by London_traveller
I read that too and very briefly wondered if it was BA. But there are so many reasons why BA wouldn't go for this kind of thing right now, in terms of commercial viability, risk, etc, I can't believe it's BA.

But if not BA (nor Virgin who are already mentioned), which other "major London-based airline" would it be?
The quote doesn't say *another* European london-based carrier. It could be the case that they're partnering with Virgin and Virgin has (also) signed a letter of intent.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If someone actually builds the boomless jet at scale, that vastly changes the economics of supersonic. London-New York wasn't a big enough niche to justify a fleet in the long run, but add to TATL all of the North American transcons as well as the Europe-ME-Asia overland routes and it's a different story.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 7:43 am

That is the worst name for an airline. I'd be afraid that mentioning the airline's name within earshot of a TSA agent is going to get me in trouble.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Welcome to the Titanic II, BTW:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_II
Old Mar 27, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
I always figured they could make a killing doing LAX-NYC flights this way, of course they would need to deal with the noise issues. Lets say I could leave at 9 am, arrive in LA at 7 am. Could leave LA at 3 pm, and be home by 7 pm, that would be a great deal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.